Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 02:19 PM

16 posts, read 23,283 times

Advertisements

We might be relocating to the Boston area from a top Westchester County district, where the school culture is intensely competitive and college admissions-focused.

We'd obviously still like a good, reputable school district, but could really do with a little more variety and a little less all-consuming preoccupation with Ivy League admissions.

Has anyone attended or sent their kids to Norwell or Cohassett schools? What are the kids like? What are the parents like? What are the teachers like? Oh, and very important, what is the homework load like?

And while I'm asking questions, is there any sort of center of activity/downtown area?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 02:42 PM

779 posts, read 878,005 times
I'm also interested in replies to this as I'm a Norwell resident with preschool-aged kids who chose this town based on having great schools without the intense pressure-cooker school culture that is prevalent in some areas. So far I've had great experiences with the other kids and parents, but my kids aren't in the school system yet

In terms of downtowns, Cohasset definitely wins in that category. Cohasset's downtown has bakeries, restaurants, boutiques, etc. and Norwell's is very small (though a new coffee shop did open this week, so that is pretty exciting).

Old 06-04-2017, 02:47 PM

434 posts, read 511,116 times
Norwell and Cohasset both have great school systems so there is some pressure, IME, but nothing intensely pressure cookery-y like Lexington. Norwell basically has no downtown, Cohasset has a very cute though small downtown (although about half of it is real estate offices, mine included ;D). Homework doesn't seem to vary much by town -- it obviously depends on course load, how many APs kids take, etc. but it doesn't seem much different than when I was in high school 20-some-odd years ago.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:05 AM

55 posts, read 87,808 times
We have been in Norwell for just under two years and while parents certainly seem invested in the education of their children I haven't seen anything I would consider over-the-top. Judging by what I know from the high school it seems many kids do take AP classes and apply and get accepted to good schools but I don't think there is an intense pressure to make it to the ivy league. Keep in mind that both Norwell and Cohasset have a fair amount of very wealthy residents who no doubt send their children to private schools so that probably changes the equation for the public high schools in terms of being a "pressure cooker" environment.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:23 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Cohasset has a downtown?!? I lived on the south shore for 22 years and never heard of it having a "downtown". I'm not sure where exactly that is referring to..on 3A?

Norwell is all streched out. Having worked there a few times in the past it seems ok until...lunch. I worked across from one restaurant and if...if I timed it right I could go over, order, eat and come back within an hour.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:51 PM

434 posts, read 511,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Cohasset has a downtown?!? I lived on the south shore for 22 years and never heard of it having a "downtown". I'm not sure where exactly that is referring to..on 3A?
It's referred to as the Village.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2407061,-70.8028736,18z

Old 06-19-2017, 10:59 PM

4 posts, read 17,259 times
My kids are not at high school level yet and as far as elementary school goes it doesn't seem too competitive and parents are welcoming. Parents would rather discuss what sports their kids play instead of their enrichment goals. Sports are area big part of the south shore culture and I see more and more kids playing at the club level in elementary school age.
To answer your question on a downtown, I would agree that there really isn't one.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:13 AM

209 posts, read 169,086 times
I hear all these kids today want to commit suicide. Something about crazy obsessed parents and too much pressure

Old 10-17-2017, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,107 times
From experience.... Cohasset is a very small town, everyone knows each other’s business and not nice at all. Pick another town, trust me

Old 10-18-2017, 06:56 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan0105 View Post

Oh a Del's Lemonhead. Looks lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts