Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,548 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody! Going next week to Cancun and I was wondering if anyone knows a good dentist around the area. i need 3 porcelain crowns and probably one root canal. The doctor must be fluent in English. I would appreciate any useful information. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,609 times
Look for Cancun Cosmetic Dentistry.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:02 PM

770 posts, read 2,754,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf3310 View Post
Hello everybody! Going next week to Cancun and I was wondering if anyone knows a good dentist around the area. i need 3 porcelain crowns and probably one root canal. The doctor must be fluent in English. I would appreciate any useful information. Thank you.
Did you use cancun cosmetic dentistry? If so how would you rate them?

Old 08-07-2012, 09:24 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf3310 View Post
Contact the American Embassy in Mexico City before you leave, and ask for a referral. I'm surprised you're leaving without already having an appointment (or two, or three). There are US-trained dentists around Mexico, people who have gone through dental school in the US, and have all the latest equipment.

If you can't find a number for the Embassy, call or email the State Department and ask for it. Med and dental referrals are a service US Embassies provide to US citizens abroad.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:53 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times
Why would you call the U.S. embassy for this? And why look specifically for a U.S.-trained dentist? Isn't the whole point of getting it done in Mexico to save money, not pay U.S. prices while abroad?

Old 08-12-2012, 05:08 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Calling the US Embassy/Consulate is not for "Information Please" like with the telephone operator.

They are there to supply any help to American citizens while in a Foreign country.

I do know this for a fact. Lost my Passpoert after arriving at Mexico City airport. Discovered mine gone after arriving at Hotel. Next morning took a Taxi to the Embassy. Explained my problem to the woman at the front window...they gave me a tag....went thru the metal detector...took me up the stairs to a room where a Embassy employee gave me a typed letter (letterhead) explaining that I was an American Citizen and they would vouch for me. I only had my DL/Credit cards to show what/who I was and they trusted me. That letter allowed me to leave the airport a few days later. Cannot get any better then that.

Need information......Dial Operator.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Why would you call the U.S. embassy for this? And why look specifically for a U.S.-trained dentist? Isn't the whole point of getting it done in Mexico to save money, not pay U.S. prices while abroad?
They don't charge US prices, silly. It's US quality for Mexican prices, though higher-end Mexican prices, because they have US equipment. If you want to entrust your teeth and gums to a locally-trained dentist, that's your choice. Not everyone would make that choice.

Here in NM, people save hundreds of dollars by taking a bus across the border to Mexico to see US dentists, US-born, raised and trained dentists. You're making a mistaken assumption about pricing of the services.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Calling the US Embassy/Consulate is not for "Information Please" like with the telephone operator.

They are there to supply any help to American citizens while in a Foreign country.
Sorry, gang, but they do provide this service. I've done it in a couple of countries in Latin America--called them for med or dental referrals.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:35 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times
I am pretty sure the Mexican dental schools are perfectly capable of training dentists... and the equipment sold in Mexico is perfectly fine as well.

Just got some fillings done in Guadalajara last week, and the dentist was Mexican trained. She did a fine job.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:04 AM

Fillings are the easiest part. Crowns, root canals, gum disease etc. take a whole other level of expertise. You can be taking chances with locally-trained dentists, it's hit-and-miss. If you get a recommendation from the Embassy, you know you have nothing to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico