Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 01:17 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to share this since it made my day. My daughter needed a gold Olympic-type medal for a presentation at school. After calling several sporting goods stores, I found one in Rockland that sells these types of medals for $8 each. When I went to the store to buy it, the owner asked what I needed it for. When I told him that it was for a one-time thing, he told me that I could just borrow it and return it whenever I was in the area again. Gotta love life in Maine! This would have never happened anywhere else we've lived...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 01:25 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Just wanted to share this since it made my day. My daughter needed a gold Olympic-type medal for a presentation at school. After calling several sporting goods stores, I found one in Rockland that sells these types of medals for $8 each. When I went to the store to buy it, the owner asked what I needed it for. When I told him that it was for a one-time thing, he told me that I could just borrow it and return it whenever I was in the area again. Gotta love life in Maine! This would have never happened anywhere else we've lived...

Well that doesn't surprise me one bit.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:28 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
nice

Old 10-30-2009, 01:35 PM

218 posts, read 580,308 times
Guess what? This gal currently living in TX remembers our family's adventure in Maine in the 90's when we lived there for eight months. Very special wonderful people - We still correspond with several of them after all these years. This story of the medal doesn't surprise me, either!

Old 10-30-2009, 02:59 PM

783 posts, read 1,575,129 times
Wink goodness

lovemaine - I'm pretty sure I know which business you're talking about, and I'm not surprised. I will add that the kindness couldn't have happened to a nicer person !

Good community abounds...the folks who live across the street from me, where I'm having a small house built, anyhow, have just made an extraordinarily kind offer to me.

My neighbors across the street from where I'm having a small house built go south for the winter. My house isn't ready & I have to be out of where I've been renting this past year. They caught wind of this down at the "General Store," and asked me if I'd like to stay in their place - a wicked nice, little, old farmhouse - until I could move into mine. Just gave me the key and said make yourself at home.

We are blessed by good community!

Old 10-30-2009, 03:18 PM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Maureen I love that.....people taking care of other people.....not for profit but out of neighborliness and kindness. I have run into that kind of thing at various points in my life....there are good people scattered across the country...I know there are the other kind...but thank god for the kindness and generosity of strangers.....without them....what would we do?

Old 10-30-2009, 03:55 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
lovemaine - I'm pretty sure I know which business you're talking about, and I'm not surprised. I will add that the kindness couldn't have happened to a nicer person !

Good community abounds...the folks who live across the street from me, where I'm having a small house built, anyhow, have just made an extraordinarily kind offer to me.

My neighbors across the street from where I'm having a small house built go south for the winter. My house isn't ready & I have to be out of where I've been renting this past year. They caught wind of this down at the "General Store," and asked me if I'd like to stay in their place - a wicked nice, little, old farmhouse - until I could move into mine. Just gave me the key and said make yourself at home.

Thats real nice

Old 10-30-2009, 04:12 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post

What a wonderfully, generous offer. Priceless. I agree with Elston.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:13 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Very nice!

Old 10-30-2009, 06:02 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Really nice to hear these stories; good people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine