Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2007, 05:51 PM

7 posts, read 24,753 times

Advertisements

I really want to go to Maryland for grad school, but if I am accepted, my husband and I are wondering whether we can even afford to go. He will be in school also. Would like to live in Anne Arundel county -- I have good memories of visiting family there as a child. But I am looking for frankness here. We're not independently wealthy, don't have tremendous savings...is it reasonable to think we could even afford to live in Maryland (close enough to College Park to make sense and with a reasonable commute, etc.)? We don't need any kind of extravagant lifestyle, but we do want to be comfortable (to be able to afford to pay rent and buy organic produce and have enough left over to go to an occasional movie or dinner or whatever). And then what if we like it enough to stay? Can people with Education degrees afford to buy homes and have families in Eastern Maryland? I'm overwhelmed. Anybody's realistic information would be most helpful. Thanks a lot!!!

Anna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 07:54 AM

915 posts, read 3,181,149 times
Buy a home..maybe depends how much you made really. teacher's salary ...max around $40k-$50k?? ...both income yes....hell even with one income..$50k..you can still survive..
There are still some houses out there cost less than $200k....but you really have to look.
Buying a house near college park, you can basically forget about it. Renting yes....trader's joe is nearby dont shop at whole food....their nickname is whole paycheck when you shop there.
Safeway also has some great organic varities of food too. There are a lot co-op farm sales...just look around
Good luck

Old 09-18-2007, 12:16 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,736,488 times
You can rent apartments in College park. I don't know how good the schools are. Don't know how much commuting is worth for you but you can consider Howard County.

I lived in Montgomery county for the schools but that is mucho dinero for a graduate student. The schools are excellent.

You need dual income or have someone making well over $150k to buy anything.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:20 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,872 times
Yes you can live in maryland and buy a home with 50k income a year. I have plenty of clients who have done this and some are single parents.
You just have to understand that under 70k a yr, you will not live the dream life.
Please donot let anyone tell you that all of Montgomery County schools are excellent because I went on Maryland website to check for myself and it was not true.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:23 PM

50 posts, read 161,371 times
Default not so limited

You've got some great options. College Park is accessible by MARC train, so any housing along its route would be provide easy access. I have a friend who is living in downtown Baltimore (Park Charles Apts), and drives to College Park for his graduate program. There are plenty of teachers living in Baltimore's neighborhoods around the harbor, and other places like Hampden. Farmer's markets are plentiful in season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland