Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:52 PM

429 posts, read 1,864,218 times

Advertisements

I might be going to see a Yankee game in Boston and wanted to know in advance a few things.

When the Yankees are at Fenway

1) Do they have a lot of fans?
-How many, what percent, would you estimate are NYY fans?
-What's the norm, does it vary Weekday/Weekend/Early/Mid/Late/Post season?

2) How are they, obnoxious?

3) How do Sox fans handle it, do they let them run loose or very rude?

Basic premise/concern
-Are Yanks fans very well represented at Fenway as Sox fans are at NYY AND do Yanke fans give Bos fans a taste of their own medicine at home with treatment?
Thanks.

On TV
-Seems like the SOX INVADE NY with at least 20-40% of the fans, while we have maybe 5-10% tops at Fenway.
-Still sounds like other teams, NYM, PHI, get more
-They have nowhere close to the prescene as often or consistently and obnoxiously at Fenway as they do at NYY
-Especially playoffs

Sox fans have been rubbing this in my face or using to claim supremecy.
It stinks to think we win 26 titles but they can say "We still dominate your fanbase."
For those who know more on NYY/BOS fan representation, can you help answer my concerns?

I want to know, does it GO BOTH WAYS?

DO THEY BRING LOADS OF FANS TO OUR HOUSE BUT DO RETURN THE FAVOR, OR DO THEY LOAD UP NY while we have a paltry showing their, is it one sided with fan turnout at oppoising places like us and BAL or is it pretty even two way stree?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 06:57 AM

5 posts, read 19,259 times
1) I would say on weekend Yankees games, you may get as many as 5% yankees fans. Weekdays, much less

2) There are all kinds. Usually you find the obnoxious ones in the bleachers and they knew from before they got there they were going to instigate trouble, and believe me they get heckled. Usually 1 - 3 fights break out in the bleachers during a Sox/Yankees game. Always drunken younger men talking trash.

3) Sox fans ignore the quiet ones and heckle the loud ones. I would say its similar to the way Yankees fans treat Boston fans in NY.

It definitely doesn't go both ways. The Sox always have more fans at the opposing team's stadium than the reverse. This is mainly because other team's fans don't realize that tickets for 2 seats next to each other are sold out for EVERY game within 12 hours of going on sale. So only the visiting fans that can afford $80+ each for scalped tickets are the ones that come to Fenway.
Also because its so hard for sox fans living in New England to get tickets for Fenway, they are more likely to travel to Baltimore or NY (or anywhere) to see the sox play.

I would say both NY and Boston have good fan representation across the country, but for the cities in the northeast, Boston has more visiting fans.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:21 AM

45 posts, read 180,868 times
You think too much...just go to the game with a thick skin. No one is going to do much more than joke around. Its grown men playing a children's game. Dont take it too seriously.

Last edited by badluck; 05-22-2007 at 11:32 AM..

Old 05-22-2007, 12:43 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,647,822 times
I'm sure you'll hear the "yankees suck" chant, although red sox fans chant that sometimes even when they aren't playing the yankees.

There will be a good % of yankees fans there. Both fans can be very annoying and there usually is a fight or two. Most fans are well behaved and it is in good fun, but some do get out of hand...on both sides.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:32 AM

735 posts, read 3,500,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badluck View Post
You think too much...just go to the game with a thick skin. No one is going to do much more than joke around. Its grown men playing a children's game. Dont take it too seriously.
I agree- it's a game. I'm a diehard Yankee fan and have never had issues at Fenway. Yeah- sometimes groups of the younger Sox fans would like to start with me, but I ignore them. I enjoy the game....not the shenanigans that come with it!

Old 05-23-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY'er lost in MA View Post
I agree- it's a game. I'm a diehard Yankee fan and have never had issues at Fenway. Yeah- sometimes groups of the younger Sox fans would like to start with me, but I ignore them. I enjoy the game....not the shenanigans that come with it!
OK, but answer me! Do the Yankees have a lot or good amount of fans in Fenway?
I think 5% is a little too soft an estimate, I would think weekends 15-20%, weekdays 5-10%.

It seems like 5-7 years ago there were a lot more, how come only recently the Red Sox began to sell out, they were good for years before and always had a lot more road fans.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:35 AM

735 posts, read 3,500,960 times
Go Yankees!! Only 9.5 back

Relax folks...It's all in good taste.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:57 AM

5 posts, read 19,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
OK, but answer me! Do the Yankees have a lot or good amount of fans in Fenway?
I think 5% is a little too soft an estimate, I would think weekends 15-20%, weekdays 5-10%.
In my opinion, and I've been to and watch a lot of games, there's no way its about 15-20%.

I think at *most* there are 20% Boston fans at Yankees stadium for a match-up between the 2 teams, and you've already stated that more sox fans invade NY than the reverse.

Out of all visiting teams, Yankees probably bring the largest number of fans with them to Fenway. But its rarely more than 5 out of every 100 seats has a Yankees fan in it. So I stand by my 5% estimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
It seems like 5-7 years ago there were a lot more, how come only recently the Red Sox began to sell out, they were good for years before and always had a lot more road fans.
You're right. In the mid 90's it was easy to get decent tickets still. But from '95 on the sox have consistently had good teams. Also signing big young stars like Pedro and Manny also boosted interest in the team. So the demand for sox tickets has been increasing every year since '95. Boston sports in general got a kick in the pants when the Patriots won the super bowl in 2002. Red Sox were already selling out most the games, but that title reengergized the city and increased interest in all the sports teams. So it keeps increasing to this day.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by human1366 View Post
In my opinion, and I've been to and watch a lot of games, there's no way its about 15-20%.

I think at *most* there are 20% Boston fans at Yankees stadium for a match-up between the 2 teams, and you've already stated that more sox fans invade NY than the reverse.

Out of all visiting teams, Yankees probably bring the largest number of fans with them to Fenway. But its rarely more than 5 out of every 100 seats has a Yankees fan in it. So I stand by my 5% estimate.

You're right. In the mid 90's it was easy to get decent tickets still. But from '95 on the sox have consistently had good teams. Also signing big young stars like Pedro and Manny also boosted interest in the team. So the demand for sox tickets has been increasing every year since '95. Boston sports in general got a kick in the pants when the Patriots won the super bowl in 2002. Red Sox were already selling out most the games, but that title reengergized the city and increased interest in all the sports teams. So it keeps increasing to this day.
The Red Sox always drew, but you could still get tickets.
It wasn't exlcusive sell outs now even back in the late 90s in 1998 with Pedro, 1999 with the playoffs, and 2001 signing Manny.

They always seemed to have a lot more New York fans and tickets overall...until the new owners came aboard in 2002/2003ish is when it started.

Since then I have notiched, I think the streak began then, all sellouts and much less road fans.

I'm wondering why all of the sudden the Red Sox went from great crowd with road fans and tickets available to being exclusive VIP, was there dislike towards the old owners?
Were did the extra umph of ephasism come from?

Old 05-25-2007, 09:17 AM

254 posts, read 521,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by human1366 View Post
1) I would say on weekend Yankees games, you may get as many as 5% yankees fans. Weekdays, much less

2) There are all kinds. Usually you find the obnoxious ones in the bleachers and they knew from before they got there they were going to instigate trouble, and believe me they get heckled. Usually 1 - 3 fights break out in the bleachers during a Sox/Yankees game. Always drunken younger men talking trash.

3) Sox fans ignore the quiet ones and heckle the loud ones. I would say its similar to the way Yankees fans treat Boston fans in NY.

It definitely doesn't go both ways. The Sox always have more fans at the opposing team's stadium than the reverse. This is mainly because other team's fans don't realize that tickets for 2 seats next to each other are sold out for EVERY game within 12 hours of going on sale. So only the visiting fans that can afford $80+ each for scalped tickets are the ones that come to Fenway.
Also because its so hard for sox fans living in New England to get tickets for Fenway, they are more likely to travel to Baltimore or NY (or anywhere) to see the sox play.

I would say both NY and Boston have good fan representation across the country, but for the cities in the northeast, Boston has more visiting fans.
I agree there are more Boston fans that make the trip to NY than Yankee fans that go to Boston. Think of the reasons. One, it is Yankee Stadium, the most know Stadium in sports history. Also, Boston fans have this thing about competing with the Yankees. Yankee fans know every year Boston will start out good and fall apart after the All Star Break. Will it happen this year? Doesn't look like it. Yankee Stadium also has 50% more seats, 50,000+ compared to 35,000+, than Fenway so Yankee fans do not have to travel to see their team.

9 1/2 back, not good for the Yanks. That said, we were 5-6 games back last year and ended up 11 up on the Sox by the end of the season. Maybe this year will be 1995 again, thats the last time the Sox won the East. It is bound to happen once every 10 years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts