Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2018, 04:50 PM

155 posts, read 205,013 times

Advertisements

Do I have to Register new tags in MD since the car tag is from NM(New Mexico), but the thing is I am watching the car for my brother while he is over seas so do I have to get new tags in MD or can I just renew the registration from NM? What about emissions test if it does come up, then can I just go to the MD emissions test or do I have to take a test in NM if the tag is from NM? Will I get pulled over for having a tag that the car does not belong to me but my brother who is overseas? I mean I have the power of attorney but does that mean I need to get new tags even though the car doesn't legally belong to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 05:05 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeout1 View Post
...the thing is I am watching the car for my brother while he is over seas
so do I have to get new tags in MD or ...?
If you put the car up on blocks you can watch it just fine.

But if you (or he) want to put MD tags on it the FIRST step is to change the title
or have overseas brother do that in his name. Then comes registration.

Quote:
...can I just renew the registration from NM?
Brother can.
More than that you have to ask in NM.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If you put the car up on blocks you can watch it just fine.

But if you (or he) want to put MD tags on it the FIRST step is to change the title
or have overseas brother do that in his name. Then comes registration.
My questions is can I just renew the NM tag without registering it in MD. I don't want to keep the tags in MD because when he wants the car back he might move to a different state after his deployment. I am just really watching the car for him and just keeping it maintained while he is away for atleast more 3 yrs overseas.

I can just go on the NM website and get the registration renewed because that isn't the problem but its not officially mine even though he gave me power of attorney. I am saying will I get pulled over for having NM tags instead of MD tags? I can provide the power of attorney to the cops etc... but just wondering if I can keep the NM tags. I just don't want to get stopped for a silly thing like having a tag from different state.

Last edited by helpmeout1; 08-19-2018 at 05:18 PM..

Old 08-19-2018, 06:09 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Power of attorney gives you the ability, in most cases, to take of his business matters. That would include, in most cases, things like car license/tag renewal.

If you should get stopped all you'll need to do is provide the owner's card, which I assume is in your brother's name, your driver's license and, possibly, a current insurance card. You're driving it with his knowledge and permission.

Vehicle Registration Information for Military Personnel

Some overzealous LEO might tag the car if he sees it all the time at your house but again, it's not in your name and your brother is not a resident of Maryland.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:28 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
As long as it is titled and tagged in the name of a current member of the Military you will not have any problem. At least in the Montgomery, Howard, PG, and Frederick counties of MD there are LOTS of out of state cars because of the military presence.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:41 PM

Yeah I asked like 2 cops and I called the mva twice and all of them said I don't need to transfer the tag since my brother is over seas. Thank GOD because I don't really feel like getting it registered in MD anyways because my brother will just want the car back at a later time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: