Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 03:50 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
I am a certified Naturopath. St John's DOES help, but you need to do in the tincture form. No pills and no tea. The reason is that the tincture pulls 100% of the properties from the plant. Water, as in tea, will only pull approx. 25%. Pills...you never what they are cutting it with or how effective the absorption is.

Also, this particular plant takes at least 4 months to produce lasting effects. Most people who claim it doesn't work don't stick it out long enough to find out.
Not sure what a "tincture form" is, but I will do some research, which I planned to anyway re dosing. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 07:41 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not sure what a "tincture form" is, but I will do some research, which I planned to anyway re dosing. Thanks.
Certified Naturopath or not, i would take that advice with a grain of salt actually. But i'm not going to argue with him/her.
Although i do doubt that a tea will provide you with the potency that you need.
Do your own research, gather info and combine that with your "gut".

New Chapter makes excellent products.
Not all St. John's Wort is equal.
If you're going to go this route, i would not try to save a few bucks by buying it at a pharmacy.

Here are a couple of excellent New Chapter products with some helpful information as well.

Supercritical Serofin - Targeted therapeutic formula from New Chapter® (http://www.newchapter.com/targeted-herbal-formulas/serofin - broken link)

St. John's SC27 Supercritical herbal therapeutics from New Chapter® (http://www.newchapter.com/targeted-herbal-formulas/st-johns-sc27 - broken link)

Old 05-01-2012, 07:10 AM

Thanks. Don't worry, I will do some research on my own. When it comes to something like this, I'm not relying simply on an anonymous Internet poster. I do appreciate all the advice--it gives me starting points to look for information.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:19 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,995 times
Has anyone tried B-12 for depression? An elderly relative of mine is having a bout of depression. The doctor prescribed Zoloft for her, but her pharmacist told her the prescription can be difficult to get off of. She told her to try B-12. So that's what she is trying. It's only been about 2 weeks, so I'm not sure if it's helping yet.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-01-2012, 10:48 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
About whether anti-depressants are "addictive" or not, I don't have any personal experience. But a friend just weaned herself off of Effexor and it was very, very difficult. Every time she cut down the amount she was taking she had anxiety, nausea, flu-like symptoms, diarrhea, dizziness and something people in forums call "brain zaps." When she first cut back she had pressured speech and racing thoughts which I observed first hand. It may not be classified as withdrawal or addiction, but it was very unpleasant for her.

I know AD's do some people a lot of good and not all people have the same reactions, but there are some important things to consider when deciding to take them.

Mightyqueen, I look forward to hearing what your experience is.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:38 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Husband was on Zoloft for mild situational depression and a it wasn't working -- turned him into a zombie (his words). Talked to the doctor and we all decided to give Saint John's Wort a try. Worked for him.... went off it when he lost his job. Job was the main cause of his issues... and he didn't need it anymore.

Get a good brand, and I recommend sticking with that brand. My reasoning is each brand has it's way of extracting and compounding and the active part of the capsule should be pretty standard within each brand, so each capsule should be about the same...

Good luck!

Old 05-03-2012, 02:39 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I read that gluten can also cause depression. And that going "gluten" free could improve your mood. No more bread, pasta....I should do that...

Old 05-03-2012, 03:04 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I read that gluten can also cause depression. And that going "gluten" free could improve your mood. No more bread, pasta....I should do that...
The thought of going without bread or pasta makes me feel depressed.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Already there. Well, almost. My daughter is gluten intolerant and has been gluten-free since the age of 16. She is in college, but I learned to eat gluten-free because of her, though I don't always follow it. But I only buy Udi's bread, and there's a local place that has GF pizza, and I'm having GF pasta tonight for dinner. I feel better and less bloated without all that paper mache in my intestines, hehehe. We overload on processed wheat in the US.

My daughter has met people who have lost large amounts of weight just from going GF.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:14 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Hmm. Sort of like "Celiac Disease". I should probably try it...gluten free...tough. I looked at the Mayo Clinic website on this....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health