Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2011, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,532 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to buy a waterfront townhouse in Cambridge, MD. It is a new development from Beazer Homes and has an option to purchase a deep-water boat slip with it. This seemed ideal for us (we have a 35.5 sailboat) as an investment property now and permanent home when we retire ~6 years. We went to Cambridge yesterday to check things out and were astounded at the areas outside the marina area and outside the historic district. It was very impoverished and seemed like it would not be a safe place to live. We are very active outdoor people and like to walk/run/bike. I found a website called crimereports.com and came up with ~100+ incidents (theft, robbery, assault, rape, etc.) in the past 30 days. These incidents seem clustered around the impoverished area and not the marina area where this development is being built. Does anyone out there have personal experience with Cambridge? What are your thoughts? Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 02:20 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,437 times
I grew up in the cambridge area and lived there my whole life until i just got married in Sept in which now i live in easton....feel free to send me a private message for any specific questions you have.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:05 PM

274 posts, read 678,760 times
I lived in Cambridge for a while and it's nice in the nice areas, and just like a 3rd world country in others like Baltimore...someone once told me that 2nd to Baltimore, Cambridge has the largest projects in the state. In the 1963 I think there was a major, historical racially driven riot and they say Cambridge (or at least parts of Cambridge) has never recovered. Pine street area is shacks/projects, very poor black neighborhood. Unfortunately, the city is still segregated. It's clear as day. THere have been attempts at revitilazition, and there are some great little restaurants and shops on Race street, but you would think it would be better by now. The "ghetto" areas are very close to those areas though, and I'm not sure about the safety factor. On the other hand, there are very beautiful neighborhoods and homes. Check out Blackwater Wildlife Refuge, which is past Cambridge going towards Hoopers Island. Very nice, country living...secluded, on the water, and quiet. Other than Cambridge and Easton, you'd have to drive 30 min. to Salisbury which, in my opinion is "eh." Just not much to do on the eastern shore. As far as the active lifestyle, just get to know the town before going out for a jog, that's all...which is true of most places anyway....oh, and Ocean Odyssey-right off of rt 50-is a family owned restaurant that doesn't look like much from the highway, but BOY OH BOY do they make the BEST cream of crab soub EVER.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,306 times
we like cambridge a great deal for second home property -- great restaurants -- jimmie and sooks, la bella pizzeria, and kay's at the airport

the area does have many "opportunities" for improvement. like in many other places, I wouldn't be out alone at night. during day, I have not known of any problems but I do not live here full time.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:08 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnEsther View Post
My husband and I are looking to buy a waterfront townhouse in Cambridge, MD. It is a new development from Beazer Homes and has an option to purchase a deep-water boat slip with it. This seemed ideal for us (we have a 35.5 sailboat) as an investment property now and permanent home when we retire ~6 years. We went to Cambridge yesterday to check things out and were astounded at the areas outside the marina area and outside the historic district. It was very impoverished and seemed like it would not be a safe place to live. We are very active outdoor people and like to walk/run/bike. I found a website called crimereports.com and came up with ~100+ incidents (theft, robbery, assault, rape, etc.) in the past 30 days. These incidents seem clustered around the impoverished area and not the marina area where this development is being built. Does anyone out there have personal experience with Cambridge? What are your thoughts? Many thanks.
I brought a home in the historical district 6 months ago. I feel very safe in Cambridge. It has a small town feel and everyone that I've meet is very nice. There's no crime or low crime in my area and for those areas that have crime, it seems to stay in those areas. While Cambridge doesn't have as much to do as Easton, I think in time, Cambridge will grow and offer more activities. But for a water community, I love the small town feel and being on the water.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:38 AM

501 posts, read 1,161,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
I brought a home in the historical district 6 months ago. I feel very safe in Cambridge. It has a small town feel and everyone that I've meet is very nice. There's no crime or low crime in my area and for those areas that have crime, it seems to stay in those areas. While Cambridge doesn't have as much to do as Easton, I think in time, Cambridge will grow and offer more activities. But for a water community, I love the small town feel and being on the water.

If you love the "small town feeling", you better hope it doesn't "grow" and discourage posters like the OP from moving into suburban sprawl developments. If they build it and people buy it, it will never end, and you can kiss the small town atmosphere and rural feel of the place goodbye. Just sayin'!

Old 04-29-2011, 02:17 PM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
I don't live in Maryland anymore but when I visit, I go to Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge in Cambridge both coming and going from Ocean City. I love it. I'll be there Monday and Tuesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland