Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:48 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
I think it is an interesting question.

Basically can some people regularly (occasionally) use hard drugs (or pain relievers like Vicodin or Oxycontin) without getting addicted to them in the same way some people can drink alcohol without becoming an alcoholic?
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 11:54 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,807,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But, he was good friends with Mick Jagger, and in his book, he said that Mick has never been addicted to anything. He partied like crazy, used a lot of different drugs, but has never allowed himself to become addicted. I thought that was interesting.
I've heard that some people never get addicted, no matter what. I sure wouldn't want to gamble on that and test the theory, but I've heard of people like that and that they're extremely rare. The theory was that the 8 scientists who developed heroin were all non-addictive personalities and that the odds would be akin to them all being former lottery winners, but again, I have no idea how long they tested it on themselves. (I'm your age MQ and I read that when I was 16, so take it FWIW. LOL. )

Old 07-15-2013, 01:10 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,247,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I've heard that some people never get addicted, no matter what. I sure wouldn't want to gamble on that and test the theory, but I've heard of people like that and that they're extremely rare. The theory was that the 8 scientists who developed heroin were all non-addictive personalities and that the odds would be akin to them all being former lottery winners, but again, I have no idea how long they tested it on themselves. (I'm your age MQ and I read that when I was 16, so take it FWIW. LOL. )
Some folks have "addictive personalities" and will get addicted to anything.

Some are addicted to cats, others to cleaning their teeth or pulling their eyebrows out or going to church.

Genetic, probably.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:55 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,778,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Some folks have "addictive personalities" and will get addicted to anything.

Some are addicted to cats, others to cleaning their teeth or pulling their eyebrows out or going to church.

Genetic, probably.
These are not addictions. They are, at worst, obsessions, and usually don't even rise to that level unless there is significant amount of repetitive, anxiety-producing behavior around them -- the thing you see in classic OCD. Moreover, there are no chemical intermediaries to produce behavioral changes, threre are rarely any serious negative life consequences (aside from people thinking you're a bit wierd). I know the word addiction can be throws around loosely, but considering these behaviors as adictive is by most folks definitions, a little too loose.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:13 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,690,100 times
Quote:
Good post. Yes, not all drugs are the same. Cocaine isn't really physically addicting the way heroin is. It's psychologically addicting and once you start using it on an occasion, it's not always easy to stop ON THAT OCCASION, but most people aren't going to HAVE to have it again when they wake up the next day or go through the physical withdrawal that one would with heroin. That's why it's such a popular "recreational" drug. Lots of people do coke on weekends and special occasions and walk away from it when the party is over.

Heroin, on the other hand, is an opiate, and opiates are physically addictive to the human brain.

Your remarks on the rockstar were interesting. Years ago, I read Papa John, the autobiography of the late John Phillips, famous for singing with the Mamas and the Papas and a prolific songwriter for other famous bands. He had bigtime addiction issues that eventually destroyed his liver and killed him. But, he was good friends with Mick Jagger, and in his book, he said that Mick has never been addicted to anything. He partied like crazy, used a lot of different drugs, but has never allowed himself to become addicted. I thought that was interesting.
I've read the same thing about Mick Jagger. I read a lot of musician autobiographies and it's funny as it's been mentioned in a couple of them. I find it kind of amazing considering the culture and the era they were in. Speaking of addiction, my all time favorite read would have to be Nikki Sixx's The Heroin Diaries. Even if you're not a fan of the Crue, it's a must read if you enjoy reading about their lives.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:03 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,438,375 times
Quote:
He had bigtime addiction issues that eventually destroyed his liver and killed him.
When does something get so bad that it is not longer an "issue" and it becomes a "problem"? I mean it almost sounds like this addition was a problem.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:27 AM

5,522 posts, read 8,778,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
When does something get so bad that it is not longer an "issue" and it becomes a "problem"? I mean it almost sounds like this addition was a problem.
You are trying to split hairs here, and I don't understand why. When the use of a substance continues despite repeated negative consequences, it's just plain bad -- whether you call it an "issue", a "problem", an "addiction" or "abuse". Ultimately the word makes no difference. The bad outcomes of drug/alcohol use are still bad no matter how you describe them.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:04 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,660,273 times
My nephew is a "pot addict"...it became such a problem that his parents had to withdraw him from college and Baker Act him...THC was the only drug found to be in his system...don't under estimate today's pot...now his brother who is 18 months older can take it or leave it(pot)...you just never know which group you will fall into before you start...

Old 07-16-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
You are trying to split hairs here,
Just having a little fun, that's all. We don't have problems anymore; he have issues.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
My nephew is a "pot addict"...it became such a problem that his parents had to withdraw him from college and Baker Act him...THC was the only drug found to be in his system...don't under estimate today's pot...now his brother who is 18 months older can take it or leave it(pot)...you just never know which group you will fall into before you start...
Kind of like how two parents can have one far kid and one thin kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health