Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM

1,056 posts, read 697,717 times

Advertisements

I'm so happy this is finally being discussed in our great Commonwealth.

I always figured that Mass would be one of the first states to implement such a plan, but several other states have beat us to the punch. If it does pass, it will be a step in the right direction.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mass-sena...235145976.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM

23,737 posts, read 18,825,763 times
Not exactly a "new" discussion.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/mass...ollege-ma.html

Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM

14,812 posts, read 8,142,283 times
That is a great idea.
The more educated and trained individuals in your society are, the more it benefits the society as a whole.
And it pays for itself in the end...most of the people will earn far higher income in their future and because of that contribute more in taxes to the society as a whole.

Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM

1,056 posts, read 697,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
That was the previous plan that gave free CC education to people 25+.

This new bill is for everyone.

Old Today, 04:58 AM

5,122 posts, read 2,698,040 times
It's an okay idea as long as there are controls in place to prevent flakes who attempt to keep enrolling for courses that they either cannot pass, walk away from or otherwise abuse the system. If you can't show you're serious or capable of doing the work then you should be barred from access for at least a period of time or you have to start paying to enroll. I can see this being abused if it's not done properly. CC classes are already very cheap. You should get one or two bites at the apple then you're done with free.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; Today at 05:07 AM..

Old Today, 06:09 AM

12,566 posts, read 9,654,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I'm so happy this is finally being discussed in our great Commonwealth.

I always figured that Mass would be one of the first states to implement such a plan, but several other states have beat us to the punch. If it does pass, it will be a step in the right direction.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mass-sena...235145976.html
I agree - there are a lot of jobs that do require additional training beyond your basic high school education, but that either don't require university training, or where university training might not benefit candidates much. Practical, vocational education offers great bang for the buck, and it really helps everyone if there is a skilled workforce in the area.

There are exceptions of course, but a lot of people who otherwise terminate education at the high school level will be stuck in low paying, dead-end jobs and end up needing public assistance. One can certainly argue that it's cheaper for taxpayers to pay the modest cost of CC education for a couple of years than to pay a lifetime of public assistance. It's a win-win.

Old Today, 06:22 AM

16,576 posts, read 8,327,109 times
Welp now tax payers will be paying for free community college and public assistance...for any idiot that shows up here. Yay MA

Old Today, 07:03 AM

21,726 posts, read 12,866,068 times
Should've been done a decade ago

Old Today, 07:41 AM

3,235 posts, read 2,137,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Welp now tax payers will be paying for free community college and public assistance...for any idiot that shows up here. Yay MA
Who paid for your college?
only a really narrow minded (and selfish) person couldn't see the great benefit of educating its population.

Old Today, 07:55 AM

16,576 posts, read 8,327,109 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Who paid for your college?
only a really narrow minded (and selfish) person couldn't see the great benefit of educating its population.
My parents.

My employer and myself paid for my graduate degree.

Only a narrow minded also couldn't understand or care about the tax payers who will be picking up another bill. We really don't know how this will work out either.

There seems to be a lot 'free stuff' happening all at once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts