Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 05:22 PM

16 posts, read 27,171 times

Advertisements

I originally lived in TN for 12 years in the Lakeland area, Shelby Cty. I am 54, husband is 53. One kid a senior in college, another a senior in high school..almost empty nesters. We are living in Indiana now but have been relocated BACK to Memphis for work. Do not want the Lakeland area again. We were looking at Olive Branch, MS area - close to airport where husband will be working. BUT was SUPER impressed with Mud Island housing - the amenities, the tree-lined streets, casual atmosphere. Feels like a town within a town. The walkability and short drive to so much is very appealing. I know there are "bad" pockets surrounding the area and I know it will be a short drive to grocery shop and all that. But any BAD reviews on living on Mud Island? We want a zero lot and are trying to downsize so it just seems so perfect. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 06:12 PM

191 posts, read 304,111 times
It could be perfect for you. There is a grocery store, Miss Cordelia's, where I often shop. It has all the basics you need. There are three restaurants, plus a tea shop. There is no bank, but there is a cash machine, and there is a Suntrust about a mile away near St. Jude's.

The only downsides relate to the geography: earthquake hazard and termites. You have to really keep on top of the latter. Otherwise, it's a wonderful community. The closer to Harbor Town the better, but those houses tend to sell very quickly.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:35 PM

16 posts, read 27,171 times
Thank you! I heard about the termites but I guess it's a given in that area and with a termite contract there's not much more you can do. We ate at Tug's the other day and met the manager. Great guy. Then we walked to Miss Cordelias to see how expensive the essentials were and it wasn't too bad. I just love the closeness and the all around feel of it all. Thanks so much!

Old 10-20-2014, 08:02 AM

737 posts, read 1,917,522 times
I see nothing wrong with mud island, other than the schools issue - which you won't have. For empty nesters I think it's perfect - extremely safe, no big yards to worry about, nice homes, nice neighbors, and there are a few places nearby to visit - a small grocery, coffee shop, pizza place, a gym, a medical clinic, etc. It's a hike to get to a Target, Walmart, or any other big box store though, if you care about that. It's a quick drive to the airport, you can get on I-40 right at the end of the island and take that to 240, and around to the airport. Maybe 15 minutes?

I agree that the Harbor Town part is much better than the Island part. The homes are much more expensive, but also bigger, better quality, more unique, prettier, and the neighborhood is nicer. Parks, playgrounds, etc. The Island part is the "newer" part on the north end of the island and is more jam packed with smaller, cheaper homes, fewer trees or green space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: