Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2018, 08:31 PM

51 posts, read 67,070 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are an older couple moving from N.CA to NW. GA. We need to drive our newer Toyota V6 truck across from N.CA to NW GA in early October 2018, fully loaded with some of our possessions. We plan to drive across to GA mostly on I 40 to Memphis, then veer off 40 toward either Huntsville or Birmingham, to reach our new home in Canton, GA. Have to decide which route, from Memphis, would be best considering the roads, October weather, and whether we should avoid going thru Atlanta.

Also, if anyone has any additional input, we will need to take our second smaller car across later from CA to GA also. Here is the question: Typically, what is the safest and most trouble-free & storm-free route, N. CA to NW. GA, to take in November 2018 or March 2019? Would it be advised to take I 40 CA to GA in October, then to switch to the more southerly route 10, CA to GA, in November or March? We have flexibility, but need to plan the time frame for the follow-up trip to take our 2nd vehicle across to GA.

I am thinking, based on what I have read in the forums, that December through February may prove much more difficult to try the drive in a small newer Honda, from CA to GA? Advice or opinions? Thank you & we'll look for your replies!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 08:58 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAcafe View Post
Hello! We are an older couple moving from N.CA to NW. GA. We need to drive our newer Toyota V6 truck across from N.CA to NW GA in early October 2018, fully loaded with some of our possessions. We plan to drive across to GA mostly on I 40 to Memphis, then veer off 40 toward either Huntsville or Birmingham, to reach our new home in Canton, GA. Have to decide which route, from Memphis, would be best considering the roads, October weather, and whether we should avoid going thru Atlanta.

Also, if anyone has any additional input, we will need to take our second smaller car across later from CA to GA also. Here is the question: Typically, what is the safest and most trouble-free & storm-free route, N. CA to NW. GA, to take in November 2018 or March 2019? Would it be advised to take I 40 CA to GA in October, then to switch to the more southerly route 10, CA to GA, in November or March? We have flexibility, but need to plan the time frame for the follow-up trip to take our 2nd vehicle across to GA.

I am thinking, based on what I have read in the forums, that December through February may prove much more difficult to try the drive in a small newer Honda, from CA to GA? Advice or opinions? Thank you & we'll look for your replies!
I would continue driving across I-40 to Nashville, take the I-840 bypass to I-24 down to Chattanooga, then take I-75 to just north of the Atlanta metro area so that you will be on interstates almost all the way to Canton.

That route would work best and be safest with both vehicles regardless of the weather.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:10 PM

Thank you BirdieBelle! Our updated plans per your advice: For our early October trip across the US in our truck, I-40 to Nashville, then take the I-840 bypass to I-24 down to Chattanooga, then take I-75 to just north of the Atlanta metro area so that we will be on interstates almost all the way to Canton. Thanks for your input that this route would work best and be safest with both vehicles regardless of the weather. Your wise advice is most appreciated!

Then, for our second trip, we plan in either November or March/April to take our smaller Honda across to GA - maybe the Southernmost Winter route along I-10. There might be some snow & weather to deal with along the I 40 route, so maybe Southermost route is best for easiest Winter driving?

Old 09-08-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAcafe View Post
Thank you BirdieBelle! Our updated plans per your advice: For our early October trip across the US in our truck, I-40 to Nashville, then take the I-840 bypass to I-24 down to Chattanooga, then take I-75 to just north of the Atlanta metro area so that we will be on interstates almost all the way to Canton. Thanks for your input that this route would work best and be safest with both vehicles regardless of the weather. Your wise advice is most appreciated!

Then, for our second trip, we plan in either November or March/April to take our smaller Honda across to GA - maybe the Southernmost Winter route along I-10. There might be some snow & weather to deal with along the I 40 route, so maybe Southermost route is best for easiest Winter driving?
I-10??? The one down near the Gulf Coast?? It's really not necessary to go that far out of the way.

The interstates will be cleared regardless of the weather, whereas county/state roads may not be.

Except for the occasional random ice storm, we don't get that much snow here to worry about, anyway. Winters in the mid-south are usually just cold and wet, and if we do get snow it usually comes in Jan/Feb.

I just always think that in a new area interstate driving is preferred over navigating back roads.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:02 PM

Oh, yes, again great insight from someone that knows the area! You are right about the back roads. We are used to California highways, with our sunshine and fire smoke Thanks for confirming that the interstates are good safe routes to travel for us. I have just plotted and printed the directions toward Nashville, take I-840 bypass to I-24, down to Chattanooga, then take I-75 to Canton GA.

"if we do get snow it usually comes in Jan/Feb" - thanks for noting that, too, because we just weren't entirely sure. So, following your advice, it definitely seems like the I-40 toward Nashville route would also work well for our 2nd trip planned for November or else March/April. Thank again & for your very quick reply & have a very nice rest of your night!

Old 09-10-2018, 11:13 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,689,358 times
Personally, I would assume the quickest route from Memphis to Atlanta would be taking highway 78 (Lamar Avenue), which turns into I-22 all the way to Birmingham and then taking I-20 in Birmingham all the way to the Atlanta metro area rather than doing Memphis to Nashville and then Nashville to Chattanooga to Canton. MapQuest suggests that it is around 20 miles shorter and it basically is 4 lanes all the way.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:30 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,807 times
Since Canton is north of Atlanta, the Nashville route is likely quicker. The I-20 route would take you through more of the Atlanta area traffic

I've driven both routes to Marietta and much prefer the Nashville route. The time difference is insignificant and, unlike I-40 and I-25, there aren't many options for food, restrooms, etc. on I-22 from the Mississippi line to Birmingham. That stretch is pretty boring...but at least traffic is relatively light. Also, the scenery on I-25 from Monteagle to Chattanooga is the best part of the drive!

Old 09-14-2018, 04:38 PM

Thank you for your insights and we very much appreciate you advice to take! Moving from N.CA to NW.GA very soon, so all this info is very helpful indeed!

Old 09-14-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
Since Canton is north of Atlanta, the Nashville route is likely quicker. The I-20 route would take you through more of the Atlanta area traffic

I've driven both routes to Marietta and much prefer the Nashville route. The time difference is insignificant and, unlike I-40 and I-25, there aren't many options for food, restrooms, etc. on I-22 from the Mississippi line to Birmingham. That stretch is pretty boring...but at least traffic is relatively light. Also, the scenery on I-25 from Monteagle to Chattanooga is the best part of the drive!
I agree on the time "difference," and to me the ability to remain on interstates for as long as possible as opposed to navigating various switching backroads while carrying a bunch of stuff is preferable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis