Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:20 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
What opinions?
Well, let's review a couple.

Quote:
That's my point. On the whole a smart car is not as safe on the road compared to larger vehicles. That, combined with relatively terrible fuel mileage, these cars are not smart... they are stupid.
In your opinion they are stupid. For others whose risk/cost/benefit analysis yields a different conclusion than yours, they are not stupid.

Then there's this bizarre nugget, which is more of a goofy factual claim than an opinion:
Quote:
]The gas guzzling truck is actually more efficient.
Not by any rational measurement of fuel efficiency it's not.

Quote:
Well that's fine, there are several ways of looking at it. However it seems the the ONLY allure of these smart cars is that they are small. There are other vehicles that have BETTER fuel mileage (not efficiency) than the smart, and they are also larger and more powerful. Considering that, I personally don't understand by how people can be so inconvenienced by a lack of the ability to park their vehicle that they must put themselves at a safety risk and drive in relative discomfort.
I suspect you hold this opinion because you have never lived anywhere where parking is at such a premium that the difference between owning a car and not owning a car come down to a) whether you can afford to spend up to $250/mo for off-street parking, or b) you have a car small enough to fit into the gaps that conventional cars won't fit into.

Quote:
My observations are that these things are more of a trend than anything else.
That is your opinion. As long as there are dense urban areas, there is at least a niche market for cars like the smart.

I suspect I "get" the Smart more than most people because I live in one of the dense urban environments for which it is designed. Even though I'd wouldn't own one except in the most desperate circumstance, I certainly understand their appeal. But there are people who are so oblivious to its niche appeal that they can't merely say "this may work out for some folks but it just isn't the car for me," but are actually hostile toward the idea that, yes, it does have legitimate appeal to certain people -- going so far as to decry the possibility as "stupid."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 10:39 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,719,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well, let's review a couple.

In your opinion they are stupid. For others whose risk/cost/benefit analysis yields a different conclusion than yours, they are not stupid.

Then there's this bizarre nugget, which is more of a goofy factual claim than an opinion:

Not by any rational measurement of fuel efficiency it's not.

I suspect you hold this opinion because you have never lived anywhere where parking is at such a premium that the difference between owning a car and not owning a car come down to a) whether you can afford to spend up to $250/mo for off-street parking, or b) you have a car small enough to fit into the gaps that conventional cars won't fit into.

That is your opinion. As long as there are dense urban areas, there is at least a niche market for cars like the smart.

I suspect I "get" the Smart more than most people because I live in one of the dense urban environments for which it is designed. Even though I'd wouldn't own one except in the most desperate circumstance, I certainly understand their appeal. But there are people who are so oblivious to its niche appeal that they can't merely say "this may work out for some folks but it just isn't the car for me," but are actually hostile toward the idea that, yes, it does have legitimate appeal to certain people -- going so far as to decry the possibility as "stupid."
Do you own a smart?

Old 01-08-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Do you own a smart?

Old 01-08-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Use words.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Use words.
Why bother if you're not even going to read my posts?

Old 01-08-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Why bother if you're not even going to read my posts?
Where have you explicitly stated that you DO or DO NOT own one?

Old 01-08-2010, 11:09 AM

You know what, never mind. If you want to argue about whether or not I own a Smart or whether that's even relevant to any of the points I've tried to make, then I'm wasting my time.

I'll conclude just by saying this: nobody is trying to convince you to buy a Smart. We're just trying to say that even though owning one doesn't makes sense for you, it does make sense for some people.

That is all.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
You know what, never mind. If you want to argue about whether or not I own a smart or whether that's even relevant to any of the points I've tried to make, then I'm wasting my time.

I'll conclude just by saying this: nobody is trying to convince you to buy a smart. We're just trying to say that even though owning one doesn't makes sense for you, it does make sense for some people.

That is all.
Unbelievable. You can go through all the trouble of combing this entire thread searching out MY opinions and then neatly organizing them in a post full of MY quotes, yet you can't even answer a simple question I had about YOUR statements.

You obviously see what I am trying to get at. Since your blatantly deflecting... If in fact you don't own a smart I would like to know your reasons why. You sure put alot of passion into defending them. Naturally I am curious.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Unbelievable. You can go through all the trouble of combing this entire thread searching out MY opinions and then neatly organizing them in a post full of MY quotes, yet you can't even answer a simple question I had about YOUR statements.
The answer to the question is completely irrelevant to any point I've tried to make here.

I've said as much as I need to say. I've made my points and you are free to consider them or dismiss them. You seem to have some obsessive need to keep arguing in circles about this. I don't, so I'm done. Move on.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
The answer to the question is completely irrelevant to any point I've tried to make here.

I've said as much as I need to say. I've made my points and you are free to consider them or dismiss them. You seem to have some obsessive need to keep arguing in circles about this. I don't, so I'm done. Move on.
Ok.... so you DON'T own one, I'm guessing you don't even have intentions of ever owning one. Why not? According to you they are the best thing since sliced bread if your a "city slicker". Whats to stop you from buying one? I hope it isn't the dismal fuel efficiency or the less than stellar safety ratings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart