Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 07:36 PM

162 posts, read 247,536 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I recently purchased a 2017 CX-5 in white. I live in Chicago, and with the temps dropping, it’s getting hard to wash it. As a result, I’ve been looking at car washes. Are the soft touch foam bristles that harmful? It seems like that is what all of the car washes are going to. There is always touch free too.

Your thoughts with both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 05:37 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Ide rather have a dirty car then run it through and automated car wash.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:51 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,600 times
2 months after I bought my 2016 Mazda CX-5 Soul Red color, a little deer ran into the side of it. I was devastated to say the least. That little deer cause much damage and the passenger side door and rear passenger door had to be redone. The body shop did an amazing job fixing the damage and matching the paint to perfection~

I asked them if I could wash it at the drive through car wash that has brushes. They said they always hand wash the car with commercial sponges that don't scratch. They said even though the car washes claim the brushes don't scratch, some still do. They told me if you do go to a car wash, make sure it's touch free, meaning no brushes touch your car. This is what I have done for the past 4 months and my car still looks brand new.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:24 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Took my car through one that has soft surfaces. This is one by my house and there are always cars there. I thought "Man, they must not scratch cars anymore... why would so many people be going there?"
So I tried it it... can you guess? SCRATCH.
Brushless forever. Never again.
@Me007Gold: Some of us don't live where we can hand wash our cars any day of the year. Touchless car washes are a must for us.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:19 AM

6 posts, read 17,076 times
I only go to touchless car washes. No scratch issues.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:20 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief23 View Post
I only go to touchless car washes. No scratch issues.
They're better but the chemicals will basically eat your wax for lunch over time. Unless you like waxing (or don't care) it's better to avoid them. They also don't do a very good job of cleaning the car.

Really, I look at it two ways. If you really care about how your car looks, don't go to one. Any of the ones that touch the car you'll come out with a ton of spiderweb scratches in the clear coat the first time you do. Usually you can polish those out but there's a finite amount of clear coat to work with.

The touchless ones just don't get the car clean. If it's dirty enough the garden hose won't do the job it's not going to come out all that clean anyway, so I just hose it off with the garden hose. The real thing you have to worry about there is when they start coming at your car with the towel to scratch up the paint.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:22 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
They're better but the chemicals will basically eat your wax for lunch over time. Unless you like waxing (or don't care) it's better to avoid them. They also don't do a very good job of cleaning the car.

Really, I look at it two ways. If you really care about how your car looks, don't go to one. Any of the ones that touch the car you'll come out with a ton of spiderweb scratches in the clear coat the first time you do. Usually you can polish those out but there's a finite amount of clear coat to work with.

The touchless ones just don't get the car clean. If it's dirty enough the garden hose won't do the job it's not going to come out all that clean anyway, so I just hose it off with the garden hose. The real thing you have to worry about there is when they start coming at your car with the towel to scratch up the paint.
When you live in the north and have salt all over your vehicle who’s going to wash their vehicle outside in freezing weather. Brushless car washes are ok never had a problem.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:09 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
"Man, they must not scratch cars anymore... why would so many people be going there?"
Most people just don't care, take a look at the cars in the parking lot next time you go to the store. They are filled with swirls and have probably never been waxed. They are lucky to get that scratch-a-rific brush wash once a month.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:11 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
You're right, they do strip wax and sealants, and they don't get the car very clean. They do, however, do a decent job of getting the salt and brine off in the winter. The touchless wash is much preferred to letting that junk sit on there and eat your car/truck alive.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:26 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,300,819 times
I go to a touch-less car wash about 30 min. away. It's the closest one to my home. I bring a soft hand mitt that I know is clean, and which is only used on my car, a Mazda MX5, after the touchless cycle is complete, followed by a rinse, and then my own microfiber drying cloths.

The previous owner was not so careful, but I want to preserve what is left of the clear coat, and give the car some quick detailing protection, which goes on while I am at the wash facility. I wax my car every 3 months, weather permitting.

So far it looks pretty good. I get many compliments with this car. The paint is called copper red mica. It's a 2007, but many people find it hard to believe it is an 11 year old car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda