Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 02:06 PM

820 posts, read 972,968 times

Advertisements

My uncle and I go deer hunting every weekend and we stay at the lodge for 2 nights. I enjoy the trips immensely, but we share a tiny room with twin beds, and my uncle snores so loudly that you can hear him from a mile away (I'm not in the least bit exaggerating). My average sleep time there is about 5 or 6 hours. I currently wear foam earplugs to bed and I put headphones over those, and sometimes it works, but sometimes it's so loud that I can hear it as if I wasn't wearing any ear protection. I do not want to wake him up nor take my pillow and blankets and go sleep downstairs. He does sleep on his back, and that's his preferred position. We go to bed at 7:30 pm (which is hard enough for me because I'm always wired since I usually go to bed at 10 or 11 at home) and get up at 5am, so I need my sleep. I am wiling to sleep separately if it comes to that, but any tips on how to sleep with my uncle cutting down trees right next to me without waking him up or changing rooms? My aunt is so used to it at home that she just falls asleep and she doesn't care if he goes for a sleep study. So any suggestions guys? I would go to bed at 10 or 11, but my uncle goes at 7:30, and he falls asleep and is snoring within minutes of lying down. I am also the one who shoots. He is the guide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 02:14 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Accidentally shoot him? Problem solved ...

Turn on soothing music on your headphones.
Change rooms.

I got irritated ears from stuffing earplugs down my ears with a snoring husband (I heard him even with earplugs in). He had to sleep in a different room and I still heard him.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:22 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Get your own room, problem solved!

Old 10-27-2015, 02:23 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Why the hell have you posted this in the mental health section LOL

Old 10-27-2015, 02:24 PM

820 posts, read 972,968 times
I should add that he's retired, and he sleeps for at least 3 hours during the day as well as sleeping a full night. He snores during the day too

Old 10-27-2015, 02:28 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post

Because this is the kind of hell that will cause a mental breakdown. I've been there before. It sucks something awful. My best recommendation would be Ambien or Lunesta for you, OP. Or stop going on the hunting trip.

I had a roommate a while back who snored so loud, I pictured the old cartoons with the walls moving in and out and the roof going up and down. It was my own personal hell on Earth.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:31 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Because this is the kind of hell that will cause a mental breakdown. I've been there before. It sucks something awful. My best recommendation would be Ambien or Lunesta for you, OP. Or stop going on the hunting trip.

I had a roommate a while back who snored so loud, I pictured the old cartoons with the walls moving in and out and the roof going up and down. It was my own personal hell on Earth.
That's funny

How long did you put up with it for?

Old 10-30-2015, 07:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
My gosh, just move downstairs. Not only will you be able to somewhat escape the noise, you won't have to go to sleep at such a crazy early hour.

Why is it so awful to consider just moving downstairs?

Old 10-30-2015, 07:36 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Not enough sleep can cause hallucinations, delusions, depression, and wanting to commit suicide. I'm not kidding. As for the answer to OP's question, I suggest you sleep separately from your uncle. Getting enough sleep is super important. I'm not sure why you haven't done this already, since you mentioned it was an option. Taking lots of pills and using earplugs are inferior solutions to just sleeping normally in a separate area.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:12 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
Don't know how close your beds are, but invest $50 in one of these. I bought one to drown out noises in my neighborhood. Together with my Liquid Mind CDs, I can get some quality sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health