Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 09:05 PM

4 posts, read 3,650 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I am relocating from Florida to Boston for a new job in Roxbury and would like helpful advice on good apartments. Some of the basics are:

-I'm looking to rent a 2 bedroom for no more than $1500/month (not sure if that's reasonable)

-I'm a single 25 year old female

-I own a car and is willing to commute up to an hour one way

I have never been to Boston so I am unsure what is considered the "good/bad" parts of town. Any advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 09:41 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,812,551 times
Which part of Roxbury, and what kind of amenities would you like to have around you? Do you like the city or more suburban?

I personally would get roommates and live in Jamaica Plain, but you might have a reason for the second bedroom or like living somewhere more quiet.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:44 AM

974 posts, read 1,902,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Anne View Post
Hello everyone!

-I own a car and is willing to commute up to an hour one way
FIRST before thinking about areas or the ridiculously low budget--

Are you commuting to work by car and do you have parking at work?

Commuting INTO and THROUGH the city is challenging if you're not a city driver. You've never been to Boston, too. You do realize the city is a bit challenging for suburban drivers, right?

To help you understand what the commute is like with timing...

Depends which part of Roxbury you work at and your hours.

On a TYPICAL 8-4 to 9-5 commute...

* Closer to Melnea Cass, it can take 30 minutes just going from Mass Ave through Melnea Cass depending on the hour.

* Closer to Dimock or Franklin Park, again it can take 20-20 minutes from Blue Hill Ave/Milton or Forest Hills.

If you have off- hours, you'll be better off coming into the city early in the morning and staying under an hour commute.

Leaving the city/Roxbury heading SOUTHBOUND on 93 is horrible from 2pm to 7pm. Add 20-30 minutes to your commute.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
FIRST before thinking about areas or the ridiculously low budget--

Are you commuting to work by car and do you have parking at work?

Commuting INTO and THROUGH the city is challenging if you're not a city driver. You've never been to Boston, too. You do realize the city is a bit challenging for suburban drivers, right?

To help you understand what the commute is like with timing...

Depends which part of Roxbury you work at and your hours.

On a TYPICAL 8-4 to 9-5 commute...

* Closer to Melnea Cass, it can take 30 minutes just going from Mass Ave through Melnea Cass depending on the hour.

* Closer to Dimock or Franklin Park, again it can take 20-20 minutes from Blue Hill Ave/Milton or Forest Hills.

If you have off- hours, you'll be better off coming into the city early in the morning and staying under an hour commute.

Leaving the city/Roxbury heading SOUTHBOUND on 93 is horrible from 2pm to 7pm. Add 20-30 minutes to your commute.
I'm coming from Miami so I'm comfortable navigating through the city traffic.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Which part of Roxbury, and what kind of amenities would you like to have around you? Do you like the city or more suburban?

I personally would get roommates and live in Jamaica Plain, but you might have a reason for the second bedroom or like living somewhere more quiet.

Thanks for the response. I do not need a 2 bedroom but I called around and was told the waiting list for a 1 bedroom was 3 years. I will look into the Jamaica plain area.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:32 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,046,330 times
Are you applying for Section 8 housing? If so, how would you get a two-bedroom apartment if you live alone?

Old 09-18-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Are you applying for Section 8 housing? If so, how would you get a two-bedroom apartment if you live alone?
No, I'm a RN and make too much for government housing. I called around and was told that Massachusetts is having a housing shortage so I can except to have to wait up to 3 years for a 1 bedroom. I assumed a two bedroom would be more readily available.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:28 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,016,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Anne View Post
No, I'm a RN and make too much for government housing. I called around and was told that Massachusetts is having a housing shortage so I can except to have to wait up to 3 years for a 1 bedroom. I assumed a two bedroom would be more readily available.

What do you mean wait for a 1 bedroom? Wait for who or what? There are one bedrooms for rent at all times. What are you meaning. Wait with who?

Old 09-18-2015, 10:31 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,046,330 times
Who did you call, exactly?

Old 09-18-2015, 11:19 AM

974 posts, read 1,902,443 times
There are apartments available, just not in your allocated budget for your expectations.

Not all work places have onsite parking for employees. I'm guessing at possible employers for jobs here...
If you're working at BMC, you'll pay $$$ for parking.
If you're at Whittier or Dimock, unclear if they have free employee parking. Dimock- probably. Whittier, I doubt it, but maybe.

Depending where you eork, and if public transportation is an option, living in JP may not be the easiest to commute from. You may be better off living in Dorchester or Mission Hill again, depending on your expectations.

Moving to the city, we have neighborhood/resident parking stickers. If you move to a neighborhood with resident only parking, you will have to transfer your registration over, too. Few apartments in the city offer free off-street parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts