Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2020, 09:08 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,040,242 times

Advertisements

I'm about 70 years old and I am a little concerned with my short-term memory. I can remember appointments. If I put on my coat and walk to the door I will remember where I am going. An example of my short-term memory concern would be my seeing an actor on TV. I will wonder where he was born so a few minutes later during a commercial I will walk to another room, turn on my PC, put my fingers on the keyboard and then forget who I was going to look-up. Sometimes I will wonder why I turned on my computer. I might recreate the act where the original thought came from in an effort to jog my memory. Usually that fails. This sort of thing happens 2 or 3 times a day. It is annoying. Does anyone else go through this kind of short-term memory lapses?

I'll try to remember to come back and check this thread.

(That last sentence is kind of a joke... kind of.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 09:12 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,808,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I'm about 70 years old and I am a little concerned with my short-term memory. I can remember appointments. If I put on my coat and walk to the door I will remember where I am going. An example of my short-term memory concern would be my seeing an actor on TV. I will wonder where he was born so a few minutes later during a commercial I will walk to another room, turn on my PC, put my fingers on the keyboard and then forget who I was going to look-up. Sometimes I will wonder why I turned on my computer. I might recreate the act where the original thought came from in an effort to jog my memory. Usually that fails. This sort of thing happens 2 or 3 times a day. It is annoying. Does anyone else go through this kind of short-term memory lapses?

Happens to me sometimes and I'm 20 years younger. Scares the crap out of me, I gotta say. At 70, probably normal. I do think part of the issue is all the info coming at us 24/7. Peoples attention spans have definitely declined with all the technology. Just not sure if its a direct correlation or not.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:51 AM

4,203 posts, read 3,427,708 times
And when I was even younger than you, Atlguy, it began happening to me. I wandered out of the room for something or other, forgot what it was, wandered back, repeat ad infinitum.

It originated from the day I first worked on a computer.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:06 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,040,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Happens to me sometimes and I'm 20 years younger. Scares the crap out of me, I gotta say. At 70, probably normal. I do think part of the issue is all the info coming at us 24/7. Peoples attention spans have definitely declined with all the technology. Just not sure if its a direct correlation or not.
Well, I did remember to come back to the thread I started. Since all of this was on my mind, I decided to take a few internet short-term memory tests. I tested slightly below average on things like word and number memory. For some reason I did considerably better on image memory. Ironically, I wrote the first sentence of this post and then forgot for a few seconds exactly what I wanted to say; a kind of an oh no, not now moment. But then it came to me that I wanted to say something about the memory tests.

Last edited by GalileoSmith; 02-12-2020 at 12:24 PM..

Old 02-12-2020, 11:13 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,763,901 times
I'm 76 and in excellent health, but I also have short-term memory problems. I guess there are some things not worth remembering.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:50 AM

546 posts, read 244,188 times
I'm a big fan of the book 'The End of Alzheimer' by Dale Bredesen...he explains that Alzheimers has many causes not just one and that's why researchers are not having success with a drug...he has identified 36 causes but says there could be more...they include high inflammation, metal toxins, high blood sugar, lack of exercise, bad eating habits, smoking and poor sleeping habits.

He's had many success stories and he gives you a list of blood test that you need to check so you can follow the treatment yourself.

As a sidenote, people in Fiji have a low rate of Alzheimer that they think is due to the water that is available...it contains silica and silica is known to reduce the aluminum in our brains which is also a contributor.

This is from www.heathiguide.com... 10-ingredients that could cause Alzheimer’s

1) Trans Fats
2) Advanced Glycation End Products (cooking at high temperatures, processed foods)
3) Aluminum
4) Aspartame (sugar alternative)
5) Diacetyl (artificial flavoring in popcorn and baked goods)
6) MSG
7) Mercury
8) Tofu (A study published in Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders states that processed soy products like tofu can affect your memory over a period of time. You should switch to less processed soy foods like tempeh, which are much safer and healthier to consume.) This was interesting. Notably, the study examined high consumption of tofu and another study had a different outcome in the west. From the study: "It is unclear whether these negative associations could be attributed to potential toxins or to its phytoestrogen levels."
9) Nitrites (processed meats)
10) Fluoride (studies show that long-term consumption of the chemical could damage the brain, lower the IQ (particularly in children), and lead to brain diseases like Alzheimer’s. Experts say that the ingestion of sodium or aluminum fluoride could lead to the formation of amyloid deposits in the brain, which is associated with Alzheimer’s disease.)

Old 02-12-2020, 12:12 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,986,835 times
About 15 years ago I had an episode of transient global amnesia. I lost about 6 weeks of memory plus I had no short term memory at all. I would ask a question, then ask it over and over like Rainman because I had no memory of asking it. The incident lasted about 18 hours. I got back my short term memory, but probably not the 6 weeks previous to the incident. For example, I remember riding to the hospital with my son, but don't remember getting the MRI. Didn't recall work done on the house or that my daughter had become pregnant during the previous 6 weeks.

Since then I test my memory every day by asking myself what I had for dinner the night before. As long as I can remember that, I fiigure my memory is OK. Sometimes it takes a few seconds, but I always remember it.

Forgetting why you walked into a room is probably common if you are distracted. Whenever I want to google something later while watching TV, there's a good chance I will forget what it was if I don't write it down. The old joke is if you forget where you put your car keys, that's normal. If you find them and don't know what they are used for, that's Alzheimers.

One thing that scared me about a year ago is I went to the ER for a catscan with dye, and when I got back, I couldn't think of the names of things. I wanted my wife to hand me my coat but I couldn't remember what a coat was called so I had to point. It subsided in a few hours, but was a scary feeling.

Last edited by bobspez; 02-12-2020 at 12:20 PM..

Old 02-12-2020, 12:47 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,808,786 times
Alzheimer's is scary as hell. I pray I don't get it. I watch my diet, exercise, have recently cut out fluoride (hopefully not too late), stopped sleeping pills (they can contribute after age 50 with long term use), etc. I hope there's a cure in the next decade or so, but not holding my breath. The good news is my parents never got it, but my paternal grandmother and great aunt (sisters) both did. So I don't know if I have the gene or not. I think getting 23 and me test done and having it evaluated by a doctor would at least give me some piece of mind.

Old 02-24-2020, 02:31 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,332,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Does anyone else go through this kind of short-term memory lapses?

As long as you can remember appointments and to put on your coat, you're good to go. Don't be concerned...it happens to all of us.
I'd keep it under my hat..especially when seeing a doctor.
Main thing is you can still do what needs doing.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:29 PM

15,715 posts, read 9,578,204 times
I'm 49 and have short term memory loss some of which may or may not be related to the 900 mgs of Gabbapentin I take a day for nerve pain. I used to have a memory like an elephant, nit mot anymore. The other day I went into the kitchen to get something to eat. While it was in the microwave, I remembered I needed to get something to drink so I came back to my room to get my cup. Only the cup wasn't there, so I walked back into the kitchen. Sure enough it was on the counter where I no doubt had just put it five minutes prior. Then I remembered I needed to pour the old drink out, so I took the lip off the cup and turned it up over the sink... only to find that the cup was already empty having no doubt emptied it five minutes earlier. So I got more drink and while the microwave was going on took it to my room so I would not forget it. The only reason I remembered this is because I wrote it down at the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health