Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 03:14 PM

11 posts, read 43,591 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may be moving to the Baltimore area this Summer. We have an almost-five year old and an almost-two year old, so top schools is our number one priority. We've heard great things about Ellicott City and were planning on looking there. Anyone know which schools in Ellicott City are considered to be the best ones? We'd like to be able to narrow down our search to houses which feed into great schools. We've also heard good things about Howard County Schools, but because the district is so large, we're having a difficult time narrowing down our search. (Where we're from in NY, the districts are much smaller, making it a bit easier to look in a smaller geographic area.) Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 06:36 PM

297 posts, read 1,273,745 times
I know that it's not going to be an issue for you for some years yet, but the best high school in Ellicott City is Centennial. If you can find housing in that district you'll have a great school experience.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:41 PM

Thanks so much for your response. I noticed that was the only school mentioned specifically in real estate ads, so I was thinking that was probably the best one. Do you know if all the elementary schools which feed into it are equally as good?

Old 04-09-2008, 06:49 PM

382 posts, read 1,206,199 times
Hi bredred! The county's size and rapid growth can make it interesting trying to decipher the feeder system for the schools, because there really isn't one. The opening of new schools and overcrowding results in pretty frequent boundary line changes and it's not uncommon for a single elementary school to feed into multiple middle schools, and it's the same from middle to high school. So you can't say for sure what high school a particular elementary school will feed into. That said, yes, there are some very good schools in the county. Are you willing to do some reading? One thing you could do is go to the school system website Howard County Public School System and look at the test score information under Quick Links. There are AP and SAT test results for all of the high schools, and standardized test scores for other schools.

Since you mentioned Ellicott City, I'd say most of the schools there are good and feed into good high schools. Historically, the northern and western parts of the county have always had schools with a good reputation. The only reservation I have is that Veterans Elementary is a new school that opened just this year and I don't know anyone there. I do know that it opened at overcapacity, the largest school in the county, and seemed to receive a lot of the apartment dwellers from other schools. I just haven't heard any comments about it, good or bad. That school serves an area near Rts. 29 and Rt. 40. Some of the EC elementary schools that have a good reputation and feed into excellent high schools are Northfield, Centennial Lane, Waverly, Manor Woods and others to the west, and Ilchester, Rockburn and Worthington on the east side.

Here's an article from last week's Howard County Times on the results of standardized science tests for elementary and middle schools in the county. There are names of schools mentioned as doing well, and doing not so well. Howard County Times

Old 04-14-2008, 02:02 PM

Thanks so much for the clarification. The information you provided will be really helpful in making our decision and thanks for the link to the article!

Old 04-15-2008, 02:39 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredred View Post
Thanks so much for the clarification. The information you provided will be really helpful in making our decision and thanks for the link to the article!
Remember the top 10 percent at every Howard County school are doing better then 85 % of students in the county. A top student gets the same education everywhere. Some schools have a greater percentage of lower performing students and that decreases their scores. A 1500 on the SAT is a 1500 regardless of how much you paid for your home. All schools have students with top scores. Some have more that bring the average down. If you want to pay a premium to attend school because of other kids scores thats fine. But if you think that premium is going to boost your kids scores well ok. Just ask the parents at the schools with the highest scores if their kids 950 SAT score got a boost because of his neighbors 1500? Every school has kids going to the community college and every school has kids going Ivy League. You may find your money better spend being invested for grad school tuition. Then again you may have it already covered beyond the masters.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:01 AM

13 posts, read 94,791 times
My neighbors and I all agree that Ellicott City schools in general are all exceptional, and it is big part of why we moved to our new beautiful Trinity Homes community, which is districted for Centennial High.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:42 PM

20 posts, read 87,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Boy 34 View Post
My neighbors and I all agree that Ellicott City schools in general are all exceptional, and it is big part of why we moved to our new beautiful Trinity Homes community, which is districted for Centennial High.

The Trinity Homes community is also districted to Veterans Elementary. Do you have any comment regarding this school?

Old 11-16-2010, 12:19 PM

23 posts, read 85,625 times
Just another POV. Howard County schools are better than the vast majority, but if you run into any significant problems with teachers or principals, chances are that you will not get any satisfaction (they go into CYA mode). You also can get redistricted (happens every three years) where they project school population and move students from one school to an adjacent one. So if you're heart is set on Centennial HS, then make sure you don't live on the outer boundaries of the school district. The HoCo Schools site has info and you can see the current and projected districting maps. If you are considering a top notch private school, I would look at Glenelg Country School. We've found it to be more challenging than the public schools which we feel is a benefit for our kid when he goes to college plus their administration works with parents. I'm sure you'll be fine either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland