Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 8,407 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of buying my first home! Yay! We have an 18 month old daughter so lead paint was a concern since the house was built in 1910. The seller produced a full deleading certificate that happened in 2002 . Yay! However,now my realtor is saying a friend told her we should still get the lead inspection done. I feel satisfied with the certification from 2002 but am i wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 04:16 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,080,722 times
I'd be satisfied with the deleading certificate. I doubt it's a forgery, since older houses containing lead paint are still fairly common in the area. And they wouldn't have added lead paint after 2002. What is the realtor's reason for wanting the inspection?

I don't have an 18 month old kid, though. If it'll give you peace of mind, go for it.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:54 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buyingahousenow View Post
I am in the process of buying my first home! Yay! We have an 18 month old daughter so lead paint was a concern since the house was built in 1910. The seller produced a full deleading certificate that happened in 2002 . Yay! However,now my realtor is saying a friend told her we should still get the lead inspection done. I feel satisfied with the certification from 2002 but am i wrong?
Definitely get a lead inspection. Your child may be at risk. The rules may have changed. and or
the deleaders may have missed something. the deleading certificate is only
good if the paint has all remained intact.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:44 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,808,135 times
I don't know anyone who got a lead paint inspection even if they had a toddler. I never got one either, although we had an eye on ours at all times. Do whatever you feel comfortable with. Every child is different and you know yours better than any one on the forums.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:36 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,944,147 times
Congratulations, this is a very exciting time for you

If it makes you feel safer moving forward with the purchase, then by all means, do the inspection. Massachusetts has one of the strictest lead-paint laws in the nation, and nationally, the new (2010) RRP law has tightened standards even more. I guess what you'll want to know is was the property completely deleaded, or was it a letter of complaince? There is a difference, see this webpage for a description of deleading:
Getting Your Home Deleaded - MassLegalHelp

Also, here is a little excerpt from a mass.gov webpage that I had bookmarked:

What is a Letter of Compliance and a Letter of Interim Control?

Under the state Lead Law, a Letter of Compliance is a legal letter that says either that there are no lead paint hazards or that the home has been deleaded. The letter is signed and dated by a licensed lead inspector. A Letter of Interim Control is a legal letter that says work necessary to make a home temporarily safe from lead hazards has been done. It is signed and dated by a licensed risk assessor. A Letter of Interim Control is good for one year, but can be renewed for one more year. The owner must fully delead the home and get a Letter of Compliance by the end of the second year if a child under six still lives there. The Lead Law does not require the removal of all lead paint from a home. An owner who gets a Letter of Compliance or Letter of Interim Control must take reasonable care to keep up the home, mainly by making sure there is no chipping or peeling lead paint. If an owner fails to take reasonable steps to maintain the home, he or she may become liable for damages to a child lead poisoned as a result of the owner's breach of that duty of reasonable care.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:10 AM

18,714 posts, read 33,372,489 times
Your bank might require the certificate in order to get the mortgage, but no, I don't think you need anything beyond what you already have in hand.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:37 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I don't know anyone who got a lead paint inspection even if they had a toddler. I never got one either, although we had an eye on ours at all times. Do whatever you feel comfortable with. Every child is different and you know yours better than any one on the forums.
Please get an inspection. My niece got lead paint poisoning before the deleading and again
after. You can never watch a child 100% of the time.
Getting lead poisoning out of a child isn't pretty. Very painful

Old 03-28-2013, 10:51 PM

18,714 posts, read 33,372,489 times
A co-worker's daughter got lead poisoning in a rental when a toddler. She was successfully chelated and has never had any problem, graduated college and is a fine functioning adult. She also got some $125K in payments over the years, presumably from the landlord.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:57 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,640,383 times
I think most banks will require proof of a property being lead free as a requirement for a mortgage.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:34 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,016,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I think most banks will require proof of a property being lead free as a requirement for a mortgage.
I believe you are incorrect. I have sold many homes built prior to 1978 and none were certified as deleaded. All were purchased with the help of a mortgage. I even had one buyer who tested for lead so there was definitive evidence of the presence of lead in the house and he still got a mortgage. So, to the best of my knowledge your statement is untrue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts