Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 04:49 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by traffic_lover View Post
this is the negative response I expected. but to all haters, there's a fundamental flaw to your reasoning. Instead of thinking of this as a penalty, think of it as PAYING to not sit in gridlock. I agree that most people will need to continue their usual commutes due to job, kids, etc. and will now need to pay a new toll. but let's say the toll incentivizes 20% of ppl to travel at off hours. you're ignoring the benefit: a 60 minute commute might now take 30 mins b/c 20% of traffic is eliminated. so yes, in this system I might now face $40 in monthly tolls. but 20 hrs less sitting in traffic. is $40 worth 20 hrs of my life?? you bet.
what really frustrates me is the attitude of "this is just how it is." well, let's do something about it. its absurd the lost productivity attributable to gridlock. but ppl are so stuck in ways they'd rather take the daily beatings than evolve.
Where do you get the 20% number from? You're saying that 1/5th of the people out there sit in hours of traffic for no particular reason? And where do you get the $40 in tolls? $3 x 2 (each way) x 250 (approximate working days/year) / 12 (months) = $125.

I suspect if you want this to work, you need to make driving more expensive than the effective cost of the alternative. I don't think this simple scheme accomplishes that goal. I think it mostly just penalizes people that are forced--for whatever reason--to commute for normal business hours.

The best thing that can be done is to make public transportation more attractive than driving, at least for those for whom public transportation is already a reasonable option. I think the lowest hanging fruit in terms of commuters are the people commuting into Boston, not the people hopping from suburb to suburb. If you live in Westwood, say, but work in Waltham, it's technically possible to commute using public transportation, but a 30 minute drive on 128 becomes a two hour slog through Boston. Driving would have to prohibitively expensive for someone to make that choice.

One idea is to designate certain areas well-served by public transportation and make it more expensive to park in those areas. Perhaps even to the point of charging people who receive free parking at their place of work. Concurrently, use those additional revenues to lower the cost of commuter rail and subway parking. That will shift more people from the road to public transportation and hopefully reduce the gridlock for those who don't have public transportation as a reasonable option.

Last edited by jayrandom; 08-06-2014 at 05:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 07:48 AM

675 posts, read 1,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traffic_lover View Post
this is the negative response I expected. but to all haters, there's a fundamental flaw to your reasoning. Instead of thinking of this as a penalty, think of it as PAYING to not sit in gridlock. I agree that most people will need to continue their usual commutes due to job, kids, etc. and will now need to pay a new toll. but let's say the toll incentivizes 20% of ppl to travel at off hours. you're ignoring the benefit: a 60 minute commute might now take 30 mins b/c 20% of traffic is eliminated. so yes, in this system I might now face $40 in monthly tolls. but 20 hrs less sitting in traffic. is $40 worth 20 hrs of my life?? you bet.
what really frustrates me is the attitude of "this is just how it is." well, let's do something about it. its absurd the lost productivity attributable to gridlock. but ppl are so stuck in ways they'd rather take the daily beatings than evolve.
Since when is using reason "hating"?

Your idea would be a tax on the people who have the least amount of flexibility in their employment options, i.e. those who could least afford to pay it.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:51 PM

974 posts, read 1,899,603 times
The systems side of me loves the simplicity of your solution.

The urban planning side of me agrees with others - Boston is not London or even NYC. We don't currently have the public transportation systems for the people who rely the most on the roadways -- people outside the city. Yes, we have NIMBYs and town planning committees and minimum acreage town proponents to thank for that.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:24 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Staggered schedules makes much sense. Most corporations do business on a global scale and these corporations would benefit financially having round the clock employees available for teleconferences to fit the time zones of the countries they have satellites and customers in. Early schedules for the parents and late for the singles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts