Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 09:58 PM

121 posts, read 203,379 times

Advertisements

Aloha,

I've been reading this forum for about 2 years while dreaming about moving. I moved here in April with no job, no car, and no place to live...with a family (including two young children). I don't know what every body is so worried about. Bring a little money, then pound on some doors. There's nothing to it.

Mahalo,

Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 10:00 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingMaui16 View Post

I've been reading this forum for about 2 years while dreaming about moving. I moved here in April with no job, no car, and no place to live...with a family (including two young children). I don't know what every body is so worried about. Bring a little money, then pound on some doors. There's nothing to it.
And yet - that is the first contribution you could be bothered with no substance.......

Old 08-23-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
And yet - that is the first contribution you could be bothered with no substance.......
No substance? It's there. To clarify for the peanut gallery: Getting a job when you're not on Maui can be difficult. I had trouble even having phone calls returned. Once here, it's easy. I found a job from a woman I bought a bed off of as she knew someone in my line of work, and he happened to be hiring. I am turning away offers now. If you can't find a job once you're here, you're not trying.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
No substance?
Yeah. Like, how did you get an apartment with no job? What's a "little money" as you put it. Tell folks about the job - are you bartending - in a professional field - you know, like add some useful information for people.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Yeah. Like, how did you get an apartment with no job? What's a "little money" as you put it. Tell folks about the job - are you bartending - in a professional field - you know, like add some useful information for people.
I rented a house I found on Craigslist belonging to a retired couple that spends summers on the Mainland. We have to move in 6 months, but I figured I wouldn't be staying much longer than that anyway if I didn't find a job. I provided a resume, a credit score, and a bank statement showing sufficient funds to cover the rent for the 6 months of the lease. The house is a little below market value, but it is not like we won the lottery, or anything. I am in a professional field, but have always wanted to tend bar.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:53 PM

Great - tell us about the move - what did it cost - what did you learn. How about school for the kids - do they mind not having AC? Who takes care of the kids when they get out of class? How long for the wife to find a job? How about the racism, how do the kids deal with it? Tell us more about this extraordinary tale.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Great - tell us about the move - what did it cost - what did you learn. How about school for the kids - do they mind not having AC? Who takes care of the kids when they get out of class? How long for the wife to find a job? How about the racism, how do the kids deal with it? Tell us more about this extraordinary tale.
My kids aren't in school yet, see post #1. I assume your air conditioning question is a knock on the public schools. I believe the elementary schools in our area are in fact, air conditioned. If not, the kids will be used to it, as we haven't been using the air conditioning much at home. I haven't calculated the cost of the move. We shipped about 90 boxes of stuff we really didn't need. I know this, because it took almost 3 months to get here, and we seemed to have survived without it. It was expensive. Our rental is partially furnished, so we've been able to put off some big purchases for a while. My wife is home with the kids. I can't say I've noticed any racism...that was sort of the point of this thread. The gloom and doom I read on this forum just isn't real.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:35 AM

17 posts, read 23,306 times
I think it's great that this is working out for you! I love Hawaii, used to live on Oahu, and just got back from a trip there yesterday. Good luck to you and your family, I am glad you found a house and a job!

Old 08-24-2015, 01:42 AM

Quote:
My kids aren't in school yet, see post #1. I assume your air conditioning question is a knock on the public schools. I believe the elementary schools in our area are in fact, air conditioned. If not, the kids will be used to it, as we haven't been using the air conditioning much at home. I haven't calculated the cost of the move. We shipped about 90 boxes of stuff we really didn't need. I know this, because it took almost 3 months to get here, and we seemed to have survived without it. It was expensive. Our rental is partially furnished, so we've been able to put off some big purchases for a while. My wife is home with the kids. I can't say I've noticed any racism...that was sort of the point of this thread. The gloom and doom I read on this forum just isn't real.
Ah - so now the kids aren't in school. Who takes care of them during the day? Wow - with over 90% of schools not having AC you sure are lucky? Wow - no AC at home - sure is lucky with all the record highs in Hawaii this year. Haven't calculated the move? Don't even know a ballpark? Really? 90 Boxes? And don't know the cost - how about a ballpark? Can you tell us anything about Hawaii/Maui a local would know - anything? Can't you add anything to help someone wanting to move to Hawaii?

Old 08-24-2015, 03:53 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,575,502 times
Quote:
Ah - so now the kids aren't in school. Who takes care of them during the day? Wow - with over 90% of schools not having AC you sure are lucky? Wow - no AC at home - sure is lucky with all the record highs in Hawaii this year. Haven't calculated the move? Don't even know a ballpark? Really? 90 Boxes? And don't know the cost - how about a ballpark? Can you tell us anything about Hawaii/Maui a local would know - anything? Can't you add anything to help someone wanting to move to Hawaii?
Somehow, and it may just be me, I get the feeling you're not believing much of what the OP has to say??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui