Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:00 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times

Advertisements

Congrats on the purchase!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 02:59 PM

167 posts, read 359,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
I am about to drive back to where I live tomorrow and it's 4 1/2 hours away, so I will fill up the tank and do the mileage readings. I am excited to see what the mpg will be. I will report back.
I also noticed that my Mazda 3 got even better mileage after the break-in period.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:32 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,484,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycee View Post
I also noticed that my Mazda 3 got even better mileage after the break-in period.
How long is the break in period? After the first oil change?

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:05 PM

167 posts, read 359,285 times
Quote:
How long is the break in period? After the first oil change?
I noticed the mileage got better after 5000 kms.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:31 AM

Yesterday I drove back to my home in Cedar City from Salt Lake City. I filled up the tank before I left and set the trip odometer to 0.
When I got home I filled up...7.5 gallons and had traveled 275.5 miles, which gives me approx 36mpg. Pretty good, considering the speed limit was 80 on part of the trip and 65 or 75 the rest. I probably would of gotten higher mpg if I went 65 the whole way.

I love this car!

Old 04-11-2012, 11:35 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Yesterday I drove back to my home in Cedar City from Salt Lake City. I filled up the tank before I left and set the trip odometer to 0.
When I got home I filled up...7.5 gallons and had traveled 275.5 miles, which gives me approx 36mpg. Pretty good, considering the speed limit was 80 on part of the trip and 65 or 75 the rest. I probably would of gotten higher mpg if I went 65 the whole way.

I love this car!
Wow, you're saying you got 36mpg driving about 80 on the highway most of the time? Gotta get me one of those!

I drove a long trip in a rental Focus (new style) last November, about 1500 miles, with 75-80mph on highway. Only got about 31-32mpg which I found disappointing with the 6-speed auto. My 5-speed (stick) Integra from 12 years ago will still hit 30mpg fairly easily even though it's turning 3500rpm or so at those speeds.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Wow, you're saying you got 36mpg driving about 80 on the highway most of the time? Gotta get me one of those!

I drove a long trip in a rental Focus (new style) last November, about 1500 miles, with 75-80mph on highway. Only got about 31-32mpg which I found disappointing with the 6-speed auto. My 5-speed (stick) Integra from 12 years ago will still hit 30mpg fairly easily even though it's turning 3500rpm or so at those speeds.
I would say a little under half of the trip was 80, most 75 and the beginning of the trip which is getting out of town and away from all the traffic 65.

My next dealership to visit, if I didn't get the Mazda would of been Ford to test drive the focus and then Hyundai to test drive the Elantra. I thought maybe I should of test driven all of them to compare but quite honestly I just fell in love with the Mazda. I thought why spend any more time. I was there 4 hours as it was by the time everything was done.

I would of thought the focus got better. I guess I am glad I got the mazda.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:07 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
To be fair, I believe the Focus, like the Mazda, has a specific model that is supposed to be rated better for mpg, with a 40mpg highway number. Maybe it would have gotten closer to your number. But the Mazda is more fun anyway. I had a regular 3 as a rental too within a couple months of the Focus, and it certainly is the sportier of the two.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:57 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I'm glad you're happy with your choice, Chickrae! I was pleasantly surprised that my car did so well on gas mileage when I was driving through lots of mountains at high altitudes, etc. My old Corolla did just fine in that regard, but it wasn't nearly as much fun to drive!

Have you tried the "manual" transmission yet? I haven't, because I never learned how to drive a car that way, and even though it would seem simple if I just remember when to shift, I'm a bit nervous. Besides, the computer seems to know what it's doing!

Old 04-12-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I have a Mazda 3 iSport that I bought almost six months ago. It doesn't have the SkyActiv engine, but it's such a fun car to drive!
So what is the difference in your iSport and the touring? Is it a more sporty look or a two door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Congrats on the purchase!!!
Thankyou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I'm glad you're happy with your choice, Chickrae! I was pleasantly surprised that my car did so well on gas mileage when I was driving through lots of mountains at high altitudes, etc. My old Corolla did just fine in that regard, but it wasn't nearly as much fun to drive!

Have you tried the "manual" transmission yet? I haven't, because I never learned how to drive a car that way, and even though it would seem simple if I just remember when to shift, I'm a bit nervous. Besides, the computer seems to know what it's doing!
I hope to make a trip to Denver this summer where I will go through some mountains and various elevations. It will be interesting to see how it does.

My son has a corolla and for some reason the style of it didn't appeal to me. The mazda definitely seems fun to drive. I traded in my mustang, which was very fun, so I wasn't ready to give up the fun ride yet!

I haven't tried the "manual" yet. The salesman was explaining it to me, but I still don't really understand it. Coming home Tuesday I went over some high mountain passes and I think you shift into it then, but I wasn't sure so I didn't do it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda