Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2010, 09:06 AM

22 posts, read 111,734 times

Advertisements

So, we moved to Winchester 6 mos. ago and for the most part, are very happy. It's a beautiful town with gorgeous houses and friendly people. The middle school is exceptional and I understand the others are as well. My problem? There is no place for my kids to go! There is no community pool. Rather, there are 3 private clubs with waiting lists that are 3-5 years long. I have verified the length of these lists with each club. And, there is no movie theater. To go to the movies, you have to drive out to the 129 (95) to Burlington or Woburn. (There is also a small theater in Arlington). But, the point is, the local kids can walk from school into town, but there is nothing to do in the town (for kids). They will typically go to Burger King, Dunkin Donuts, or CVS---something mundane and unstimulating.

Can anyone speculate as to whether there is any hope this will change? Why is it this way to begin with? Lexington has a movie theater and a community pool (as well as sports courts) right downtown.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 09:56 AM

100 posts, read 295,600 times
Put it on the ballot. Get 10 people to sign a statement saying you want to put it to a vote in the town and it can get on the town ballot next year. Most towns require you have it in prior to 12.31. Check with your town hall. I am sure the town has the land, the $$ may be a problem for a pool. No problem for movie, however probably not worth their time to build one not on a major road.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:58 AM

5 posts, read 37,277 times
Default Once had a theatre, lack of a pool isn't great...

Yes, it's a little quiet in Winchester, but that was always the attraction. We lived there through the 90s. Is there still a "teen center" at the Middle School? That was one "safe" place for kids to go. Winchester had a movie theater at one time. I believe a gas station there is still called "Theatre Mobil"? Sadly, most of these small theatres are gone; somehow Lexington's has hung on -- maybe dedicated family ownership? Lexington used to (and may still?) offer a limited number of "out of town" memberships to the pool facilities, but obviously, this doesn't help with the (in)convenience factor of getting there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts