Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 05:57 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,825 times

Advertisements

this is what I have. It consumes me. I am always comparing my face to celebrity women, seeing what I can do to fix my features to look more like them. Sometimes I become fixated on a particular feature and look up cosmetic procedures that I want to get to change how I look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 03:12 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
I can't understand why anyone would want to compare their own unique looks with some made up celebrity, who,.....believe me...don't really look anything like they do in the mags..in real life....maybe you are a very beautiful woman already nyanna...you just have to believe it.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:28 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,056,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
this is what I have. It consumes me. I am always comparing my face to celebrity women, seeing what I can do to fix my features to look more like them. Sometimes I become fixated on a particular feature and look up cosmetic procedures that I want to get to change how I look.
Have you acted on your compulsions? Plastic surgery? Cosmetic proceedures?
If not, there is hope for you.

Our obsession with looks and body image is so distorted these days it is not surprising that plastic surgeons are laughing all the way to the bank.

Find happiness in your own, inherited, DNA. You start changing that stuff and it will become your full time job. Keeping up with the celeb "du jour" is a thankless, desperate pursuit.

Body parts will, eventually, start heading south and heredity will take over.

Work on your self esteem and find a life time pursuit that provides you with happiness and satisfaction.

Celebrate and take care of the body that you were given.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:25 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,906 times
I don't know a lot about disorders, but I do know a little. It sounds to me like this disorder has some similarties to OCD. Have you gotten any help? I know that being obsessed about yoru looks in that way can lead to a lot of things that you probably want to avoid. I hope you are able to find a way to cope with it. Good luck.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:59 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Have you acted on your compulsions? Plastic surgery? Cosmetic proceedures?
If not, there is hope for you.

Our obsession with looks and body image is so distorted these days it is not surprising that plastic surgeons are laughing all the way to the bank.

Find happiness in your own, inherited, DNA. You start changing that stuff and it will become your full time job. Keeping up with the celeb "du jour" is a thankless, desperate pursuit.

Body parts will, eventually, start heading south and heredity will take over.

Work on your self esteem and find a life time pursuit that provides you with happiness and satisfaction.

Celebrate and take care of the body that you were given.
I don't have the money right now to afford cosmetic surgeries. However, I do use a lot of skin lighteners. None have never gotten me to my desired shade.

I have a hard time accepting my non-white features, it seriously depresses how i have the least desired phenotype. I dont even like leaving the house anymore

Old 04-24-2012, 06:18 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
Least desired by who?
I don't know if you're African American or not but regardless and generally speaking i find brown and "black" people more attractive and beautiful than white people. And i'm "white" btw for what it's worth.
You are aware that white people have been for decades browning themselves in the sun so that they can be darker and risking skin cancer in the process. Tells you something doesn't it?
If you're a person of color comparing yourself to the white beauties of Hollywood just stop it.
Deal with your issues when and if you can but put those damn magazines in the trash.
I know that in the black community there's a long history of preference toward lighter skin.
Is that what you're dealing with as well as your displeasure with your features?

Old 04-24-2012, 06:23 PM

399 posts, read 581,802 times
Quote:
I don't have the money right now to afford cosmetic surgeries. However, I do use a lot of skin lighteners. None have never gotten me to my desired shade.

I have a hard time accepting my non-white features, it seriously depresses how i have the least desired phenotype. I dont even like leaving the house anymore
There are some really ignorant people in this world but I don't know if your opinion of yourself comes from what you've heard others say or what you've decided to be true for yourself. But have you ever thought of cognitive behavioral therapy? It can be very effective in changing your perception of self.

Dark skin is so incredibly gorgeous! The way it glows in the sunlight and has this smooth chocolate creamy color after a shower, that lovely glisten when oiled and lotioned...

I'm dark skin and I'm actually on the verge of transitioning back to natural hair (I'm so excited! After tomorrow, I'm cutting off the last piece of processed hair!) and my hair will be kinky, afro natural. It's lovely and I can't stop looking at it and getting anxious. I look at all those lovely youtube videos of people with lovely 4a/4b natural hair and dark skin I just drool. But I can amp up dark skin and natural hair all i want, if you don't find those lovely features in yourself (because believe me, they EXIST!) I dunno...

I wanted to add, and I'm not sure if this will help or hurt with body dysmorphic disorder, but when i was going through a phase of self-esteem issues and feeling like my features and skin color wasn't appreciated, I didn't ask people on forums like this for their views on it, I found pictures of gorgeous dark skinned women, I looked at forums with people who were in happy, healthy relationships with women my complexion, from all races and it just showed me that there are people who are willing, strong, appreciative, and capable of appreciating me as I am and that further inspired me to love myself, my looks, my skin.

White Guys Who Love Black Women

Curly Nikki

Alicia James Music

Nurse Nacole

I know that people sometimes ignore me when my words don't fit in their current perception, but find the exception, nyanna. CBT can be beneficial.

Last edited by soliloquyenlightened; 04-24-2012 at 06:50 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 08:54 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,056,920 times
Quote:

It doesn't read like you suffer from body dysmorphic disorder. That DX is usually reserved for folks who have a very distorted/delusional image of themselves.

Reads like you are rather unhappy in your own skin. Phenotype is DNA plus environment.
You can't control your DNA but your have control over your environment. Do you live in a sunny/ hot place.......cover that skin.

It sounds like you are suffering from extremely low self esteem and depression.

Can you afford help for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health