Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 01:17 PM

61 posts, read 78,198 times

Advertisements

Should any consideration be given to the type of work system such as the high performance work system or is that not relevant if the driving force for moving to Mexico is lower labor costs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 01:32 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Cannot fathom why anyone would consider working in Mexico unless they are a Dr, Lawyer, PH.d etc as the wages would be a lot lower then the US.

They are doing construction across the street from me....roughly a 8 hr day 7:15 to about 4:15 and about one hr for lunch.

They are working HARD with a lot of standing around and many small breaks for $20 a day.

There has to be a reason why many do not have a car but take the local Route Taxis to and from work.

If this info sounds good then anyone should jump up and go for it.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:12 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesoprano View Post
Should any consideration be given to the type of work system such as the high performance work system or is that not relevant if the driving force for moving to Mexico is lower labor costs?
The post is very confusing as I am not sure if you are talking about working in Mexico or hiring a workforce.

If you are talking about working in Mexico, I give you the following advice from a Doctor who retired there . The local doctors will fight you tooth and nail over patients that can pay you. They will probably win because with the civil service on their side, they can almost always show that you are not licensed properly.

If you want to help poor peasant women, there is almost nobody that will check your credentials.

If you want to teach English you can make a passable income sometimes. Unskilled labor is almost completely out of the question. Many people make a living over the internet, some of whom are involved in the arts.

There are a limited number of jobs in manufacturing as engineers.

If you want to hire a labor force, the problem is that in the search for the bottom, there are many people willing to work for far less than Mexicans. The argument used to be that shipping costs would naturally be lower, and the original vision was manufacturing facilities just on the Mexican side of the border, and R&D centers on the US side. The vision almost never panned out in reality.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:10 PM

305 posts, read 750,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
If you want to teach English you can make a passable income sometimes.
Depending on experience and qualifications this can range from as listed, passable, to a higher standard of living many times over. I know some teachers here who make over $40,000 pesos per month and they'd be making a whole lot less back in the U.S. or England. This makes for a much higher standard of living as the cost of living is obviously a lot lower. This is not the norm, but teaching at a private K-12 in D.F. can easily make $15,000 to $30,000+ monthly for native speakers with even just a little teaching experience and having a university degree, but not having a specialized teaching degree from their home country. Of course, then you have to put up with those kids, so it's a trade-off I say.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:39 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
One BIG consideration: Can you get a visa that allows you to work? They are not handed out upon request, you know.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:32 PM

60 posts, read 297,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
One BIG consideration: Can you get a visa that allows you to work? They are not handed out upon request, you know.
People used to be able to come to Mexico on a tourist (FMM) visa, find a job and then that job would do the paperwork to transfer the tourist visa to a work visa which used to be the FM-2. Now I believe one would have to get a job offer and then start the process for a work visa in the states at the Mexican Consulate.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:35 PM

60 posts, read 297,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3dw View Post
I know some teachers here who make over $40,000 pesos per month.
VERY rare. Not the norm plus the private schools that pay those salaries is not an easy place to work in. The kids and their parents will drive a teacher insane.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:10 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,342,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3dw View Post
Depending on experience and qualifications this can range from as listed, passable, to a higher standard of living many times over. I know some teachers here who make over $40,000 pesos per month and they'd be making a whole lot less back in the U.S. or England. This makes for a much higher standard of living as the cost of living is obviously a lot lower. This is not the norm, but teaching at a private K-12 in D.F. can easily make $15,000 to $30,000+ monthly for native speakers with even just a little teaching experience and having a university degree, but not having a specialized teaching degree from their home country. Of course, then you have to put up with those kids, so it's a trade-off I say.
I think you added too many zeros to the wages you are citing. Most teachers earn about $6-$7000 a month not $40,000 a month. Police officers are paid about the same which makes graft a necessary way to survive.

The main thing you want to have to work in Mexico is permission to work in Mexico. You can be deported if caught working without permission just like foreigners in the U.S. who are caught working without permission.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:49 PM

305 posts, read 750,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
I think you added too many zeros to the wages you are citing. Most teachers earn about $6-$7000 a month not $40,000 a month. Police officers are paid about the same which makes graft a necessary way to survive.

The main thing you want to have to work in Mexico is permission to work in Mexico. You can be deported if caught working without permission just like foreigners in the U.S. who are caught working without permission.
I was referring to D.F. You won't find any native speakers working full-time making $6-$7,000 in D.F. even if they have no teaching experience or a university degree...

The $40,000 number is very rare as I admit. But it's not unheard of either. I have a pretty good grasp of the wages as I am a teacher in Mexico City and have three years teaching here.

I don't make anywhere near those numbers, but I don't have the patience for disciplining children (I only do business classes, usually 1 to 1- but even that pays $10,000 to $20,000+ depending on how much you want to work and how many private students you have).

Old 09-05-2013, 08:31 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
In Mexico the money we talk is in PESOS.....NOT US dollars.

A Mexico $ sign has only ONE slash thru it while the US $ has TWO....big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico