Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,981 times

Advertisements

Hello there! Been reading on here a while, and couldn't exactly find what I was looking for. A little back story since this is my first post:
Married, no children, we have a service dog and a cat (about to do blood tests required for 5 day or less program) We enjoy board sports (surfing, paddle board, kite boarding), hiking and I have an extreme passion for animals and nature. I currently work in Government (medical background) but the job situation is not a huge deal because my husband has money from investments and other means, and without me working we would still bring in roughly 7k a month (and have a substantial amount in savings) We both have family in Hawaii (Oahu) and are wanting to relocate to Maui. We have been wanting to move to Hawaii for about 7 years, and have chosen maui because I want rural (my first choice is kauai) but hubby wants more amenities/nightlife like Oahu has so maui is our compromise.

Anyway, my question! We are currently looking to buy another vehicle and are unable to wait until we move and are trying to decide if a truck or a jeep would be a better choice for Maui. Whenever we have been there we have rented compact cars, but we will need to be a able to tow things, and haul surf boards/kite boards etc. Is a full sized truck too big to comfortably drive on some of the roads (such as the road to Hana)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 02:00 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling3772 View Post
Is a full sized truck too big to comfortably drive on some of the roads (such as the road to Hana)?
You'll fit right in, there is an obsession with full-sized trucks on Maui - and Hawaii in general.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:42 PM

127 posts, read 180,234 times
Quote:
Hello there! Been reading on here a while, and couldn't exactly find what I was looking for. A little back story since this is my first post:
Married, no children, we have a service dog and a cat (about to do blood tests required for 5 day or less program) We enjoy board sports (surfing, paddle board, kite boarding), hiking and I have an extreme passion for animals and nature. I currently work in Government (medical background) but the job situation is not a huge deal because my husband has money from investments and other means, and without me working we would still bring in roughly 7k a month (and have a substantial amount in savings) We both have family in Hawaii (Oahu) and are wanting to relocate to Maui. We have been wanting to move to Hawaii for about 7 years, and have chosen maui because I want rural (my first choice is kauai) but hubby wants more amenities/nightlife like Oahu has so maui is our compromise.

Anyway, my question! We are currently looking to buy another vehicle and are unable to wait until we move and are trying to decide if a truck or a jeep would be a better choice for Maui. Whenever we have been there we have rented compact cars, but we will need to be a able to tow things, and haul surf boards/kite boards etc. Is a full sized truck too big to comfortably drive on some of the roads (such as the road to Hana)?
There are plenty of full sized trucks on the island. My only caution to you is the $$ cost of registration - the heavier it is, the more it will cost....my 5300 lb SUV costs $350, which was a shock to me. And of course the gas tank, but you may be used to that already. You'll fit right in! Good luck!

Old 06-20-2014, 04:47 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,672 times
I had to apply for a special exemption to NOT drive a full size truck on Maui. Thankfully if your exemption is approved, you're also exempt from the county requirement to own several pit bulls-- Because obviously without a pickup you can't reasonably be expected to fulfill your duty as a local to have several pit bulls running around free in the bed terrorizing Haoles.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:41 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I had to apply for a special exemption to NOT drive a full size truck on Maui. Thankfully if your exemption is approved, you're also exempt from the county requirement to own several pit bulls-- Because obviously without a pickup you can't reasonably be expected to fulfill your duty as a local to have several pit bulls running around free in the bed terrorizing Haoles.
You're becoming very bitter Wink. Maybe it's time you head back to Texas, again.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
You're becoming very bitter Wink. Maybe it's time you head back to Texas, again.

Apparently my humor went over your head... Or you're the one who's bitter!

Old 06-20-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Apparently my humor went over your head... Or you're the one who's bitter!
I apologize Wink. Most everything you write here seems negative and I'm not used to seeing a joke from you. I knew what you were saying wasn't true but didn't realize you were attempting to be funny. Might I suggest that next time you put one of these after your joke?

Old 06-20-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I apologize Wink. Most everything you write here seems negative and I'm not used to seeing a joke from you. I knew what you were saying wasn't true but didn't realize you were attempting to be funny. Might I suggest that next time you put one of these after your joke?
In my experience, people who refer to other people as "negative" tend to be self-centered selfish small-minded pseudoscience-believing self-help-brainwashed New Age idiots. I don't know if it applies to you, but it does apply to a good number of transplants here!

Old 06-20-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
In my experience, people who refer to other people as "negative" tend to be self-centered selfish small-minded pseudoscience-believing self-help-brainwashed New Age idiots. I don't know if it applies to you, but it does apply to a good number of transplants here!
LOL!!!

So, you don't like the pick up driving, pit bull owning locals.
You don't like the "self-centered selfish small-minded pseudoscience-believing self-help-brainwashed, New Age idiots, transplants".
Do you have any friends there?

Seriously, you had such a hard time when you first lived on Maui. So, why did you move back there?

Old 06-21-2014, 09:21 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,765,572 times
Quote:
We moved from Seattle 2+ years ago to Maui and went through your debate. I also haul windsurfing and surfing gear around as well as the occasional bike. And we have Ag land so we are always buying plants and fertilizer and other stuff for the yard.

We debated between truck and van and we ended up going with a van, a Toyota Sienna. We took out all the rear seats and I can get a 9.5' SUP board inside of it + 2 windsurfing boards and sails, etc. and lock it up. I leave my gear in there 24x7 so just lock it at night. The thought of leaving gear in a truck worried me and I hate loading the car every time I want to go surfing. When we have company come visit us and we are hauling them around, I just put the seats back in.

Trucks are definitely popular here but unless you are a contractor or doing heavy yard work/hauling, I don't think they are all that practical. The only road I have ever avoided in our van is the road to Jaws, which if you know it, is rutted and deep with mud in the winter.

Coming from Seattle, my recommendation is buy whatever it is you want - truck/van/car - there in Seattle and ship it over. It costs about $1000 and Matson is right there. You will have a much better selection in Seattle and can get a better price. That is what we did. If you buy from a dealer though, make sure you work out the registration first. If you buy it and drive it immediately to Matson, you don't need to register it in WA but the dealer will try to convince you that you do.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui