Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2021, 09:48 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,118,291 times

Advertisements

Hello, I find myself exploring an option on a condo in Belcamp on the site of the old Bata shoe factory. I'm aware that it was an EPA superfund cleanup site and Clark Turner built the units in 2005. I also hear that their events center is quite active with weddings and other gatherings and such.

I was wondering if anyone had first hand knowledge of the property and is aware of anything negative in the news lately about that area? We know some folks who live across Bush River from there and we are familiar with the scenery, just wondering if there are any ghosts in the closet so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,112 times
It's right across the water from APG and if you have ever been in the area on munitions testing days (and they are frequent) it's LOUD and intense.
That office complex and events facility, are both very busy and bring a lot of traffic. In general there isn't much in the area other than offices and warehouses. There is a styrofoam manufacturer right at the edge of the condo property, and I can't help but wonder about the safety of that. It seems like for the $$$ of those condos you could do better. You have to traverse Rte 40 to get anywhere, and well, it's just not very pretty. Safe enough, I feel fine being in that area, but i work there, and don't live there. I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:16 AM

Thanks for the feedback. We took a virtual tour of the condo in question with my agent there in Belcamp and decided to pass. While the owner took care of most of the condo and it was highly customized to his tastes in 2005, it was still gonna need a redo of the kitchen and water heater. My wife is familiar with the area and the environmental issues of the past as she performs environmental remediation projects for the Army and travels to Aberdeen frequently.

So if she was comfortable with that location I would think it’s fine from an environmental standpoint.

The attraction she had with the place was the wildlife you’d be around every day including eagles. The condo featured panoramic views of the banks of the water from within the condo as it had many wide windows.

In the end, we decided to pass. She’ll be renting a place in Elkton until we find “the one”.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:33 AM

123 posts, read 108,079 times
Good idea. I would not highly recommend that area for the price they want. While those condos are nice, the area is sandwiched between Aberdeen and Edgewood. Both are not great places.

And like MrsMimi said, its location on Rt. 40 is pretty undesirable.

Old 06-16-2021, 11:28 PM

Well as far as the location on rte 40 is concerned, keep in mind you’ve got new office buildings in there with high tech companies and also that future kids science place they are planning there. They are hoping to attract 100k visitors over there near the post office in belcamp with this new facility
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: