Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2010, 09:26 PM

32 posts, read 118,310 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going to move to the new home in Cordova from East Memphis soon. We are looking for a reliable and affordable moving company. The first moving company we employed last year was terrible . The delivery delayed, delayed and delayed, and we had to spend a lot of money in staying in the hotel and after that we had to sleep on the floor for days before we eventually got the furniture.

The good thing is that it is not long distance move this time . But I decide to do a little research. A friend of mine recommended me "the king of the world" and two man and a truck. Are they good?

Actually we hope that we could aslo pick up some furniture, and appliances before the movers' arrival to save some delivery fees. Is it possible that we could rent a U-Haul and find two movers to help us only upload and download and pay them by hour? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 06:54 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,373 times
Able Moving

They've move me a few times over the years, as well as several family members and the business I work for! Never a problem, and you won't find anyone cheaper. You'll need to schedule early, though, since it's a small company...

Old 04-23-2010, 08:47 AM

122 posts, read 441,730 times
My mom had a bad experience w/ Two Men and a Truck.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:20 AM

173 posts, read 323,256 times
I have also heard terrible things about two men and a truck. I had a lot of luck with my last move. *if* you are willing to rent a uhaul and drive it, you can save a ton on moving costs. I honestly can't believe more people dont just hire the labor!!! This is the way to go unless you are unable to handle driving the uhaul, don't have a valid drivers license, etc.... I used Big League movers for my last move. I do not know if they offer their own truck, I did the rent the truck and drive it myself and just hired their labor. Two guys showed up and moved my huge three bedroom super upstairs apartment full of stuff to my new house. They were fast yet careful with my stuff. In total, after truck and labor, my moving costs were less than $500, not counting the gas I used to move the very small stuff myself a few days before the 'big' move. Call Preston at 901 four eight 6 six eight 97. their website is Big League Movers One of the things i really liked about them was how much contact i had with them BEFORE the move. I never worried if they were going to show up or not because Preston was so on top of scheduling. Once the guys were done, he called after to make sure I was totally happy and nothing was broken. I was kinda surprised at how truly concerned he seemed with my happiness of his services.
the one regret i have is not taking his advice on where to rent a truck from. I went with the uhaul in hickory hill and that was a terrible experience, no gear shift indicator or gas cap and check in and out was nightmarish. i would highly recommend asking preston who he'd recommend for truck rental.

Last edited by hex_haight; 04-23-2010 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: i cant read.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:49 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,373 times
I just counted up the number of times I've used Able Moving. They've moved me 5 times since 1977. They moved a company I used to work for back then. In recent years they've moved 3 of my relatives....and probably a couple of others I'm forgetting. For what they charge, I'd be hard pressed to rent a truck, a dolly, furniture pads, pay for fuel, etc. - not to mention the wear and tear on my aging body....or the beer I'd have to buy for my friends to help....

Old 04-23-2010, 03:22 PM

54 posts, read 184,583 times
This is not a recommendation, but I am hopefully in the process of moving soon. Again I have not used them and nobody I know has, but if you are looking for cheap, the cheapest I have found so far is Bucks Moving and Storage.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:39 PM

32 posts, read 118,310 times
Thank you, guys. I will pick one of them you recommend. Hopefully this will be a better moving experience than I had last year.

Many Thanks...

Old 05-08-2010, 12:54 AM

10 posts, read 18,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenseven View Post
Thank you, guys. I will pick one of them you recommend. Hopefully this will be a better moving experience than I had last year.

Many Thanks...

If you dont mind, what was the company that you used last year? I am relocating to Memphis from Michigan and Im searching for long distance movers and I want to know who to do further research on

Old 05-08-2010, 07:41 PM

21 posts, read 46,236 times
We used Cooper and they were fine. It cost us under $500 and that is with them using their truck. We are moving out of state now, but we just had to get some estimates. Bekins was one of them and came in the cheapest. We haven't moved yet, so we don't know how good they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: