Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 01:29 PM

455 posts, read 652,384 times

Advertisements

I am a shy, quiet person man; I keep to myself and don't bother no one. Yet, a good portion of people love to nitpick, harass, intimidate, etc me for no good ****ING reason. I am at a point in my life where i don't really give a **** about myself, my fellow humanoids or the planet. I am losing ,if not have already lost, the will to live. I am a walking zombie. My career is in the dog house; my social life is non-existent; my soul has left the building.

I am going to try therapy one more time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 02:10 PM

95 posts, read 247,877 times
You sound like a nice person. Many are not-- sometimes intentionally, and some people are unfortunately too checked out to notice they're being nasty. Who the heck are they to determine your next steps?

There are better out there, like yourself, and they would love for you to stay. Someone is depending on your goodness...do you know other people who feel sad or at a loss (even just see many of the threads in this forum) ; do you have pets or like animals? You have a purpose-- you can connect with others, like you just did with your post. It may seem simple, but not everyone can hook in like you just did.

Great you're going to check out therapy a bit more, you never no where or when that turnaround can come from.

And there are friends here so let us know if you'd like to talk more. Take care Kal and take heart, you're not alone at all.

Last edited by Neway99; 04-26-2012 at 02:27 PM..

Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,549,979 times
Sorry that you've had the misfortune of coming into contact with negative unkind people. I do hope therapy helps. What else have you tried, if anything?

Old 04-26-2012, 09:41 PM

5,587 posts, read 6,519,238 times
I don't have enough information to form an opinion on why this is happening to you. Is it really, or are you imagining it, or are "thin-skinned"? I know I get my feelings hurt fairly easily. Why do you feel you are being singled out? Are you doing something that is considered "outside the box"? Are you not doing something you should be doing, either at home or on the job? Who exactly is doing the nit-picking:family, co-workers or boss? Who is harassing you and why: co-workers, family, boss? Who is intimidating you: family, boss or co-workers?

Old 04-27-2012, 08:06 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,240,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
My career is in the dog house
i feel for you dude, i understand everything you said, especially about being a quiet type person and others taking advantage of that. with that being said, you really shouldnt base your misery on a lack of a career. people who focus their whole lives on work usually arent happy. you may need a chance in lifestyle, change in scenery. i dont know you at all, but work is not something that should ruin your life. **** work. there i said it.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 AM

455 posts, read 652,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I don't have enough information to form an opinion on why this is happening to you. Is it really, or are you imagining it, or are "thin-skinned"? I know I get my feelings hurt fairly easily. Why do you feel you are being singled out? Are you doing something that is considered "outside the box"? Are you not doing something you should be doing, either at home or on the job? Who exactly is doing the nit-picking:family, co-workers or boss? Who is harassing you and why: co-workers, family, boss? Who is intimidating you: family, boss or co-workers?
Maybe i am thin-skinned. I am having anxiety when it comes to dealing with people since i am always thinking that people are thinking negative about me. I avoid eye contact with people on the streets due to this and i guess this is why the weirdo/creep vibe might stem from.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:53 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,725,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
Maybe i am thin-skinned. I am having anxiety when it comes to dealing with people since i am always thinking that people are thinking negative about me. I avoid eye contact with people on the streets due to this and i guess this is why the weirdo/creep vibe might stem from.
Try to remember that most people you know casually, and especially those you pass on the street, don't have enough information about you to form an opinion, positive or negative. Also, they're so wrapped up in their own lives that they're not thinking about you one way or the other.

Hope you find a good therapist who can teach you some techniques for redirecting your thoughts.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:23 AM

25,968 posts, read 22,154,119 times
Kal.: Therapy sounds like a good idea. There are a lot of real losers that feel better about themselves by putting other people down and after you put up with a few, it can seem like maybe everyone feels the same way but that is not the case and you need to develop enough self-confidence (I think this is probably "thick skin") so you can hold your head up and realize that most people aren't like the losers that put others down and when you do come across them, you can just write them off for the losers they are and forget about them.

I do wonder how you would like your life to come "together". There must be something you could do to point yourself in the direction of your dreams, even if a little step, it can help tide you over the rougher spots.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:09 AM

202 posts, read 473,141 times
Two points that have worked well in my life that I believe will help you, Kal.

One is to stay away as much as possible from the people that are causing you grief. In ones life there are chosen and unchosen relationships. Some, like at your job, might be hard to stay away from. Others , even some relatives might be people you can choose to stay away from. I would not ever burn your bridges though. Just be pleasant to everyone but stay away from the bad ones.

#2 has worked extremely well for me. Find out what you like to do. Use that talent, and I know you have some, to help other people. Do you like kids? You could find a school to help at sometimes. Do you have any people you know that might need help with a project you are good at like fixing things? I have a list of some older people that I have met that I call every so often just to talk and see how they are. They are in different parts of the country. I like plumbing so I help neighbors with plumbing problems. I like to work on cars so I help people in need with that. Lots of volunteering available at Church's. Nursing homes could be very rewarding to you. Tons of people in need out there.

If you like pets you could volunteering at the local shelter. The bottom line is that if you start thinking about others your problems will become less and you will be amazed at how good it makes you feel to make others feel good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health