Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 06:40 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
LOS ANGELES - For tens of thousands of U.S. Marines in Southern California, new orders from the brass amount to: Baghdad "si," Tijuana "no."

Citing a wave of violence and murder in Mexico, the commanding officer of the Marine expeditionary force based at Camp Pendleton has made the popular military "R&R" destinations of Tijuana and nearby beaches effectively off-limits for his Marines.
Arizoan Republic article

Not good, not good................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 10:38 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,435,459 times
It is their loss, not ours, big time paranoia I'd say!

if we still come to CD in 10 years we'll be laughing at this delusion known as the collapse of Mexico, but I'd say that if the American government is really that concerned with the imaginary collapse of her neighboor, why don't we legalize drugs and end this violence for good?

hmmmmm I guess that politicians, from both sides of the border would miss their drug money, what about the defense contractors, would they resign to those juicy sales that fuel this war?

I don't think so

Old 01-28-2009, 09:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
It's smart to have the military be told crossing over is off-limits simply because it's best to avoid any problems such as the kidnap or accidental shooting and killing of a USA soldier who is partying across the border.

It's like when I would watch some riot or demonstration going on -- invariably someone involved would spot the American or Americans and suggest I/we leave "in case things get heated" and if I asked if I could just watch they'd say sure but if the military or police show up, please quietly leave, don't get involved because the last thing anyone wants is an injury to an American and then our government starts getting involved, and also because whatever the politics going on in Mexico, Americans should not involve ourselves.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:39 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,924,573 times
As former military it is no big deal. whether it be with Mexico or in a foreign country where you are restricted to base...same rules apply. Off limits is Off limits or subject to CO punishment.

As to san Diego...TJ is mainly on Revolution Ave where all the tourists go and the bars are. They are busy every weekend with those 18 or older to drink beer while in the US it's 21.

Am sure the base commander wants to stop any fights do to the drinking....doubt it's over the drug problem as a whole. Sure there is bound to be some guy looking for some weed or coke which he can find in Oceanside which is close by. The drug cartell is not messing with any young military men in TJ. The hassle here in Mexico is with the lower echlon of the trade or payola with some police.

My neignbor two blocks over (police chief) was decapitated a while back and he was an honest police officer.

It may be a case of paranoia or a rule from Washington DC headquarters. Whatever it will pass.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:44 PM

34 posts, read 120,176 times
I'm not afraid of being shot in TJ. I just refuse to go there again because you can't walk down the street with out someone BARKING at you to come into their store, resturaunt or bar every 10 feet. Tecate, to the east, is a much beter place to visit. The extra drive is made up by the ease of crossing and is worth the drive.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:54 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,623,824 times
Tijuana off-limits to U.S. Navy also. At least it was when we visited our son in San Deigo in 1990.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:25 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,421 times
We had dudes coming back to the barracks drunk wearing sombreros. Just say you're with the <insert college here> wrestling team if you get asked by the MPs if you're in the military and do not carry your military id.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico