Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 08:44 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times

Advertisements

As a former MAholer, I would advise stay in NC and enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 08:23 PM

97 posts, read 58,662 times
A little bit farther from Waltham, but might I suggest Lexington/Bedford/Concord? Last I remember it was something like a 40-ish minute commute to Waltham (or at least the Costco there lol)Great schools, semi-affordable housing, great safety, and access to quite a lot of entertainment. I know this isn't a huge problem for MA towns, but all of the aforementioned towns have very easy access to the highway.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:38 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
You should probablly stay in North Carolina. Mass. is just going to be unnecessary stressor after unnecessary stressor.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:16 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhatta View Post
A little bit farther from Waltham, but might I suggest Lexington/Bedford/Concord? Last I remember it was something like a 40-ish minute commute to Waltham (or at least the Costco there lol)Great schools, semi-affordable housing, great safety, and access to quite a lot of entertainment. I know this isn't a huge problem for MA towns, but all of the aforementioned towns have very easy access to the highway.
Lexington borders Waltham, it wouldn't be a 40 min commute.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:26 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
You should probablly stay in North Carolina. Mass. is just going to be unnecessary stressor after unnecessary stressor.

how so

Old 11-13-2018, 10:02 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
how so
Stringent zoning, Lack of retail, cold people, long winters, higher taxes, more traffic, sluggish legislature, exclusivity, decreased spending power. I find it hard to believe that this is preferable over NC but it may be to you.

But there is a reason NC is one of the biggest gainers of domestic immigration in the country and Massachusetts is a net loser of domestic immigration-most people who move into mass are immigrants or recently immigrated into another state and relocate to MA. There is a positive net domestic immigration of high earners in the past few year though-I think..

Old 11-13-2018, 10:19 AM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
My friend is down in NC (eastern part) on a 2 year temporary thing, and dreads having to come back (even after surviving the hurricane).

Old 11-13-2018, 11:54 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
My friend is down in NC (eastern part) on a 2 year temporary thing, and dreads having to come back (even after surviving the hurricane).

Some days we dread staying. We moved here from Fla thinking it would be a long term commitment due to hubs job. Theres lot of gun violence, racial tensions are high, and if you're not religious (as we are not).. well then... its not ideal.. We've had countless murders happen right around us in the year and some odd months we've been here. I was personally witness to a drive by where a child was shot in the head. Our store clerk who was 19 was shot in the head by someone who randomly walked in and shot her.. said he just wanted to know what it felt like to kill someone. We've had our car broken into twice, keyed twice and our back storage broken into.. Scary part is we live in the "family friendly" part of the city.

I was told by a grown man (whom I didn't know) who walked up to my 8 year old to recruit her to his youth group that "people in these parts are the religious type so you better get right with that and find yourself a good church".. the excessive gun culture (we're talking on sweaters, bumpers, windows etc) is tiring and so is the constant in your face religion. We recently had friends move back to MA after living in NC for 5 years and she couldn't get back fast enough. She said she feels relieved to be back around "normal" people.

My husbands grandmother is dying of terminal brain cancer (same one John McCain just died of) and my sister is moving out of the area.We'd like to spend her last year or so around her. My sister is only family here in NC and she wants out too so they're moving out of the area. When he was approached about this job the timing felt ok and it would be nice to be back around family, especially with having a child. Nothing is finalized and we are still in negotiations for everything. For all we know it could all fall through lol. I just wanted to be prepared if it didn't

Old 11-13-2018, 12:11 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Some days we dread staying. We moved here from Fla thinking it would be a long term commitment due to hubs job. Theres lot of gun violence, racial tensions are high, and if you're not religious (as we are not).. well then... its not ideal.. We've had countless murders happen right around us in the year and some odd months we've been here. I was personally witness to a drive by where a child was shot in the head. Our store clerk who was 19 was shot in the head by someone who randomly walked in and shot her.. said he just wanted to know what it felt like to kill someone. We've had our car broken into twice, keyed twice and our back storage broken into.. Scary part is we live in the "family friendly" part of the city.

I was told by a grown man (whom I didn't know) who walked up to my 8 year old to recruit her to his youth group that "people in these parts are the religious type so you better get right with that and find yourself a good church".. the excessive gun culture (we're talking on sweaters, bumpers, windows etc) is tiring and so is the constant in your face religion. We recently had friends move back to MA after living in NC for 5 years and she couldn't get back fast enough. She said she feels relieved to be back around "normal" people.

My husbands grandmother is dying of terminal brain cancer (same one John McCain just died of) and my sister is moving out of the area.We'd like to spend her last year or so around her. My sister is only family here in NC and she wants out too so they're moving out of the area. When he was approached about this job the timing felt ok and it would be nice to be back around family, especially with having a child. Nothing is finalized and we are still in negotiations for everything. For all we know it could all fall through lol. I just wanted to be prepared if it didn't
Fair enough, not everybody has shared that experience though. Probably very dependent on which area you are, as well.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:16 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:

Yeah, I have heard this from people I know who moved to NC. One friend (and her husband and 2 kids) moved back (kids in elementary school) and they were seeing signs of that culture rubbing off on her daughters, they took a hit, but they had to get out of there. She didn't think the Asheville area would have so much of that, but there was too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts