Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2016, 03:45 AM

164 posts, read 329,282 times

Advertisements

Will try and be short and to the point. We been together 12 years married for 10 she had 2 kids when we met and we had 2 kids together. Last 4 to 5 years she has been on pain medicine for a back injury and Ritalin for AFHD. Always been moody and not the greatest mother/wife. She relied on me to take care of everything At first she took medication as prescribed then it got to the point she would go thru a months worth of medicine in 2-3 weeks then be sick for 1-2 weeks due to withdrawals. About a month ago she started hearing voices at this point I started doing some research and found out Ritalin can cause auditory hallucinations so we talk to her doctor. He decides to take her off the Ritalin and add something for bipolar/depression. She could be happy 1 minute then pissed off the next. First 2 weeks everything was going OK she still heard voices but nothing serious.

Then BOOM something flipped inside her mind and she started talking to walls thinking it was a cop/judge she would have full conversations with the wall about her surrending and not wanting to get shot or tased. This point I took her to emergency room. The run all sorts of tests and think she has insomnia so give her some medication to help her sleep. Few days later I am being accused of knocking up our landlord, hiding multiple girlfriends in our attic she would even have conversations with the roof. Then she started accusing me of purposely making her sick so I can start this new life with my landlord. Which is completely untrue I can't even have anymore kids. Trip #2 to ER. Mental health people come to talk to use. But there isn't much they can do because she hasn't self-harmed or hurt me or the kids. So they send us home with instructions if she gets out of control to call the cops. So last night she got very rude even with the kids she was screaming and accusing me once again of every dirty deed under the son. Cops show up talk to her explain to her if she keeps it up or gets physical she would spend a night in jail. So my question is where do I go for help from here? We live in a little town so mental health place is small. They seem to just want to pass the buck onto someone/place else. Hospital doesn't want to do much because they don't know if it's a mental issue or a drug abuse issue. Even though for the last 4 months I have had 100% control of all medication making sure she took her correct doze at correct times. Any and all advice is appreciated thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 04:01 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,928,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson15 View Post
Will try and be short and to the point. We been together 12 years married for 10 she had 2 kids when we met and we had 2 kids together. Last 4 to 5 years she has been on pain medicine for a back injury and Ritalin for AFHD. Always been moody and not the greatest mother/wife. She relied on me to take care of everything At first she took medication as prescribed then it got to the point she would go thru a months worth of medicine in 2-3 weeks then be sick for 1-2 weeks due to withdrawals. About a month ago she started hearing voices at this point I started doing some research and found out Ritalin can cause auditory hallucinations so we talk to her doctor. He decides to take her off the Ritalin and add something for bipolar/depression. She could be happy 1 minute then pissed off the next. First 2 weeks everything was going OK she still heard voices but nothing serious.

Then BOOM something flipped inside her mind and she started talking to walls thinking it was a cop/judge she would have full conversations with the wall about her surrending and not wanting to get shot or tased. This point I took her to emergency room. The run all sorts of tests and think she has insomnia so give her some medication to help her sleep. Few days later I am being accused of knocking up our landlord, hiding multiple girlfriends in our attic she would even have conversations with the roof. Then she started accusing me of purposely making her sick so I can start this new life with my landlord. Which is completely untrue I can't even have anymore kids. Trip #2 to ER. Mental health people come to talk to use. But there isn't much they can do because she hasn't self-harmed or hurt me or the kids. So they send us home with instructions if she gets out of control to call the cops. So last night she got very rude even with the kids she was screaming and accusing me once again of every dirty deed under the son. Cops show up talk to her explain to her if she keeps it up or gets physical she would spend a night in jail. So my question is where do I go for help from here? We live in a little town so mental health place is small. They seem to just want to pass the buck onto someone/place else. Hospital doesn't want to do much because they don't know if it's a mental issue or a drug abuse issue. Even though for the last 4 months I have had 100% control of all medication making sure she took her correct doze at correct times. Any and all advice is appreciated thank you

Can you drive out of town to a city that has better mental health care? Sounds like your wife has serious mental issues that need to be taken care of; just because there is no harm done to anyone doesn't mean this doesn't need to be treated since it sounds as though it is interfering with her ability to be a productive member of society--mental health professionals should be aware of that as we were even taught that in pharmacy school (from what I can remember, it sounds as though she may have symptoms of schizophrenia). Surely there's a larger city within a 3 to 4 hour drive from you. I live in the western North Carolina region and the people here drive to the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area for advanced medical care that they can't get here. Sounds like something like that may be the only option for you. Best wishes in this difficult time.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:20 AM

We are roughly 3 hours out of the salt lake city area. I can get her up there just don't know how to do it with 4 kids in tow. No family is willing to help. Last night I begged family members to take our kids for the weekend so I can get her the help she needs. The family I asked said they can only help next week on their days off. We are also on a very tight budget

Old 06-04-2016, 08:24 PM

888 posts, read 890,283 times
My prayers for you my friend; you have a difficult situation.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:57 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Is there a medical social worker at the hospital where you took her that you can phone and get a referral?
Have you talked to her personal doctor for a referral. Also google MHMR in Utah.

Hve you tried this: http://ush.utah.gov

Old 06-04-2016, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Is there a medical social worker at the hospital where you took her that you can phone and get a referral?
Have you talked to her personal doctor for a referral. Also google MHMR in Utah.

Hve you tried this: Utah State Hospital | Mental Illness treatment in a safe and healing environment.

Thanks for the information will check out those resources in the morning. As far as her primary Dr he wants to give her anti-psychotic medication several days to kick in

Old 06-04-2016, 10:49 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Mental Health | Substance Abuse & Mental Health This link identifies agencies by county in UT

Old 06-13-2016, 01:47 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
You have my sympathy. I have similar issues with my husband. We do not have children, which I'm sure is a big part of your concern right now, but even without kids in the mix these sorts of symptoms are really difficult to deal with. I wish I had more practical advice. My husband actually got violent to the point I pressed charges and he now lives separately for my safety and to help relieve his paranoia. That is helping, at least for now, but it's still difficult. Because he's unable to support himself in his present state, I am currently paying for two homes, which it sounds like is out of the question for you. Because of the abuse side, many people have told me to simply abandon him, however even if abandoning him wasn't emotionally difficult, from a practical standpoint I wouldn't feel safe with him being literally homeless, stewing in his own juices and with his paranoia building up a massive grudge against me. So I pay to keep him off the street for now.

The state I'm in has laws that are, in theory, more open to getting people committed (the theoretical standard here is whether they're able to care for themselves independently), but in practice doctors are often still reluctant to commit people against their will without there being a real threat to life. I've tried twice to get him committed and only managed to get him held for a few days.

What I've done in addition to what I've stated is to start divorce proceedings and get him registered on Medicaid, because many of the most holistic mental health programs here only accept Medicaid. That finally came through just today, so now I'm going to start calling back the places I talked to that only accept Medicaid to see what sorts of support I can get for him from them now that he has government backing. Some of the Medicaid programs will, at least in theory, help him get housing even after I'm no longer able/willing to pay for his current home. He'll have that home for a year, barring some radical problem with finances, but I don't want to have to pay for two homes indefinitely of course.

I'm sorry I don't have more practical advice for you, other than maybe the Medicaid thing if that is possible in your situation, but I thought I'd reply anyway so that you at least knew you're not the only person going through something similar. All the best.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:52 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,461 times
I feel for you OP... Sincerely feel for you.
Look into Baker Acting her... sounds like that's needed... for her AND your protection.
God bless you all during this trying time.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:58 AM

Thanks for the replies. Sorry it's been hectic or would of posted more. A few days after I posted this she attempted suicide twice. First time she tried swallowing a whole bottle of Seroquel thankfully I was close enough I got my fingers in her mouth causing her to spit them all out. The following day she attempted to slit her throat with a knife after a wrestling match got the knife away from her only leaving a cut on her hand. Got cops involved again after her telling them she needs help they drove her to the hospital.

They evaluate her and called local mental health facility to come talk to her. Once again there is dienal along with confusion on what she will admit what is wrong with her. Mental health place thinks it's drug related and what her to go to a rehab facility. We call them and tell them what's going on and they say it's a mental health issue. So lots of back and forth. It's been 2 weeks since then she still has very high highs and lower lows when she thinks the voices are real. Finally got local mental health facility to start on therapy that's about all they want to do. That starts tomorrow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health