Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 03:36 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times

Advertisements

Tourists, especially Americans, are hands-off in Mexico, except maybe to the police. My guess if a lower-level gang member did kill an American tourist, he would swiftly "disappear" himself for the heat it would bring the cartel in question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 04:07 PM

15 posts, read 45,170 times
Exactly Natural510. The violence caused by the drug cartels will most likely never effect American toursists outside of isolated/rare incidents. They don't want the US government more involved in drugs wars/trafficking anymore so than they already are.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:22 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0114 View Post
Exactly Natural510. The violence caused by the drug cartels will most likely never effect American toursists outside of isolated/rare incidents. They don't want the US government more involved in drugs wars/trafficking anymore so than they already are.
Give me a break. First off, the 2012 murder rates are the most recent ones. They haven't published the 2013 murder rates because there is still seven months left in the year. Nice try at spinning the facts to make Mexico sound like a safe haven for tourists.

Second, have you heard of Google? Try searching for "tourists killed in Mexico" and see how many hits you come up with. Of course, you are free to believe that all the reports you find are tourists that were mixed up with dope, just like you are free to believe that the world is flat and the moon is made out of green cheese. I just wouldn't hold my breath expecting anyone with a half a brain in their head to agree with you.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:21 AM

305 posts, read 750,422 times
If you google "school shootings U.S." you'll also come up with many, many hits of many different incidents. But I guess you wouldn't send your kids to school in the U.S. because there may be a school shooting?

Old 05-15-2013, 02:52 PM

I can't even believe I continue to repsond to this - but seriously Annuvin - get a clue! Use this magical google tool you have and type in murder rate in Cancun Mexico. Most recent data I could find over the last ten minutes was 2. Thats right, 2/100,000 (from 2010). Roughly 1/4 the murder rate of Orlando, Florida (7.5 per 100k) or not even comparable to St.Louis (40 per 100k!!!!). This topic is about Cancun which if you ask anyone who has visited they will tell you its a safe and plesant experience. I know this is hard for you to follow - but drug cartels to not typcially have their battles within the friendly confines of a Dreams or Sandals resort. They usually have them on major transportation routes between the point of manufacture and the point of sale. If you look at map of Mexico a strong presence of drug cartel would make no sense from a logistics point of view which is why the city is so safe compared to other parts of the country. Again, are there dangerous parts of Mexico - absolutely! Is Cancun one of them - no.

Last edited by nick0114; 05-15-2013 at 03:23 PM..

Old 05-15-2013, 03:57 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0114 View Post
This topic is about Cancun which if you ask anyone who has visited they will tell you its a safe and plesant experience. I know this is hard for you to follow - but drug cartels to not typcially have their battles within the friendly confines of a Dreams or Sandals resort. They usually have them on major transportation routes between the point of manufacture and the point of sale. If you look at map of Mexico a strong presence of drug cartel would make no sense from a logistics point of view which is why the city is so safe compared to other parts of the country. Again, are there dangerous parts of Mexico - absolutely! Is Cancun one of them - no.
Interesting... I googled "Canadian tourist killed in Cancun" and here's what I came up with:

Gunmen open fire in Cancun bar | World | News | The London Free Press

8 die in Cancun bombing, raising fear among Canadian tourists

6 strangled, 1 decapitated in Mexican tourist resort

Drug violence chills Cancun as 'fun sun' hot spot- MSN Money

Bungling of Ianiero murder case tied to Mexican tourist trade: lawyer - Canada - CBC News

I disregarded the dozen or so stories about tourists falling to their deaths from their balconies and dying in explosions on resorts that the Mexican authorities claim are from "natural causes".

Sorry bud, but the facts don't seem to back up your claims. While Cancun may seem "safe" when compared to the rest of Mexico, it is a lot more dangerous when compared to places like Las Vegas, Florida, NYC and Cuba.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:40 PM

Lets see here - 2 of these stories are repeats of eachother, one is from 2010, and another is about some corrupt lawyer? Granted there are two stories of actual violence that have occured in the past few months in the city of Cancun - doing a little research would show that these occurred on the Northside of Cancun roughly 30-60 miles (depending on where you stay) from the 'resort area' of the city and did not occur anywhere near an actual all-inclusive resort that we normal folks (3.5 million in 2012) stay at. Both of those incidents are speculated as drug related violence and did NOT involve the death or injury of toursists. So lets see here - in that same time frame of the incidents that occurred in 2013 (15 people killed over a 3 month period) there were about 120 people killed in Chicago, Illinois. Still not selling me or anyone else who has ever visited. By the way, I'm actually leaving for a resort in Cancun on Sunday - will be my 4th time. Hope I make it back alive! = )

Old 05-16-2013, 10:46 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
People need to ignore Oshawa re his remarks about Mexico and the crime there.

He lives in a small town (pop 2011 149,607) just a 1/2 hr drive east of Toronto.

I know of the area having been born in Hamilton and raised there.

Heck, when I lived in Mexico City the population was over 20 million and that was in 1987.

According to my Google reading Ont does have a low crime rate (could be the honest people or LOW population).

Crime does happen unfortunetly no matter where a person lives or visits (human nature) so caution is needed.

All cities or small towns have a Police force be it for the occasional crime committed or as a Revenue source...that's it period.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:36 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,035,578 times
What you people are saying doesn't make much sense. You admit that the murder rate is high, but turn around and say that tourists have some magic juju that will prevent the violence from affecting them?

Sounds like a load of you-know-what to me. Yes, a tourist will probably be completely safe if they fly in, and make sure not to wander more than a quarter mile from the resort property.... but many people who bother travel to a different country aren't interested in only seeing the hotel lobby for their entire visit.

If you think that there aren't folks who are completely willing to take advantage of a tourist that won't be in town long enough to identify them, then you are being naive. I don't see how looking at a crime rate is a bad prognosticator of the likelihood of running into trouble (as you folks are suggesting).

Old 05-17-2013, 08:02 AM

836 posts, read 2,948,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
What you people are saying doesn't make much sense. You admit that the murder rate is high, but turn around and say that tourists have some magic juju that will prevent the violence from affecting them?

Sounds like a load of you-know-what to me. Yes, a tourist will probably be completely safe if they fly in, and make sure not to wander more than a quarter mile from the resort property.... but many people who bother travel to a different country aren't interested in only seeing the hotel lobby for their entire visit.

If you think that there aren't folks who are completely willing to take advantage of a tourist that won't be in town long enough to identify them, then you are being naive. I don't see how looking at a crime rate is a bad prognosticator of the likelihood of running into trouble (as you folks are suggesting).
Is really easy to understand.

The violence is directed to members of organized crime.

If you are a tourist, you don't have to be worried that some one will strangled or decapited you, that things doesn't happens to tourists and if happens is very rare.

If you go to Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Xcaret, Xplore, Xelha, Sian Kaan, Chichen Itza, Coba, Valladolid, you don't have any problem as those are touristic zones, very safe and well protected.

You don't stay closed in the hotel, you take tours to this sites and I never see any report of criminal problems in tourist zones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico