Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 04:21 PM

603 posts, read 967,176 times

Advertisements

I have extended family in Mexico.
My wife won't "allow me" to step over the border, even by cab, to scurry like a roach into and out of he doc and pharmcy.
I want to see a doctor there.

We simply do not have the $ to go and see a doc here.
Had two moles cut off recently = $800. Eight hundred dollars.
For an tiny injection of novacaine and a swift cut of the blade.

One mole is still there. ~$800.

My family is broken.
We're beyond broke, we're in debt up to our eyeballs.

SO:
Is it legal TO BRING BACK MEDS FOR PERSONAL USE?

Lastly, can I just have a phone consultation, international (with my spouse as interpreter)?

GOD, this sounds desperate, and that's exactly how I feel.
Thanks again C-D, you have saved my (tuckus) on many occasions.
Thank you.

Again.

EDIT:
A phone consultation with the doctor in Mexico?
And me here, (Texas) ...basically bedridden. Is that legal?

Is it in a shady area??? What??

Thanks.
Sorry, snappy...feeling ill.

Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 05:01 PM

111 posts, read 150,022 times
Do it, just do it during the day(light). Arrive at the border at about 8 am, when the sun is up. You may need a US Passport to cross the border. Write down the doctors' adress, check out the location on google street view previously.
Some doctors might even offer pick up service from the border by taxi.
Ask the cab driver if they accept USD before you bord the cab.

In all Mexico, apply friendly but firm. The firmer you appear, the less something will happen to you.

Where exactly in TX are you located?

About medications: I really don't know, never brought anything into the US.

Doctor's services taken by me so far have been excellent + cheap.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:02 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,371,306 times
I believe if you have the prescription from a legal doctor in mexico you should not have any issues.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:55 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Call border patrol and ask what you need in hand to bring your medications home after your doctor visit. Not worth finding out something like this the hard way. Otherwise find a free clinic in the area you live and go there. Why are you bedridden?? The moles?? You may need to go to the emergency room if this is caused by your mole removal....you may have an infection. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:43 PM

861 posts, read 1,249,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceInTheCrowd View Post
I have extended family in Mexico.
My wife won't "allow me" to step over the border, even by cab, to scurry like a roach into and out of he doc and pharmcy.
I want to see a doctor there.

We simply do not have the $ to go and see a doc here.
Had two moles cut off recently = $800. Eight hundred dollars.
For an tiny injection of novacaine and a swift cut of the blade.

One mole is still there. ~$800.

My family is broken.
We're beyond broke, we're in debt up to our eyeballs.

SO:
Is it legal TO BRING BACK MEDS FOR PERSONAL USE?

Lastly, can I just have a phone consultation, international (with my spouse as interpreter)?

GOD, this sounds desperate, and that's exactly how I feel.

Your answer is here: Prohibited and Restricted Items - CBP.gov

Thanks again C-D, you have saved my (tuckus) on many occasions.
Thank you.

Again.

EDIT:
A phone consultation with the doctor in Mexico?
And me here, (Texas) ...basically bedridden. Is that legal?

Is it in a shady area??? What??

Thanks.
Sorry, snappy...feeling ill.

Please help.
Your Answer is Here: Prohibited and Restricted Items - CBP.gov

Old 09-25-2012, 06:51 PM

305 posts, read 553,559 times
There was an American who went to Mexico for cheap dental work. He was 88. Ended up in jail for two months.

American, 88, freed after two months in Mexican jail - CNN

Old 09-25-2012, 08:24 PM

305 posts, read 750,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthevergeofanervous View Post
There was an American who went to Mexico for cheap dental work. He was 88. Ended up in jail for two months.

American, 88, freed after two months in Mexican jail - CNN
Moral of the story I guess is that you shouldn't travel with your pedophile grandson to Mexico. Whether or not he was actually a pedophile or not, he was pretty stupid to be offering $25 to take teenage girls' pictures in the first place. So, I don't know who's right, but that's a highly suspicious start. In any case, this should serve as absolutely no deterrent for someone going to Mexico for medical or dental care.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:15 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
If someone charged you US$800 to remove a mole, you were had. I rather doubt this happened, but if you say so. Next time visit a reputable dermatologist near where you live.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:41 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
If someone charged you US$800 to remove a mole, you were had. I rather doubt this happened, but if you say so. Next time visit a reputable dermatologist near where you live.

I don't know what your experience has been with the US health care system, but $800 is about right. That would be his portion, deductible, copay. I had a reputable dermatologist want to charge $300 to remove some skin tags! I just removed them myself! But I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself for a mole. It could be cancerous. Probably the mole was so expensive because it involved pathology to see if it was cancerous.

We have insurance--Blue Cross. The copays on my RX drugs comes to $300/month. But, its better than paying it all yourself. A tube of cream--psorcon---retail is $711--for a 3-month supply

Oh, BTW, that cream isn't some wrinkle remover. Its a high-potency steroid cream I use to treat psoraisis.

The health care system in this country is flat out broken............Interesting, people come to this country for jobs, and we go to other countries for health care!

Old 09-25-2012, 09:41 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
I'm in San Diego, and cross the border into Tijuana every few months to buy medication, and have never had a problem. As long as you don't bring back an excessive amount of medication, you won't have a problem. When I go to the doctor in TJ, it cost me $30.

Not every city has free clinics, they have restrictions on who they treat. In San Diego, the one and only free clinic is for the homeless. People are waiting in line for them to open, and when they do, numbers are given out. A good number of people are turned away, because they only give out a certain amount of numbers each time the clinic is open (which isn't every day.) The physicians are students, and they do what they can, under supervision from a doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico