Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 02:08 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,052,649 times

Advertisements

Watch the video at the end of the article.

Mexicans spend on average 10 hours of paid and unpaid work per day. Followed by Japanese and Portuguese.

Quote:
The researchers found that Mexican people spent nearly 10 hours per day on working, studying and doing chores over the seven-day week. That included about 5.7 hours a day on paid work or studying, and the rest on chores.
Life Inc. - Who works hardest? Answer may surprise you

Countries 1-14 are on this article:

The Hardest Working Countries In The World

Quote:
#1 Mexico
Total minutes worked per day: 594
Total unpaid minutes worked per day: 253
Total paid minutes worked per day: 342
Source: OECD
I'm sure Mexicans contributed to the ranking of #9 as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 05:06 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,287,451 times
I'm not sure this is even something to be proud of. As my bosses always say, "work smarter not harder".

Mexicans don't really strike me as the most educated people with the cleanest homes in the world, and the infrastructure is definitely not as developed as many other countries, so where is all that labor going?

Here's a question to ponder. Does putting in more hours per day really mean you are working harder or perhaps just working slower?

Old 04-15-2011, 09:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,158,352 times
That is a completely meaningless statistic. All it counts is the length of a work day for a person who is actually working that day. It doesn't account for countries in which there is a lot of seasonal work, where some workers work very long hours some days and not at all on other days. Or countries that have intentionally structured their labor practices so that many people have part-time jobs, instead a few people having full time jobs. It also does not take account of how overtime is paid, which may make it easy or difficult for an employer to schedule overtime.

It also includes housework. A Mexican housewife will typically spend many hours a day preparing meals from raw ingredients and doing the family laundry on rocks in the river, whereas the American housewife tosses the laundry into an automatic washer and puts convenience food in the microwave or orders a delivered pizza, but needs to have a full-time job to supplement the household budget.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:16 PM

70 posts, read 129,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That is a completely meaningless statistic. All it counts is the length of a work day for a person who is actually working that day. It doesn't account for countries in which there is a lot of seasonal work, where some workers work very long hours some days and not at all on other days. Or countries that have intentionally structured their labor practices so that many people have part-time jobs, instead a few people having full time jobs. It also does not take account of how overtime is paid, which may make it easy or difficult for an employer to schedule overtime.

It also includes housework. A Mexican housewife will typically spend many hours a day preparing meals from raw ingredients and doing the family laundry on rocks in the river, whereas the American housewife tosses the laundry into an automatic washer and puts convenience food in the microwave or orders a delivered pizza, but needs to have a full-time job to supplement the household budget.
OMG! I like how you have so many stereotypes LOL...

Old 04-15-2011, 11:06 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,155,858 times
thats great as long as all this hard work is being done legally. It dont count if they arent doing it in MEXICO legally you know. Then it would have merrit.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,158,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoy1 View Post
OMG! I like how you have so many stereotypes LOL...

That was meant to be comparative, and the number of Mexicans who still live like that is large enough to significantly impact the statistics on how much the average person works at home. When I go to Mexico, I see plenty of people who live like that, so perhaps it looks more typical to me than it really is.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:47 AM

I did not post this to brag or for "proudness". I posted it to open discussion as I have my own views on it as well.

For one, I have to agree that working that many hours per day, technically is not the best. Also, lets keep in mind that there are things done the old fashioned way ( or like my mother would say, en el "anyo" del caldo.) A few weeks ago after a public hearing, a lawyer made a public statement mocking District 12 because it was going at the rate of 12 words per minute. Not long ago, I was reading an article in one of the major newspapers where it displayed a man who was taking down a report at the police station, in writing, while it had a computer next to him. It must have taken him double the work to first do it in writing, then transfer all the data into the computer. Why not cut his time down by only entering it in the PC.

On the other hand, agricultural work sometimes does force you to work overtime. Some people work from sunrise to sundown. They have no choice.

The other thing that comes to mind is that Mexicans may work so many hours per day but if you count the number of days they observe during the year, I think they also outnumber many of the top ten countries listed as "hard working". This may be one of the reasons why Mexican society is much more stress free than others.

One of the comments on the video I do agree with is that in Mexico, people still spend time in the kitchen cooking, even if it takes them all evening. Compared to American society, it is either cooking quick meals or simply eating out.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
thats great as long as all this hard work is being done legally. It dont count if they arent doing it in MEXICO legally you know. Then it would have merrit.
I'm not following...

Old 04-16-2011, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
I'm not sure this is even something to be proud of. As my bosses always say, "work smarter not harder".

Mexicans don't really strike me as the most educated people with the cleanest homes in the world, and the infrastructure is definitely not as developed as many other countries, so where is all that labor going?

Here's a question to ponder. Does putting in more hours per day really mean you are working harder or perhaps just working slower?
I agree with much of your comments diver. I think it is best to work smarter and not harder. I even agree with you that Mexicans are not the most educated people, being that 70% of Mexicans cannot afford higher education.

However, not having the "cleanest homes in the world" to me is a stereotype but I will wait for you to show a credible source or at least back up you statement with a fact. As far as infrastructure is concerned, that may be geared more toward lack of funds than lack of willingness to work. Who wouldn't want to have employment particularly these days? Just like the U.S. we aren't really building. Does this mean the U.S. is working slower? Not at all.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That was meant to be comparative, and the number of Mexicans who still live like that is large enough to significantly impact the statistics on how much the average person works at home. When I go to Mexico, I see plenty of people who live like that, so perhaps it looks more typical to me than it really is.
Many people in Mexico own washing machines. I will say that while the culture in the US is to put all the clothes in the washing machine and let it do all the work, in Mexico whites are washed by hand before they go in a washing machine and prior to that, they are placed in a bucket with soap to soak. Moreover, drying clothes in the dryer is not as popular as it is in the US. People still prefer to hand their clothes and wait for natural sunlight to dry them. At least, that is how the majority of Mexican women wash that I have seen and that is how my mother taught me. This can greatly increase the amount of house work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico