Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 06:36 PM

12 posts, read 22,195 times

Advertisements

I want to move to the interior of Mexico for a couple of years to learn how to cook the food of that region. I'm hoping that a TEFL/TESOL certification, along with my decade's worth of teaching in the business sector and my assoc. degree in US History, can get me a job that pays a decent enough wage (not a fortune) that I will have enough time for my own pursuits.

My needs are *very* simple, and this would not be my first time abroad and going without the usual American amenities. I don't even need electricity or running water, as long as I have a decent gas or wood stove, a water tank, and a backyard area for cooking.

I'm hoping to work in a town under 500,000-300,000 population, as I've found that "old country" foodways and traditions tend to thrive in these more rural places. I've also been told that the smaller the place, the bigger the need for teachers and other professionals. I should add that I speak very poor Spanish atm, but I'm very eager to learn. (BTW, the TEFL/TESOL certs don't require fluency in other languages.)

So, is this doable or am I pipe-dreaming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 06:59 PM

469 posts, read 1,256,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqlover View Post
I want to move to the interior of Mexico for a couple of years to learn how to cook the food of that region.
Although I can't provide a good answer to your question, I had to say good luck on such a fun-sounding project.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:12 PM

thanks!

Old 03-16-2011, 12:39 AM

anyone?

Old 03-16-2011, 10:01 PM

Bummer. I was hoping for a better response than this. :/

Old 03-17-2011, 12:00 AM

469 posts, read 1,256,778 times
Quote:
Bummer. I was hoping for a better response than this. :/
There are often teaching opportunities for native English speakers with your qualifications. Several here have previously discussed the issues around working in Mexico and probably wouldn't mind restating their advice on that point. Certain principal cities would have a greater need than those places you might identify for your cooking studies. One frequent source for English teaching jobs is The News (published in English in Mexico City) job classifieds. You might call a couple of language schools in Mexico simply to ask some basic questions to assess your chances for finding employment. How flexible is the timing of your intended trip? My personal experience in Mexico was outstanding regarding opportunities, and I expect your passion would lead you to amazing adventures consistent with your dream.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:09 PM

254 posts, read 590,883 times
Teaching is far more underpaid in Mexico than in the US so be aware of that. Getting a job as an English teacher should be very possible in large Universities or prestigious schools, even if you do not speak Spanish. I had several Canadian teachers in Mexico that traveled around the world, they would live for a couple of years in Mexico and then move somewhere else. Other higher paying jobs that require English would most probably require you to speak Spanish as well.

You could try and look for teaching jobs on ITESM, its a large private system with college campuses and high schools around the country, some of them located close or in small towns (Cuernavaca, Hidalgo). They have a lot of programs in English so I guess they have needs all the time.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:15 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,341,727 times
A well paid teacher with a BA in a private school makes about $6000 MXP a month. In a University he might make $8000 MXP a month.

I don't think a smaller town will need a paid English teacher since it probably has a hard enough time paying its needed teachers. People might want to learn English but they would have to pay out of their own pockets. You would need to financially qualify to live in Mexico, be approved to work and have a work permit. That will cost you about $600 USD the first year. People cannot enter Mexico and start working anymore than they can cross into the US and legally work and live without papers.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:38 AM

Thanks for the responses, folks. From what I'm seeing, it would be pretty tough to make a go of it in Mexico with less than a BA or MA. Therefore, I'm looking at other locales as well.

Thanks again

Old 03-23-2011, 09:15 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,341,727 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses, folks. From what I'm seeing, it would be pretty tough to make a go of it in Mexico with less than a BA or MA. Therefore, I'm looking at other locales as well.

Thanks again
You couldn't make a decent living with a BA or MA in Mexico compared to the U.S. Mexico is great for retirement but not if you want to make money. Almost all the younger, non-retired people I've known who were working here have moved back to the U.S. or Canada so they can earn enough for retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico