Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:23 PM

88 posts, read 205,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Look what the survivor of that 72 massacred Central Americans paid - $15,000 to be smuggled to the USA. You might get a cheap cartel to smuggle you in for $2,000 but you'd probably have to walk a lot more miles for that. It's $500 alone for all the required documents like stolen social security cards and other IDs.

His wife back in Ecuador, Maria Angelica Lala, 17 years old and pregnant, told Teleamazonas her husband paid $15,000 for the smuggler who was supposed to guide him.

Nation & World | Mexico starts identifying 72 massacred migrants | Seattle Times Newspaper

Drug cartel suspected in massacre of 72 migrants - SignOnSanDiego.com
God, with USD15,000 I could live in Mexico for about 2.5 years without working...My expenses run here for about USD500 a month; Of course, I dont have children or wife...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 09:34 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tono.eslo4 View Post
God, with USD15,000 I could live in Mexico for about 2.5 years without working...My expenses run here for about USD500 a month; Of course, I dont have children or wife...
Yes - how many of us have that kind of cash just sitting around - and this guy paid $15,000 to be smuggled from Ecuador but imagine if people would instead invest their money and their efforts into their homelands instead of paying the cartels that money to smuggle them over borders? Someone with $15,000 cash shouldn't really have to leave his family and work illegally in the first place.

I would guess you can find people working for the cartels who will get you over the border for just $2000 but that would just get you over the border - it would be more expensive if they take you to Houston or Phoenix or other job destinations which also involve highway checkpoints and longer trips.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:10 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,891 times
Thats because is not theirs money. They borrow from family and friends with the promise of pay when they are in the USA. As you can see the vast majority don't make it.

Now, 500 a month? what are you a monk? haha

Old 10-08-2010, 11:49 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
It may be that he paid $15,000 USD but given the due diligence usually paid by reporters I wouldn't bet the farm that is in dollars not pesos or something Ecuadoran. Or that his mother (who talked to the media) inflated the price a bit in case they can get reimbursed by the state.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:37 PM

972 posts, read 3,925,891 times
Maybe so, just remember currency in ecuador is the US Dollar.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:41 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
The only thing I know about Ecuador is it's near the equator.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:30 PM

758 posts, read 2,241,364 times
It's poorer than Mexico by almost every stretch of the imagination.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes - how many of us have that kind of cash just sitting around - and this guy paid $15,000 to be smuggled from Ecuador but imagine if people would instead invest their money and their efforts into their homelands instead of paying the cartels that money to smuggle them over borders? Someone with $15,000 cash shouldn't really have to leave his family and work illegally in the first place.

I would guess you can find people working for the cartels who will get you over the border for just $2000 but that would just get you over the border - it would be more expensive if they take you to Houston or Phoenix or other job destinations which also involve highway checkpoints and longer trips.
Yes, that is my goal, I am working now in Mexico, I am saving my salary and I will invest here, I will create well paid jobs here... USD 15,000 is good money to start a business...

Old 10-08-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
Thats because is not theirs money. They borrow from family and friends with the promise of pay when they are in the USA. As you can see the vast majority don't make it.

Now, 500 a month? what are you a monk? haha
Well, in Mexico life is so much cheaper than in the USA. My family owns a "small" house so I don't pay rent (something that is easier here also than in the USA), food and many utilities are inexpensive. I can go to a market to buy groceries cheaper than in supermarkets or to a big box store like Sam's or Costco...

If I don't want to cook, I can pay for a good meal USD3 in a cocina económica (mom and pop restaurant). And if I want something "fanciest" I can pay USD6 in a Vips Restaurant.

I have a clotheswasher so I don't have to pay for laundry, I put my wet clothes in the line to get dry so I don't use a dryer (I don't pay more for gas and I contribute to the environment) I use only environment friendly soap.

I pay USD20 a month for internet. USD20 a month for phone service. USD30 for gas bimestral. USD20 for water bimestral. USD30 for power/electricity bimestral, USD10 a month for cable tv, etc.

Oh God, life is so cheap and good in Mexico...

And if they borrow USD15,000 from family and friends, why don't they invest that money instead?

Old 10-08-2010, 07:51 PM

469 posts, read 1,256,888 times
Large sums of money that are paid to bring illegals to the U.S. are usually paid by their family members already residing in the U.S. That's the only way it could be 'affordable.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico