Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:41 AM

34 posts, read 133,435 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We recently found mold in the basement. I was wondering if any of you have had the same problem and how you fixed it. We had the home inspector pop round who did the initial inspection before we bought the house. He said the Humidex system may be the way to go. Has anybody installed this system, is it any good?. Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:09 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,339,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fife View Post
Hi all,

We recently found mold in the basement. I was wondering if any of you have had the same problem and how you fixed it. We had the home inspector pop round who did the initial inspection before we bought the house. He said the Humidex system may be the way to go. Has anybody installed this system, is it any good?. Thanks in advance for any help.
Ta Da.... I am a humidex system story.
We bought our house and noticed this mold problem. I was terrified we were all going to get sick .

Then 3 years ago, we bought it, and POOF. GONE.
No more sweating windows in the winter too.
I highly recommend it.

They are tall slim and never needs any changing (Water that is)

My parents got one years before us for there log home, but they got one that has a chamber for water to be removed from.
We don't have that problem. It kicks on when the air becomes moist.

Good luck to you ( we got ours in Canada an it was only about 400.00 and worth every penny.

Last edited by peachie_in_maine; 07-31-2008 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: ~

Old 07-31-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
Ta Da.... I am a humidex system story.
We bought our house and noticed this mold problem. I was terrified we were all going to get sick .

Then 3 years ago, we bought it, and POOF. GONE.
No more sweating windows in the winter too.
I highly recommend it.

They are tall slim and never needs any changing (Water that is)

My parents got one years before us for there log home, but they got one that has a chamber for water to be removed from.
We don't have that problem. It kicks on when the air becomes moist.

Good luck to you ( we got ours in Canada an it was only about 400.00 and worth every penny.

Thanks Peachie, it's great to hear a success story. Your advice is invaluable as the Humidex system is not cheap. Did you install it yourself?. We know nothing about DIY, which means we would have to pay for installation as well. We have been told numbers around $1200 which seems very high.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:35 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
We just run a de-humidifier in the cellar and the mold dries up in about three days.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:39 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,879,428 times
We always have run a dehumidifier in the basement as well. Around $150 for the unit and no dampness or mold issues.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:43 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Mine would probably work better if the bulkhead closed good and the cellar window wasn't a screen!!!

Old 07-31-2008, 10:58 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,339,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fife View Post
Thanks Peachie, it's great to hear a success story. Your advice is invaluable as the Humidex system is not cheap. Did you install it yourself?. We know nothing about DIY, which means we would have to pay for installation as well. We have been told numbers around $1200 which seems very high.
I'm glad, I wish I had this information years before.
We did install it ourselves. Very easy and works amazing. I will get back to you on where we bought it. With the easy installation and the no fuss, you may enjoy the ride to pick it up and save so much. I'll find out just where and can find out what the costs are today for them.
Give me some time.

P.s.
Ours measures 7ft tall (apprx6inches off the ground~)
It's only 11" x7 1/2" Very slim and not overpowering at all.
I'll find out more for you. If it helps save you tons of money and we have had ours for over 4 years we recommend it. The name on it says Humidivent.

Last edited by peachie_in_maine; 07-31-2008 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: p.s.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:11 AM

121 posts, read 338,383 times
A dehumidifier is a good choice, plus it can be moved around where needed. I just shampooed the carpet upstairs, and dragged the unit up there to help dry the carpet.

A more permanent solution might be an air-to-air heat exchanger, which will bring in fresh air, but drop the moisture out before it has a chance to condense in the basement. The current units are almost 90% efficient, and use very little power, compared to active dehumidifiers.

Depends on what your living habits are in the basement, as to what is the best solution. I am not a fan of the humidex type units. They can work very well in certain conditions, and very, very poorly in others. remember that when you vent a basement, the make-up air has to come from somewhere, and it is typically more warm, moist air. if there is no place to collect that moisture, it will condense on everything on its way through the basement to the fan unit.

dm me for specific recommendations

Old 07-31-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
We just run a de-humidifier in the cellar and the mold dries up in about three days.
I wonder how much a dehumidifier costs to run per month. The humidex is supposed to be around $3 per month.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
I'm glad, I wish I had this information years before.
We did install it ourselves. Very easy and works amazing. I will get back to you on where we bought it. With the easy installation and the no fuss, you may enjoy the ride to pick it up and save so much. I'll find out just where and can find out what the costs are today for them.
Give me some time.

P.s.
Ours measures 7ft tall (apprx6inches off the ground~)
It's only 11" x7 1/2" Very slim and not overpowering at all.
I'll find out more for you. If it helps save you tons of money and we have had ours for over 4 years we recommend it. The name on it says Humidivent.
Thanks again, I literally know nothing about DIY so would probably pay to get it installed. The house inspector gave us a card of a local company. It's crazy we now have a mitigation system, sub pump, pontentially Humidex system and a monthly payment to keep the carpenter ants at bay. It certainly isn't cheap owning a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: