Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 08:29 AM

60 posts, read 100,675 times

Advertisements

Aloha everyone,

From reading other folks post, it seems that Amazon prime works on Maui. I'm interested in hearing peoples actual experiences.

Has anyone experienced any issues with this service? And is it truly two days for your packages to reach your home on Maui?

Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 09:02 AM

121 posts, read 203,344 times
Two problems I've noticed: Not everything that is Amazon Prime eligible will actually ship to Hawaii (at any price). And it seems the only way to figure it out is to get pretty far in the checkout process. I've bought car parts that were half the size of a ping pong table with no problem, so it is not just size/weight dependant.

Nothing gets here in two days. Many items are sent FedEx two day, but they can sit on them for a week or more (probably while waiting for enough other people to order stuff going the same direction). Worst of all is the dreaded parcel pool. Your package starts off with UPS or FedEx, then gets turned over to the Post Office. If it happens in Richmond, California, you may never see that Budweiser tool belt you ordered.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:19 AM

52 posts, read 89,792 times
AmazonPrime works here...for the most part. And rarely, if ever, will you get your stuff in two days but if it's Prime Eligible you'll at least get it shipped free. Some things they'll ship and some they won't and what's what is somewhat arbitrary at times. We were able to get a queen sized bed shipped here (that DID arrive in about 2-3 days!) but could NOT under ANY circumstances find any loveseats that they'd ship here.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:22 AM

59 posts, read 89,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingMaui16 View Post
Two problems I've noticed: Not everything that is Amazon Prime eligible will actually ship to Hawaii (at any price). And it seems the only way to figure it out is to get pretty far in the checkout process. I've bought car parts that were half the size of a ping pong table with no problem, so it is not just size/weight dependant.

Nothing gets here in two days. Many items are sent FedEx two day, but they can sit on them for a week or more (probably while waiting for enough other people to order stuff going the same direction). Worst of all is the dreaded parcel pool. Your package starts off with UPS or FedEx, then gets turned over to the Post Office. If it happens in Richmond, California, you may never see that Budweiser tool belt you ordered.
I agree. Just curious: how does Richmond, CA come into the picture?

Old 09-07-2015, 10:09 AM

Good info.

I wonder if there is a pattern....

Most Amazon Prime orders ships from their warehouse. Other times they seem to use "approved" vendors. Can't help but wonder if those vendors are the ones having the majority of the "issues"?

Most folks who order via Prime just see the logo and don't delve any further to see where their order is actually coming from.

Good observation about Richmond, CA. I know its a major shipping hub.

I can plan around delayed free shipping, but it will really sting to have orders "disappear".

Old 09-09-2015, 07:56 AM

So if two day shipping isn't possible, what is the typical shipping time on most orders?

also, On orders that do ship, what percentage of packages get lost in the mail?

Old 09-16-2015, 12:27 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustForYOu View Post
I agree. Just curious: how does Richmond, CA come into the picture?
Probably a shipping center. I live in Alaska and we have a location in Washington state. When a package arrives there, it is in shipping purgatory. IT can take 6 weeks.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:30 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualEntrepreneur View Post
So if two day shipping isn't possible, what is the typical shipping time on most orders?

Once again I am not on Maui (though I did live there for three years) but I am a little more remote than Maui (bush Alaska) and in my three years on Maui, two years on Oahu, and my three and half here, I have never had a package get lost by usps. I've only had one package arrive damaged as well.

We allow a week for the average 2 day package to arrive, but priority packages sent via USPS arrive faster than any other way.

Hopefully that helps (though I am not on Maui anymore).

Old 09-16-2015, 03:14 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualEntrepreneur View Post

"Typical shipping time" depends on the vendor and how the package is shipped. I usually just pay for standard shipping (when I have to pay) and figure that it will get here sometime within a week. Paying for two-day shipping or any other kind of expedited shipping is a total waste of money.

This is just another of those things that is on "Hawaii time". If someone is trying to get something done quickly, they will get truly frustrated.

I live in a very rural area, and I've never had any packages get lost in the mail. I hope that I didn't just jinx myself!: smack:

Last edited by Dreaming of Hawaii; 09-16-2015 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 09-17-2015, 01:05 AM

133 posts, read 182,457 times
Amazon Prime only includes free standard shipping to Hawaii. It doesn't include the 2-day shipping. You may be able to pay for that expedited service. In my experience, Amazon usually ships stuff via Parcel Pool which takes about a week from the ship date. It's not fast but, it's worth it because I can't find a lot of things here. I'm in Oahu so, YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui