Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 08:47 AM

29 posts, read 75,468 times

Advertisements

I am wondering.. what type of jobs are in high demand or at least reasonably recession proof in Hawaii or even the Big Island. I know nursing is one but I am not in that field. I am more in the Information tech [bad field to be in now I believe as all are outsouced] and Accounting field or even a business to do. Do advise. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 12:56 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pectin232 View Post
I am wondering.. what type of jobs are in high demand or at least reasonably recession proof in Hawaii or even the Big Island. I know nursing is one but I am not in that field. I am more in the Information tech [bad field to be in now I believe as all are outsouced] and Accounting field or even a business to do. Do advise. Thanks
Nursing is not a high demand nor recession proof job in Hawaii. Just ask all the nurses out of a job in Oahu over the past year.

True recession proof jobs tend to be more like being a doctor (also very high demand), working at the electric company, or a walmart cashier.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:29 PM

431 posts, read 940,230 times
No way is nursing in demand here. As WV said, ask all the out-of-work nurses (especially new grads) that are working in non-nursing jobs just to bring home a paycheck. And the universities continue to crank out even more new grads, telling them that this too shall pass. Maybe, but by then there'll be tons of "new grads," years out of school and with no experience, trying to get jobs. Good luck with that one. Those coming to Hawaii with recent solid experience in specialty areas (OR, ER, ICU) would have more of a chance of getting a nursing job here but otherwise...no.
I know someone who was looking into moving here. She's in the accounting/financing field and she said there were plenty of jobs but they paid about 25% less than what she is making in the Northeast. Last I heard, she's staying in the Northeast. I know, I know...same old song.

Last edited by PaliPatty; 08-08-2012 at 02:05 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 05:04 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pectin232 View Post
Hawaii is like other places - it is not simply a matter of opening the door to a "recession proof" job. [ If there was a recession proof job in Hawaii, I'd take bets that many of those recently foreclosed homeowners would have switched to that career.]

Anyway, to answer your question, many of the basic (semi-skilled) jobs seem secure, if I judge from those people I know that have not been negatively affected by the current economic/job situation. Jobs such as bank tellers, cashiers, office clerks within larger companies, etc. Of course, that may in part be due the high turnover in those types of jobs .... nowadays when an employee leaves the employer just does not hire a new person if times require fewer employees. Thus, you see few "layoffs", but you also won't see many new hires when current employees quit.

Last edited by CyberCity; 08-08-2012 at 05:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui