Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 10:26 AM

508 posts, read 527,770 times

Advertisements

Window units vs Central AC houses in Maryland ?
========================================

Thanks for replies to my postings.

First and foremost I LOVE this forum. I've been on here a while now but have taken your wonderful advice/tips.

I did find a house (in Maryland, Catonsville) that looks good but does not have central AC, but has window AC units . It is listed as "AS IS" SALE.

It shows:

Utility Information
•Heating: Baseboard Heat
•Fuel: Natural Gas Heating
•Cooling: Window Unit(s)

What are the pros & cons of buying this house for Owner occupant?

What are the items changeable?

Do I need to consider to put central AC instead of Window units?

What are the drawback of AS IS listing?

How do we handle this?

I did see Ductless Mini-Split as alternate to window units/Central AC, but I have not seen house with Ductless Mini-Split. I am not sure, the impact of Ductless Mini-Split in house.

Thanks in advance for your time to review my post and providing help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 02:08 PM

12,458 posts, read 9,550,156 times
It's nicer to have some kind of central HVAC system than window A/C, that's for sure. Central systems cost a lot more, but they don't need to be hauled in and out of the windows with the seasons and stored somewhere, aren't a security vulnerability when in the window on the first floor, plus I believe the central systems will last longer. For the resident, they will look nicer, sound quieter, and provide better comfort.

Nowadays there are heat-pump systems that can work down to very cold temperatures - even below zero for some of the Mitsubishi and Fujitsu units, so modern heat pumps with the right specs work great as a year round system, not just an A/C system. The mini-split heat pump systems are especially good for smaller dwellings and retrofits. Minisplits pump a cooled/heated fluid into the house through fairly narrow lines, and then they typically go to a wall mounted heat exchanger/fan, but there are also ceiling mounted cassettes, and you can even incorporate an air handler in the basement and run forced air ducting from the basement like with a traditional forced air HVAC. All depends on what makes sense for this building. I'd suggest look into the Mitsubishi mini splits, they are a good quality system and have a lot of options...

https://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/products

Old 09-20-2018, 04:45 AM

16,280 posts, read 10,421,470 times
We are in a unique situation, owning a farmhouse built in 1900 without central air. The window units are tacky and a bit of a hassle, but they have advantages such as only cooling the rooms you live in.
Living on a hill with huge shade trees, and like most everyone we only used 3-4 rooms in the house on a regular basis, it's a huge cost savings. Our electric bill in spring and fall, with no AC or space heaters, is about $110/month. In the dead of summer it's never gone over $150 for a 2,000 SF house. However we are going to sell soon and I really regret not getting central air, it's kind of a given that buyers expect in a home and I'm sure it will cause problems.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:52 AM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
We are in a unique situation, owning a farmhouse built in 1900 without central air. The window units are tacky and a bit of a hassle, but they have advantages such as only cooling the rooms you live in.
Living on a hill with huge shade trees, and like most everyone we only used 3-4 rooms in the house on a regular basis, it's a huge cost savings. Our electric bill in spring and fall, with no AC or space heaters, is about $110/month. In the dead of summer it's never gone over $150 for a 2,000 SF house. However we are going to sell soon and I really regret not getting central air, it's kind of a given that buyers expect in a home and I'm sure it will cause problems.

Especially since you live in one of the "Hot and Humid as Crap" areas of Maryland.

The OP has asked this question over several of the individual Forums and the answers are much the same. In most of Maryland, with the maybe exception of the two far western Counties, central air is expected and not having it, such as your house and mine, will discount the price.

Now, if you expect to be in the same house for 30 years, as we have been and probably you, then it may not matter much. Well, it will for you since you're planning on moving for retirement.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Especially since you live in one of the "Hot and Humid as Crap" areas of Maryland.

The OP has asked this question over several of the individual Forums and the answers are much the same. In most of Maryland, with the maybe exception of the two far western Counties, central air is expected and not having it, such as your house and mine, will discount the price.

Now, if you expect to be in the same house for 30 years, as we have been and probably you, then it may not matter much. Well, it will for you since you're planning on moving for retirement.

The worst part was we put in a furnace when we bought the house, it had baseboard electric heating. As fall was coming I was only thinking of heat and an oil boiler provided the best warm moist heat (wife hates air blown dry heat). I still think the window units worked for us for the reasons I posted but in retrospect it was a bad financial decision as it will lower the resale price obviously.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:36 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,966,667 times
It's amazing, but a lot of people don't have AC. My Grandfather, and my Mother's parents never had it. Just a window unit.
It's seems like there are older folks who are/were use to not having it.
Seems like a lot of people say the winter electric bill is higher. Ours is. Heat pump.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:05 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,671,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
It's amazing, but a lot of people don't have AC. My Grandfather, and my Mother's parents never had it. Just a window unit.
Seems like a lot of people say the winter electric bill is higher. Ours is. Heat pump.

My Mom still doesn't she lives on the New Jersey shore and it still gets hot as can be there during the summer . I have been in Maryland now for 39 years and I will never buy a home without central air....ever!

Old 09-22-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post

Since when is a window unit considered not having air conditioning? it's just a different form but it's most certainly air conditioning. I assure you our family room and bedroom is just as cool as one in a house with central air. We just chose not to pay to cool spare bedrooms that are rarely used.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:25 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,306,102 times
The fact that seller has stated "as-is sale" isn't a risk; ALL homes are "as-is" essentially. You should still get a home inspection as you would any home. This homeowner is actually just doing you a favor by telling you upfront that they will not make any repairs so don't bother asking.
As to buying a home without central A/C... it is certainly liveable like that. However, if/when you decide to sell the home, it may be a hindrance as the majority of buyers (especially in particular price ranges and locations) assume central A/C to be a given.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:49 PM

Maybe it's me but "as is" would signal a red flag that there are multiple unseen problems. Just from a marketing perspective I'm not sure I would ever list my primary residence this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland