Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:03 PM

12 posts, read 18,700 times

Advertisements

I really believe I should see a therapist for various issues. What's the best way to choose a therapist? I don't want to ask family because I don't want them to know I'm in therapy. I also don't have a doctor I see regularly for a referral.

I don't want to just pick someone off the internet. What's the best way to find someone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 11:26 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Actually, you can use the internet to look up the association for marriage and family therapists in your city - or social workers - whatever you prefer . . . then pick the ones that have specialties that appeal to you. Then call and talk to them and see who you "click" with. The internet is fine because they are all licensed (make sure they are).

Old 06-07-2013, 06:50 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
In general, for run of the mill problems with relationships, work, home, etc., just search in the yellow pages for counseling.

Then beyond that, look for someone nearby and one which takes your insurance. If no insurance and on a budget, some county health departments offer low cost counseling (or call a couple of counselors and they may be able to give you a few phone numbers).

If your issues are highly complex, physical in nature, or something unusual, it would help if you could say a little about what those problems are, then people here could direct you to a specific type of therapist. Just like medical doctors can specialize in certain things like heart, sports medicine, old folks care, etc., so can therapists.

For example a psychiatrist is a medical doctor and can prescribe drugs, and psychologists / counselors don't typically prescribe drugs, but work with psychiatrists if drugs are needed.

Also for "general advice" about life's problems, you can talk to 5 or 6 different people about the issue, then most of them will suggest doing the same thing to resolve the problem - that is usually pretty good advice. But best if those people are not personally involved in the situation, are different ages, men/women, young/older, religious/not-religious, etc. (You get a wider range of experience from those different people.)

Here is a bit on the different types of therapists...
Psychiatry, Psychology, Counseling, and Therapy: What to Expect

Old 06-07-2013, 08:08 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
If it is covered by your health insurance, go on the website and do a search based on their area of expertise. If that's not applicable, do the same as an Internet search.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:21 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,732 times
Also ask, how long have they been doing this; what interventions/methods do they use; how long before seeing results; what was their training; how many clients have they seen do this; what are the failures they've seen and what do they attribute this to; have they gotten certificates or supervision in this area; how many persons are they seeing like this now? Get a therapist like you find any other professional: ask specific questions. Most will give you 5 minutes of time and you should be able to 'feel' the fit through your phone interaction with them. Seeing them in person clinches the deal.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:45 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
Also ask, how long have they been doing this; what interventions/methods do they use; how long before seeing results; what was their training; how many clients have they seen do this; what are the failures they've seen and what do they attribute this to; have they gotten certificates or supervision in this area; how many persons are they seeing like this now? Get a therapist like you find any other professional: ask specific questions. Most will give you 5 minutes of time and you should be able to 'feel' the fit through your phone interaction with them. Seeing them in person clinches the deal.
Ask the questions that are important to YOU. I would not care about any of the questions listed above and a lot of therapists would think you were a PITA if you gave that barrage.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Ask the questions that are important to YOU. I would not care about any of the questions listed above and a lot of therapists would think you were a PITA if you gave that barrage.

Good advice^^^

Also note that the therapist is trying to "figure you out" from the get go. If you ask questions someone else told you to ask, the therapist might be mislead as to what type of personality you have (that of the person suggesting you ask those questions and not your own personality!)

So best to be yourself. If that is not asking any questions, then do that. Or asking a few questions, do that. Or if you are the type to ask a lot of question, ask away!

(Or if asking questions someone else told you to ask, say "Someone else said I should ask these questions" or "I read somewhere I should ask these questions".)

Old 06-08-2013, 08:26 AM

After I had been seeing my therapist for a while, he asked me why I had chosen him. He was expanding his business (had started doing therapy on the side while he still held a full-time job) and wanted some insight.

I told him that first of all, I'd been given four names by the person on the phone from my health insurance as having some of the expertise that applied to my situation (marriage/relationship issues, dealing with alcoholism), and next that I'd chosen him out of the four because of his location, the fact that he had five letters in both his first and last names, and that I liked the sound of his voice on his answering machine.

He said, "I'd like to see how you would choose a heart surgeon."

Old 06-08-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
After I had been seeing my therapist for a while, he asked me why I had chosen him. He was expanding his business (had started doing therapy on the side while he still held a full-time job) and wanted some insight.

I told him that first of all, I'd been given four names by the person on the phone from my health insurance as having some of the expertise that applied to my situation (marriage/relationship issues, dealing with alcoholism), and next that I'd chosen him out of the four because of his location, the fact that he had five letters in both his first and last names, and that I liked the sound of his voice on his answering machine.
Was he a good therapist? If yes, then you must have a good method of choosing!

Old 06-09-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Was he a good therapist? If yes, then you must have a good method of choosing!
Yes, he was great! LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health