Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 12:17 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,301,245 times

Advertisements

^^^That is a quote from Doctor Drew Pinsky that I just heard on HLN. It was just a soundbyte without any context, but it was a powerful enough statement to get my wheels turning.

1) Of COURSE all of our mental problems today can be traced back to the 70s. People living now were either new grandparents in the 1970s, or parents, or newborns, or soon-to-be born.

2) Drugs, social rebelliousness & unrest, political upheavals, shifting cultural values all played a part in people's mental unease.

3) I, for one being born in 1975, was a Diethylstilbestrol baby as was my older brother. From the 1920s-early 1970s millions of expectant mothers were prescribed Diethylstilbestrol to prevent miscarriages. After my mother had one miscarriage in the early 70s, her doctor put her on this medicine. Then my brother was born. True to recent studies being done on Diethylstilbestrol children, my brother has had behavioral problems his entire life which has required medication. He was also born with an immune deficiency which requires monthly IV infusions. I have always had behavioral issues as well, which slowly ballooned into bipolar disorder and worsens with age. Diethylstilbestrol was banned by the FDA right around the time I was born because doctors started noticing the defects it had been causing in babies.

4) Notwithstanding my own unique journey, I think that the media is largely to blame for messing with people's sanity. For advertisers to effectively grasp our attention, they throw increasingly questionable material into our faces. Yes, it catches our attention but disturbs us mentally! Images we can't purge from our minds eventually desensitize us, then we need increasingly shocking things in order to react at all. Yes, many people are going insane.

5) Before the 1970s and 1960s, the USA was aiming toward idealism. The media reflected these ideals...for example here is a video among many in a series which used mass media to teach people how to be proper and highly functional: http://youtu.be/ekHxjOYigb0. I personally adore these videos and wonder what the hell has happened to people and the media these days. The people who made those 1950s videos clearly meant well, and it makes me feel so safe and secure and sane while watching those videos, that people can be so well-adjusted, intelligent, and logical, and use the media to promote the wellness of mankind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 02:20 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Default Long, long before that

I think it can be traced back to a time long before that...to Slavery. The type of people who felt that enslaving another human being, treating them like animals, while they pranced around with a false sense of superiority, took a level of dysfunction and derangement that has no equal in the history of civilization. Many centuries later, this country is still being decimated by the effects of this affliction, cursed by the racist and bigoted behavior of the pathetic descendants of slavery supporters. These people are mentally ill.

I credit President Obama and the media for bringing this issue of race, bigotry, and racism in America, to the surface, since it remains this country's greatest shame.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:33 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I think it can be traced back to a time long before that...to Slavery. The type of people who felt that enslaving another human being, treating them like animals, while they pranced around with a false sense of superiority, took a level of dysfunction and derangement that has no equal in the history of civilization. Many centuries later, this country is still being decimated by the effects of this affliction, cursed by the racist and bigoted behavior of the pathetic descendants of slavery supporters. These people are mentally ill.

I credit President Obama and the media for bringing this issue of race, bigotry, and racism in America, to the surface, since it remains this country's greatest shame.
No, I don't believe the people were mentally ill in that case and in so saying, I think you are making light of the entire issue.

Can you be specific as to why you think this as in what diagnosis you see most of the southern people at the time along with those Africans that sold the slaves to those that transported them to the US?

Here is a couple of articles to help with understanding the beginning of recognizing mental "disorders": American Experience | A Brilliant Madness | Timeline and A Brief History of Mental Illness and the U.S. Mental Health Care System

Old 08-26-2015, 02:39 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,611 times
Wow. Gotta play the race card even discussing something so unrelated?

Old 08-26-2015, 04:16 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
^^^That is a quote from Doctor Drew Pinsky that I just heard on HLN. It was just a soundbyte without any context, but it was a powerful enough statement to get my wheels turning.
Pinsky's quote had to be taken out of context. As an M.D., I doubt he believed that mental illness could be traced only to such a recent period.

The Greek physician Hippocrates wrote of mental illness as early as 400 B.C.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:57 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Pinsky's quote had to be taken out of context. As an M.D., I doubt he believed that mental illness could be traced only to such a recent period.

The Greek physician Hippocrates wrote of mental illness as early as 400 B.C.
Had to be out of context or else he himself may have mental illness. Everyone knows there has always been mental illness. Sometimes it's due to an imbalance in the brain, other times it may be due to things that happened to the person in their life.

You should meet my cousin some time--and she was born in 1944.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:13 PM

3,508 posts, read 766,278 times
Quote:

an award here for the worst post i`ve read on here please ... and i`ve read a lot of bad ones ....

Old 08-26-2015, 08:40 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:

This doesn't make any sense at all. Slavery has been around for millennia, not centuries. So has mental illness. People who have nothing to do with slavery one way or the other still become mentally ill. And this is the Mental Health Forum, not the Politics and Other Controversies Forum.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:33 PM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Shame is something you impose upon yourself. Guilt is something we all impose upon you.

Bigotry, racism, etc. is merely a manifestation of selfishness and fear, traits we humans have possessed since we've walked the planet.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:51 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
The root of the problem: people are encouraged more by the day to consider 'life problems' 'mental illnesses.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health