Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:17 AM

323 posts, read 634,266 times

Advertisements

My wife suffers from SAD (blues in winter), and started using the supplement SAM-E. After the first two weeks, she thought she felt better but now says she is not sure its doing anything. She doesn't feel better until the warm weather kicks in and everything is green. We are working on moving (for other reasons as well), but it might take awhile. Anyone have any luck with this or any other supplement? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 11:08 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
I've never used SAM-E but I understand it can definitely be useful in depression because it is involved in the biosynthesis of seratonin and dopamine. SAD, unfortunately, isn't normal depression. It's a very specific type of depression, caused exclusively by the sun's yearly cycle. If you increase sunlight exposure, you will decrease the depression.

If she's taking SAM-E without any other SAD treatment, that might explain the disappointing results. The most effective treatment is light therapy. Anti-depressants only deal with the symptom, but don't address the underlying cause.

Personally, I think she'd be better off with light therapy until you folks move to a greener climate. The initial investment is modest, but it is proven to be effective with zero side effects.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:02 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,964 times
Add vitamin D3 supplements. SAD occurs when there is little or no sunlight which helps your body produce vitamin D3.

A tanning booth may also help.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:14 PM

Tanning booth will not help, it will only burn her skin and contribute to the risk of skin cancer and wrinkles. The light from a light-therapy light box is not the same as the light from a tanning bulb.

D3 deficiency is not proven to contribute to or trigger SAD (and one study actually demonstrated that it has no effect at all on SAD), however it -is- a good idea to supplement in the winter when you don't get it naturally from the sun.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:23 PM

"contribute to the risk of " ???? "not proven" ????

what is that ?.......... oh, retoric

uva rays AND uvb rays create natural vitamin D3

Old 03-19-2011, 08:38 PM

Uh, no. The body creates vitamin D3. It is created after exposure *specifically* to UVB rays. UVB rays are also the rays that cause sunburn and *some* skin cancers. UVA rays are the primary cause of malignant melanoma, which is the deadliest type of skin cancer.

It's not rhetoric. It's carefully worded facts to prevent anyone from accusing me of rhetoric. I used that wording because if I had said "Vitamin D3 doesn't cause SAD" I would be making a statement without any ability to back it up with proof. And the reason I can't back it up with proof, is because "Vitamin D3 deficiency doesn't cause SAD" is not a proveable statement. SAD is caused by a person's inability to handle shorter days and longer nights. If D3 deficiency DID cause SAD, then albinos would likely ALL suffer from SAD unless they use supplements. Because they cannot be exposed to the sun for any length of time without endangering themselves. And yet, I've never heard any research indicating that all non-supplemented albinos suffer from SAD. There would be a HUGE number of people who have SAD, if D3 deficiency caused SAD. And yet, even most people who live in the north do NOT suffer from SAD, even in the wintertime when there's shorter daylight, and longer night.

D3 doesn't cause SAD. It *might* contribute to the risk of getting SAD. But there is no evidence to prove that as a fact. And so, it isn't a fact. The fact, is that there is no evidence to indicate that D3 deficiency contributes to the risk of SAD. The other FACT, is that there was a study done, in China, and the results of that study showed that D3 deficiency definitely did NOT contribute to SAD in those test subjects.

I do my homework. And I've suffered symptoms of SAD for a couple of decades.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:14 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,325,211 times
I had more luck with light therapy than SAM-E, but neither were as good as anti-depressants. But I definitely urge you to have your wife's vitamin D levels checked in a blood test. I now live in Southern Arizona -- no lack of sunlight here all year long. And yet I was recently found to have no traces of D in my blood despite the fact that I was already taking a daily multivitamin (with the RDA of D fulfilled) AND two D3 capsules DAILY. My doctor had to order prescription-level doses of Vitamin D to get me up to a level that's still not optimal. No one seems to know why people with mood disorders and thyroid issues don't process D normally -- it's a chicken/egg deal -- but it deserves attention by anyone experiencing depression or appearing to have thyroid disorder -- especially if you're in a lack-of-light location.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:02 AM

My wife had her D levels checked, and they seem to be within normal range. I'm going to tell her to look into the light box again. Someone had told her you need to sit in front of it for long periods of time, and with our baby walking around, she didn't think it was doable. I think a bit of a tanning salon might do her good, without overdoing it. She does exercise, takes omega 3's....trying everything but the funk still sets in.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:10 AM

In the winter months we stay indoors more and turn on the heater.

Heat will cause formaldehyde and PBDEs (Polybrominated diphenyl ethers/fire retardants) to emanate from carpeting and furniture.

These two chemicals are KNOWN to cause depression.

Check it out online. It's all well documented.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:48 AM

I will. Another thing for us to worry about. I saw these really cool green/natural houses (bungalow style) being built near Orlando, FL. Would love to get one of those eventually. So much to look out for.

My wife continues to take the SAM-E. She said she will try it for the season and see how she feels. Its a little more costly than some other supplements. She also went back to a gluten-free diet, which is getting easier with the stores offering more products. She said she instantly feels thinner, and her thyroid doesn't swell as much. Trader Joe's had a good sliced bread that is gluten-free, and when you toast it you can hardly tell the difference.

With the snow today, I think we'll just cover the windows with tropical pix!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health