Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:26 AM

21 posts, read 52,515 times

Advertisements

I am coming up to Memphis in a few weeks (from Oxford, MS) to see a show at Minglewood Hall. How is the area around there? Is it generally safe at night? Are there some decent places to eat near the venue? I'm not staying the night, but I will be hanging out in town for a few hours. Also, does anyone happen to know the parking situation at Minglewood Hall (decent sized lot to accommodate all show goers, don't have to park blocks away and walk, etc.)? I've searched a bit around the forum, but couldn't find answers to most of these questions.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 07:33 AM

737 posts, read 1,917,336 times
Yes, it's generally safe. The area around it is a little....empty? Hard to explain. It's sort of in an "in between" area between other busy crowded areas (downtown and the Overton area). Tons of people go to shows there all the time, it's a popular and nice venue. If it were unsafe, people wouldn't go. But it's just not a pretty area to walk around in. There is no where to eat around there that you could walk to. But there are hundreds of places nearby - if you go a fit further east on Madison Ave, you get to the Overton Square are which is the biggest booming area of town right now. Tons of options there. It would take one minute to drive in between so if you are looking to go out before or after, that's where I'd suggest.

Minglewood has a big parking lot, but I'm sure it's not nearly enough for all concert goers. You can park along Madison now (I think? Madison has bike lanes but I think you can park along the curb) or park around the facility. Just lock your car doors and don't leave a laptop laying on the seat, general common sense for any city

Link to the Overton area website: Overton Square

Have fun!

Old 04-15-2015, 12:03 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,241,244 times
Yep, like Cristen said, big lot across the street, street parking, and a small parking lot at Minglewood itself. You could head across the street to eat at Poor & Hungry (The P & H Cafe :: Home), but there's lots of great restaurants up and down Madison. Pho Binh, Frida's Mexican, the Bar-B-Q shop (really good!), or further down to Overton Square.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:39 PM

Oh the BBQ Shop! Yes, that would be a great place if you want some real Memphis BBQ. Safe place that locals eat at, as well as tourists. The places in Overton Square are all a bit more "hip" nowadays.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:55 PM

165 posts, read 548,720 times
It's definitely safe, and parking is plentiful. Skip downtown and head east on Madison to Overton Square. Great part of town and really safe/fun. And Central is the best BBQ in Memphis, btw.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:04 PM

21 posts, read 52,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristenS View Post
Oh the BBQ Shop! Yes, that would be a great place if you want some real Memphis BBQ. Safe place that locals eat at, as well as tourists. The places in Overton Square are all a bit more "hip" nowadays.
Thanks for the responses. I've definitely been on the lookout for good Memphis BBQ and will give the BBQ Shop a try. I ate at Rendezvous earlier this year and was not impressed at all. Looking for places that will redeem the BBQ of Memphis for me!

Old 04-17-2015, 06:58 AM

Rendezvous is a tourist trap. I've never had good food there, it seems like live by reputation from the good old days. BBQ Shop is on Madison Ave, down the street from Minglewood. You can park on the street in front, or in a big lot behind it. It's a sit down, order with a waiter type of place. There is also Central BBQ in midtown, which is a bit further away on Central Ave - it's an order at a counter, they bring you your food type place, with a giant patio in the front. It's probably more well known and advertised, but I think the BBQ is similar.

Central BBQ - Barbeque - Memphis, TN - Yelp

Bar-B-Q Shop - Midtown - Memphis, TN | Yelp

Old 04-22-2015, 11:57 PM

89 posts, read 101,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palustris View Post
I am coming up to Memphis in a few weeks (from Oxford, MS) to see a show at Minglewood Hall. How is the area around there? Is it generally safe at night? Are there some decent places to eat near the venue? I'm not staying the night, but I will be hanging out in town for a few hours. Also, does anyone happen to know the parking situation at Minglewood Hall (decent sized lot to accommodate all show goers, don't have to park blocks away and walk, etc.)? I've searched a bit around the forum, but couldn't find answers to most of these questions.

Thanks in advance.
I hope you had a good time at the event. Curious, was it the Bill Burr comedy tour? I attended and it was my first time attending a comedy event at Minglewood Hall. Parking needs work but I didn't mind because it was free! Hopefully you went to the Cooper-Young District afterwards. Great restaurants/bars.

I think Minglewood Hall gets a bad reputation because of the appearance of the eclectic group of people that frequent the venue. I however enjoy seeing ecletic mixtures in the south. Its refreshing. Their always friendly and helpful to me. That's what matters right?!

Old 04-27-2015, 12:23 PM

65 posts, read 100,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristenS View Post
Rendezvous is a tourist trap. I've never had good food there, it seems like live by reputation from the good old days. BBQ Shop is on Madison Ave, down the street from Minglewood. You can park on the street in front, or in a big lot behind it. It's a sit down, order with a waiter type of place. There is also Central BBQ in midtown, which is a bit further away on Central Ave - it's an order at a counter, they bring you your food type place, with a giant patio in the front. It's probably more well known and advertised, but I think the BBQ is similar.

Central BBQ - Barbeque - Memphis, TN - Yelp

Bar-B-Q Shop - Midtown - Memphis, TN | Yelp
Rendezvous is far from a tourist trap...sorry that you had a poor experience.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:00 PM

410 posts, read 803,161 times
Great area and plenty to see and eat while your there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: