Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 03:56 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
The taxes are subjective, that is for sure. My opinion is still up in the air in regards to Maine's taxes, however I will say that so far the state income tax seems fairly low. I do believe that Mainer's pay more for goods. For example, if you smoke you will pay 2 to 3 dollars more for a pack then you would in Wisconsin. Beer is about 9 dollars a six pack and that is even for beer is literally brewed down the street while if you bought this same beer-even if shipped all the way to Wisconsin-would somehow pay at least 2 dollars less for it.
At the VFW in Old Town a frosty mug of beer is $2.10

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 10:07 AM

63 posts, read 649,730 times
Ok folks, I've narrowed my choices to Maine and New Hampshire. I appreciate all of the input, especially those that have come to me privately. I would be moving from Wisconsin and want to make the most informed decision I can for my family and I.

Let me get more specific. I'm looking for a good community between 10k and 40k people - not too busy or crowded but not dead either. Need some decent shopping places, eat out quite a bit so a good number of restaurants would be nice, a YMCA maybe (some place to work out) and good job opportunities (My background is sales/management, currently Chaplain of a max prison) and affordable housing - this might be the most difficult item. I'm not asking too much am I???

Old 06-20-2008, 10:11 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
At the VFW in Old Town a frosty mug of beer is $2.10

At the Amvets in Yarmouth a bottle of beer is only $2.00!

Old 06-20-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
At the Amvets in Yarmouth a bottle of beer is only $2.00!

At the American Legion too.

The VFW had to raise their prices when the mill closed.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:20 PM

230 posts, read 876,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerNut View Post
I'm looking for a good community between 10k and 40k people - not too busy or crowded but not dead either. Need some decent shopping places, eat out quite a bit so a good number of restaurants would be nice, a YMCA maybe (some place to work out) and good job opportunities (My background is sales/management, currently Chaplain of a max prison) and affordable housing - this might be the most difficult item. I'm not asking too much am I???
Sorry folks, I know we are on the Maine board, but I have to put in a plug for NH. You've all done such a good job of talking up Maine!! After all, nothing separates NH and Maine but an imaginary line. It's all good! I would investigate the Littleton NH and surrounding towns. Sounds like it may be a good fit. Having grown up north of the Notch, I know northern NH and the White Mountains like the back of my hand. I love it up there.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta View Post
Sorry folks, I know we are on the Maine board, but I have to put in a plug for NH. You've all done such a good job of talking up Maine!! After all, nothing separates NH and Maine but an imaginary line. It's all good! I would investigate the Littleton NH and surrounding towns. Sounds like it may be a good fit. Having grown up north of the Notch, I know northern NH and the White Mountains like the back of my hand. I love it up there.

An imaginary line?

I thought it was a bridge crossing a river.

That and how much cheaper property taxes are up here.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:58 PM

230 posts, read 876,095 times
Quote:
An imaginary line?

Heh! Can't argue with you about the property taxes. They almost put us in the poorhouse!!

Old 06-20-2008, 06:51 PM

63 posts, read 649,730 times
Quote:
An imaginary line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta View Post
Heh! Can't argue with you about the property taxes. They almost put us in the poorhouse!!
I'm not trying to be brainless here but this whole tax thing is confusing me. I've heard some people say ME's taxes are terrible but then someone else comes back and says it depends... The same goes for NH. Can someone clarify this? I also hear it depends on where you are. I guess I look at it as high taxes are high taxes no matter where you are in a state, help me out. Thanks.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerNut View Post
I'm not trying to be brainless here but this whole tax thing is confusing me. I've heard some people say ME's taxes are terrible but then someone else comes back and says it depends... The same goes for NH. Can someone clarify this? I also hear it depends on where you are. I guess I look at it as high taxes are high taxes no matter where you are in a state, help me out. Thanks.
Okay I will try.

Income taxes are different for each person. Each different level of income, falls into a bracket, each bracket is taxed at a different rate. Maine's highest tax bracket taxes the richest people at a rate which is about in the middle nation wide. Personally I do not earn a high enough income to qualify me to pay income taxes in Maine. So Maine's income taxes do not effect me.

Each state has it's sales tax, gas taxes, hunting license fees, fishing license fees, dog license fees, blah blah blah. Some folks will argue that Maine's fees for each of these things are high. Depending on how much a person is used to paying in other states, a person may move to Maine and be paying less.

Then we have property tax. The state of Maine figures out how much state services cost the state and how much to charge each county. So each county has it's own mil rate. Then each township takes the county mil rate and adds to it. Each service that a town provides, must be budgeted, and is added onto their mil rate. A town with a lot of services, will have a higher mil rate. A town with few services will have a low mil rate. I live in Maine, and our mil rate is lower here, then any other home that we have owned.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:19 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,758,066 times
Quote:
An imaginary line?

Don't forget though, you can deduct your property tax on your income tax returns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine