Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:30 PM

460 posts, read 1,877,165 times

Advertisements

Since the BGE threads are getting alot of hits, I thought I'd ask two questions-

1) has anyone lived in a BGE service area but opted out for another electric/gas supplier? If so, how easy was it for you to do and was it worth it?

2) We bought a house that was a duplex converted into a single family. It has one gas meter but 2 separate electric meters. It has dual zone hvac. My question is -- do you HAVE to have 2 electric meters to have zone HVAC? I would think not, b/c I never saw this on new construction around my old neighborhood, but I have no experience with more than one HVAC system at a time. I know from already asking BGE that we can have a licensed electrical contractor come out and put it on one meter (electrical), at our expense of course. Has anyone ever done this and what was the ballpark figure on the cost?

thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 08:48 PM

SOMEBODY out here has to be so mad at BGE that they told them to shove off. . .
I'd love to hear what happned and how you did it

Last edited by 7th generation; 02-10-2009 at 03:51 PM..

Old 02-09-2009, 10:06 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
What alternative providers?

Old 02-10-2009, 06:34 AM

385 posts, read 1,921,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Yeah, there are some areas in Maryland where BGE is the only provider. There are Allegheny Power and PEPCO in some areas, but others are stuck with BGE.

My in-laws get their power from another provider, but BGE still charges a processing fee (to read the meter, or something)... funny thing is, their bills are still $700-$1000 a month.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post

What I meant to say was is anyone buying their gas/electric on the "open market" even though they are in BGE's territory?
Supposedly we can shop around now for this stuff,like going to Shoppers instead of Giant for groceries. I do know that BGE still charges to bring it into your home but I'm wondering if anyone out there has found a kwH and therm cost that make it worth switching and paying BGE jsut for the distribution (which is crazy insanely high anyway).

Old 02-10-2009, 11:42 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2moveup View Post
What I meant to say was is anyone buying their gas/electric on the "open market" even though they are in BGE's territory?
Supposedly we can shop around now for this stuff,like going to Shoppers instead of Giant for groceries. I do know that BGE still charges to bring it into your home but I'm wondering if anyone out there has found a kwH and therm cost that make it worth switching and paying BGE jsut for the distribution (which is crazy insanely high anyway).
There is no true "open" market, unless you consider the for-profit arms of BGE and PEPCO as true competitors. Years ago, the MD DC suburbs had Connectiv Energy as the alternative electricity provider, but it pulled out of the DC market at the beginning of this decade.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:13 PM

Then wh at is all this on the BGE bill about how your rate to compare is such-and-such if you are shopping for other gas/electric?

Can't you get it from someone else, even if BGE/PEPCO/WHOEVER has to transmit it to your house? I can't believe there are no people on this website that haven't done this. We're a small state, but not THAT small!

Old 02-12-2009, 03:33 PM

45,399 posts, read 60,592,880 times
You can get your electric from another supplier, but you have to track the vendor down. You'll probably have to sign a multi-year contract. BGE will transmit the electricity to your house (it's actually their electric) for a transmission charge. Most of the folks who have done this in MD are BIG users like manufacturers, it adds up when you're talking millions of KWH.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:57 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
I occasionally get phone calls at my office from other companies claiming they can save me lots of money if I switch to them for my electric (although BGE is still the 'provider' since it's their lines).. turns out they can't save me much and I don't bother.

Never had anyone call me at home about it.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 6,528 times
A friend of mine has switched from BG&E to Washington Gas & Electric. The rate is 10.8% versus 12% She said her bill has decreased since using Washington Gas & Electric. I am now in the process of switching to WG&E
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland