Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 11:40 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
About 8 years, for me. 1997 - 2005.
I used Effexor and when I decided to get off, I backed off very slowly. It probably took me 2 months or longer.
I had several depressive episodes in my life until '97, but none since I used medication and gave myself time to find a new 'me'. I am 73 years old.
I was on Luvox. I took about the same amount of time to wean myself off.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:06 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times
I talked to my doc and we are going off the Zoloft (again) and going with Prozac. I really like the calmness that Zoloft gives me, but the brain fog is too much. I can't do my job. I was on Prozac a long time ago and it made me feel quite sharp, but did not do much for anxiety. Some days my social anxiety is crippling. I get very nervous dealing with people. I don't even like shopping (except for the grocery store because no one bothers me there). Sometimes I get nervous even with family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 09:02 PM

385 posts, read 324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I talked to my doc and we are going off the Zoloft (again) and going with Prozac. I really like the calmness that Zoloft gives me, but the brain fog is too much. I can't do my job. I was on Prozac a long time ago and it made me feel quite sharp, but did not do much for anxiety. Some days my social anxiety is crippling. I get very nervous dealing with people. I don't even like shopping (except for the grocery store because no one bothers me there). Sometimes I get nervous even with family.
Though most SSRIs (= selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors; Zoloft is a case in point) have FDA approval to treat both depression and anxiety, my experience (as a provider) is that, generally speaking, they work better for depression than anxiety.

Another way to conceptualize it: it may be that depression is "easier to treat" than anxiety. Only "easier" in a occasional relative sense.

A patient will normally be fine with mild anxiety on an SSRI. But if the anxiety is in the moderate to severe range, sometimes the SSRI struggles to treat that intensity of anxiety.

With severe social anxiety (and yes, folks, it is real and can be crippling), it may be that it would be a big help to --at least periodically -- have a benzodiazepine, a different class of psychotropic medications that treat anxiety by working on GABA (= gamma-aminobutyric acid). I am referring to Xanax (alprazolam) and Klonopin (clonazepam).

Sometimes primary care doctors don't mind prescribing SSRIs for mild to moderate psychiatric illness, but they don't want to prescribe benzodiazepines, because of the potential for abuse (all benzos . . . are controlled substances; specifically C IV). And some psychiatrists are hesitant to prescribe them as well.

Regardless, your social anxiety is severe (note: it is social anxiety with agoraphobia), I definitely recommend seeing a psychiatrist for treatment. He will understand because he has seen this before. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health