Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:32 PM

42 posts, read 71,186 times

Advertisements

my wife is being hired on by a major hotel in the memphis area. director of sales and marketing. we live in nyc as of now. anyone have any experience in dealing with company relocation packages? she in upper management. what can she expect? we rent in the nyc area now so they wont have to worry about us selling our home. all answers are greatly appriciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 06:07 PM

235 posts, read 1,357,128 times
Hi!!! From what I can collect from your post is that you might want to consider mid-town or downtown (being from New York City). Those are the "hip areas" of Memphis.

The cost of living is cheaper and it is warmer here.

Any questions?

Old 08-22-2009, 07:02 PM

128 posts, read 462,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianpride629 View Post
my wife is being hired on by a major hotel in the memphis area. director of sales and marketing. we live in nyc as of now. anyone have any experience in dealing with company relocation packages? she in upper management. what can she expect? we rent in the nyc area now so they wont have to worry about us selling our home. all answers are greatly appriciated
I'm not sure what you are trying to ask. When I relocated to Memphis from Brooklyn, UTMG gave me an allowance for lack of a better word, that was more than sufficient. Basically, I spent the money up front and they reimbursed me. I had no trouble getting reimbursed from UTMG. They even helped me out when Bekins majorly screwed up the shipment of my stuff (long story). Even with the added cost of 10 hotel days (which they covered directly), I still had plenty of fudge room. If your wife is in upper management, her company will probably give her a bigger allowance than I got for moving down here as a lowly anesthesiologist.

Maybe I just had bad luck, but my whole experience with Bekins was one of the biggest headaches I have ever dealt with. I am still in the process of fighting them for reimbursement. Just beware if you go through them.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nomadic4me View Post
Hi!!! From what I can collect from your post is that you might want to consider mid-town or downtown (being from New York City). Those are the "hip areas" of Memphis.

The cost of living is cheaper and it is warmer here.

Any questions?
I'll second this. For the same price I was paying for subsidized (hospital) housing in Brooklyn, I was able to find a very nice and bigger 1 bedroom apartment on Mud Island. Before I even thought about Mud Island I was able to find cheaper housing (on the internet) in midtown and downtown.

It's about what you want. I was looking to not be in a high rise and for a more suburban setting. Sit down and define your goals first. Then do a search and narrow down the apartments based on your goals.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:16 PM

37 posts, read 116,741 times
I too am potentially relocating to the area, work for a fortune 500 company. Our relocation package is pretty good. Your luck is that you don't have a home to sell!

Using our relo as a reference, I'd expect some up front money for home/apartment hunting, a full move (the truck comes and packs your stuff, unpacks it at your new residence), and then maybe some more money on the back side after you move into your new place.

I'm fortunate, our co. will buy our house after 90 days if it doesn't sell. If this weren't part of our standard package, I'd be very hesitant about moving right now.

Good luck!

Old 08-23-2009, 11:48 AM

5 posts, read 14,946 times
I too am moving to Memphis in a few weeks and my company has rented me a furnished apartment on Mud Island for up to 6 months. I do have a house to sell and boy would I like to have the company buy it after 90 days on the market. They also provided me a trip down to check out the area and will pay for a moving company to pack/unpack and move my furnishings.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsguy View Post
I too am moving to Memphis in a few weeks and my company has rented me a furnished apartment on Mud Island for up to 6 months. I do have a house to sell and boy would I like to have the company buy it after 90 days on the market. They also provided me a trip down to check out the area and will pay for a moving company to pack/unpack and move my furnishings.
Assuming from your screen-name that it is an EMS job, then that's a great deal considering that most EMS jobs don't pay well. Is it going to be a supervisory position?

I don't know where you are moving from, but I think you'll like Mud Island. It's quite, but close to downtown. I think in a previous post you said you would be with Methodist. Mud Island is only about a 10 minute drive to Methodist. It's also a nice place to walk/jog/run in the evening or early morning along the river.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:57 AM

754 posts, read 2,814,498 times
I moved from FL to Memphis ten years ago, so I don't know if what I got back then (the economy was good) applies to now. But...

I went to work for ServiceMaster. They paid the closing costs on the house I sold in FL, plus gave me an allowance of $800 for moving expenses on top of that (Ryder truck, gas, food, hotel). I didn't have to pay for the Ryder truck, since they had an account with Ryder and took care of the reservations and payment in advance. I had to pay for the gas and food at the time, and we drove on through the night, so we didn't need the hotel (but it would have been covered if we wanted one). But once I got to my new job, I filled out an expense report with the receipts and got reimbursed for the gas and food.

One word of caution: keep ALL receipts! You likely will NOT be reimbursed without them!

When it came time to close on the house, we didn't even have to come back to FL. I FedExed the documents (signed and notarized) and the cashier's check for our portion of the closing costs (we hadn't lived in the house long enough for equity to be built up).

Also, relocation packages will always come with a contract, stating that if you leave the company early (varies, usually 12 - 24 months, depending on how much they shelled out for you), either by quitting or being fired, then you have to pay the relocation money back. Mine was 18 months.

Good luck.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:16 AM

42 posts, read 71,186 times
i guess what im asking is, whats usually entailed in a upper management relocation package? we are flying to memphis tomorrow morning. thanks in advance for all replies

Old 08-27-2009, 09:35 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,373,861 times
This is a question you need to ask your new employer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianpride629 View Post
i guess what im asking is, whats usually entailed in a upper management relocation package? we are flying to memphis tomorrow morning. thanks in advance for all replies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis