Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 4,587 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am from Rochester, NY and I was made an offer in Waldorf, MD. I would be working from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm. After exploring some of the area, I am not wild about the prospect of living there. I prefer Northern Virginia to much of what I have seen in the Charles County area. I know the traffic in the DMV area is horrific- would a commute be totally unreasonable from Alexandria to Waldorf given my hours?

Additionally, I was wondering what other areas in Maryland would be a good place to live. I am in my early 30s and single. I like the idea of being somewhere with a decent night life, good food, and easy access to shopping, etc. But, I also do not want to live in a place where I feel completely unsafe. Any advice you all have for me would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 08:35 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbs425 View Post
I know the traffic in the DMV area is horrific- would a commute be totally unreasonable from Alexandria to Waldorf given my hours?

Additionally, I was wondering what other areas in Maryland would be a good place to live.....
I think the commute from Old Towne Alexandria or somewhere along 495 is do-able. However, a lot of military and DOD people work from 7AM to 3:30, so you won't be escaping much traffic.

One alternative you might like in Maryland is National Harbor. It is across the river from Alexandria in Fort Washington, and still being developed. It has luxury apartments and supposed to have nightlife and shopping. (You might read through the threads on NH and see if it appeals.)

Old 06-15-2013, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,587 times
Thank you so much for your advice- I appreciate it!

Old 06-16-2013, 04:48 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
I'm not sure about National Harbor but I admit to not knowing a lot about the revitalization there. But that was a horrible area before it was built and I believe the surrounding areas are not exactly safe, If I'm wrong I hope someone will correct me.

I"m thinking Old Town to Waldorf is very doable as you will be going against traffic. Best way, of course, is to take a day off and test it for yourself. If you can afford it Old Town is great.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:10 AM

671 posts, read 1,545,976 times
Dave, you are wrong about the present condition of the area surrounding National Harbor. The area north/north-east of National Harbor in Oxon Hill, primarily the areas near the Home Depot, is pretty bad. The areas south, which spans across Fort Washington and Acokeek are really great places to live. Fort Washington in particular is phenomenal, and crime is statistically proven to be lower than Alexandria. I'd rather live in Fort Washington than Old Town anyday, but that's me. The original poster sounds like he'd prefer an Old Town type of atmosphere.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:15 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,898,980 times
I would agree that being single in Waldforf would not be a great life. Many people commute from Waldorf to DC/NoVa, so I don't think the opposite would be that huge a deal.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:46 PM

53 posts, read 118,620 times
Best part about Charles County is the river access. Get a boat, enjoy.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:16 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbs425 View Post
Hi all,

I am from Rochester, NY and I was made an offer in Waldorf, MD. I would be working from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm. After exploring some of the area, I am not wild about the prospect of living there. I prefer Northern Virginia to much of what I have seen in the Charles County area. I know the traffic in the DMV area is horrific- would a commute be totally unreasonable from Alexandria to Waldorf given my hours?

Additionally, I was wondering what other areas in Maryland would be a good place to live. I am in my early 30s and single. I like the idea of being somewhere with a decent night life, good food, and easy access to shopping, etc. But, I also do not want to live in a place where I feel completely unsafe. Any advice you all have for me would be greatly appreciated!
If you want those things, then Maryland isn't going to cut it for you. The type of things you are looking for, would be too far into MD for it to be realistic. Alexandria is probably your best bet. The Old Town area is your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland